• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (1 Viewer)

a friend has lent me his canon 1D mk4 for the weekend to evaluate ,the first couple of test shots on the obligatory seagulls look good to me ,just bolted the lens on and away no other adjustments needed .certainly improves the i.q instantly ,just now need to test properly on a 7d2 to find out which is best ,then i'll put a action plan together

Attachments

• 1d4 test 2.jpg
    1d4 test 2.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 1D.MK4 test 3.jpg
    1D.MK4 test 3.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 78
Love that Gannet, hadn't seen that one yet. Did you keep the OS switched on while photographing the BIF Jeff?

some i post on here haven't yet gone on flickr paul ,yes i always have O.S switched on as 99% of the time i hand hold,using a 1D series camera i use a a/f method known as the ring of fire for b.i.f as long as the backgrounds clear it works perfectly

some more shots from this evening after the rain cleared ,again sigma lens and 1D4

Attachments

• 1D4 test 6.jpg
    1D4 test 6.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 1D4 test 5 .jpg
    1D4 test 5 .jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 1D4 test 4 .jpg
    1D4 test 4 .jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 1D4 test 7.jpg
    1D4 test 7.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 175
couple more the gannets with the 1d3 and the pippit with the 70d .cant really knock i.q from either

Attachments

• the home builders .jpg
    the home builders .jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 168
  • the lookout .jpg
    the lookout .jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 171
couple of shots from yesterday ,had a head to head with my lad ,my 1d3 10mp and 70d 20mp and the sigma lens -v- his nikon d810 36mp and 500mm f4vr plus 1.4tc ,the results have even blown me away theres approximately a 5 to 6k price differential there but the sigma blew him out of the water .i have even p/p one of his virtually identical shots to mine myself so they are both done the same .same results .
my shots below the static is with the 70d the flight one is the 1d3

Attachments

• the evil eye .jpg
    the evil eye .jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 199
  • the eyes have it .jpg
    the eyes have it .jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 178
Would be interesting to see his results too Jeff. I assume that the results from his set-up but without the tc surpass the sigma?

Paul

no i won't publish them paul you will have to take my word for it .might cause trouble ,he is not a happy bunny at the moment ,and as to the second part again nope equal but not surpass .

couple of shots from yesterday ,had a head to head with my lad ,my 1d3 10mp and 70d 20mp and the sigma lens -v- his nikon d810 36mp and 500mm f4vr plus 1.4tc ,the results have even blown me away theres approximately a 5 to 6k price differential there but the sigma blew him out of the water .i have even p/p one of his virtually identical shots to mine myself so they are both done the same .same results .
my shots below the static is with the 70d the flight one is the 1d3

Hard to tell anything Jeff re the test. Would love to see his shots. I can tell you that I shot with a friend who has a d810 and the Nikon 300 2.8 that he shoots with a 2x and 1.4x. The image quality he gets is fantastic and so is his ability to crop. IQ is better than the Canon 7d2 and the C for sure. So much so that I have considered getting that camera or perhaps the Canon 5ds. As for your shots it is hard to tell anything. The head is both over exposed and soft. The flying gull is over exposed and has bad shadows as well. Head looks fairly sharp. Honestly it would be hard to believe that anyone shooting with a d810 and a 500f4 would not come up with considerably better results than those pics, assuming they knew what they were doing and had proper settings and held still when shooting. Something is just not adding up.

Hard to tell anything Jeff re the test. Would love to see his shots. I can tell you that I shot with a friend who has a d810 and the Nikon 300 2.8 that he shoots with a 2x and 1.4x. The image quality he gets is fantastic and so is his ability to crop. IQ is better than the Canon 7d2 and the C for sure. So much so that I have considered getting that camera or perhaps the Canon 5ds. As for your shots it is hard to tell anything. The head is both over exposed and soft. The flying gull is over exposed and has bad shadows as well. Head looks fairly sharp. Honestly it would be hard to believe that anyone shooting with a d810 and a 500f4 would not come up with considerably better results than those pics, assuming they knew what they were doing and had proper settings and held still when shooting. Something is just not adding up.

I agree with Isaacs observations in regards to the images, and would also be shocked if the images beat out a d810 with a 500 f4. Unless something was wrong with the gear or shooter, the d810 combo should be winning 95% of the time.

Isaac also keep in mind if you plan to upgrade to a d810 or 5dsr that you will have to possibly consider an upgrade to the sport due to the fact that the C vignettes heavily on FF sensors

Cheers m8s

His Nikon gear is going back to Nikon today for the second time in two weeks for re.calibration ,as I said he is not a happy bunny . Personally I think I will sell up and take up knitting as my photos are so bad

In Cyprus I had the chance to compare a canon 1div and 7d2 with the Canon 500mm mk1 and 1.4x II versus the Sigma 150-600mm contemporary (using the same cameras) and also the Nikon 300mm pf with the 1.7x and 2x with the D7200. Results from the 3 sets were almost indistinguishable so that proves that the Sigma really punches above its weight.

In addition to that I also compared the D810 and the Nikon 500mm that belong to a friend with the contemporary and pf. Again results were so close that my friend is seriously thinking of selling the 500mm f4 as the only real advantage is when he really needs f4.

And I Love Knitting

Perhaps we should take up knitting covers for super zoom lenses mic ,we could also do spectacle cases for certain people to put there rose tinted glasses in LOL

just done a large crop (2.6mp ) of a puffin launch off at bempton cliffs ,1dmk3 10mp,sigma 150-600mm sport ,hand held .spent a fair bit of time correcting blue (reflected sea/sky) colour cast on the cliffs quite pleased with this result .

Attachments

• JUMP !.jpg
    JUMP !.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 312
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back