• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (3 Viewers)

couple from sat ,f. blackcap and wheatear

Wanted to drop in and just say that one thing I find very powerful in your photography is your composition. You have a good eye for cropping/composing your images appropriately, and sometimes that makes all the difference in an otherwise lack-lusted shot. Thanks for sharing.

Wanted to drop in and just say that one thing I find very powerful in your photography is your composition. You have a good eye for cropping/composing your images appropriately, and sometimes that makes all the difference in an otherwise lack-lusted shot. Thanks for sharing.

I find Jeff's captures and post processing just fine. It's sharp and clear and more neutral in colours. I find most photographers that's been around since the film days are more appreciate towards neutral natural tones, rather than eye popping over saturation and overly contrast and overly sharpened compositions. It's a matter of taste, some people prefer ear deafening loud modern music, and some people prefer easy listening symphony music. To my eyes and preferences, Jeff's pictures are SUPERB! Nuff said.

Last edited:
Jeff, if I was you I would hang on and wait for prices to fall or grab a second hand one when they come up. I seen one on wex for £1300 ish.

Jeff, if I was you I would hang on and wait for prices to fall or grab a second hand one when they come up. I seen one on wex for £1300 ish.
Assume you are talking abut the 7D2 Paul,I bought mine new for a lot less than that recently (three year guarantee as well as opposed to the one year from Canon). I got mine from HDEW as I have used them several times in the past with no problems - you can get one cheaper still from Panamoz (£1035 with Bacs) but decided to stick with HDEW.
Just saying!

Yes 7d2 Roy I would like one myself when I can, it offers so much more than the 1dmk3 but it hasn't been out a year yet so there's plenty of time. Incidentally I'm using the 100_400 mk1 at the moment so I'm listening to what peoples experience is with the 150_600 lenses.

Jeff great shots. Are you using the Siggy Sports hand-held, on a monopod or a tripod?

And do you find it possible to take it on a walk and use it hand-held?

cheers,
Nick

I find Jeff's captures and post processing just fine. It's sharp and clear and more neutral in colours. I find most photographers that's been around since the film days are more appreciate towards neutral natural tones, rather than eye popping over saturation and overly contrast and overly sharpened compositions. It's a matter of taste, some people prefer ear deafening loud modern music, and some people prefer easy listening symphony music. To my eyes and preferences, Jeff's pictures are SUPERB! Nuff said.

Im not too sure if I'm misunderstanding how you interpreted my message. My message was a compliment, not a negative. Maybe I was unclear that I especially appreciate his composition and cropping above and beyond the good work he does for the other aspects of a photo. Everything else is well done as well, I just wanted to highlight that I believe this is a strong point in his photography. Hopefully I've made this mroe clear.

Im not too sure if I'm misunderstanding how you interpreted my message. My message was a compliment, not a negative. Maybe I was unclear that I especially appreciate his composition and cropping above and beyond the good work he does for the other aspects of a photo. Everything else is well done as well, I just wanted to highlight that I believe this is a strong point in his photography. Hopefully I've made this mroe clear.
Your making me blush 8-P

Last edited:
Jeff great shots. Are you using the Siggy Sports hand-held, on a monopod or a tripod?

And do you find it possible to take it on a walk and use it hand-held?

cheers,
Nick
Nick I use it hand held about 75% of the time ,I find lumbering around with a tripod to constricting ,although I have just made a strap for my monopod ,taking shots hand held is no problem especially with the tuning via USB dock helping with that .actually carrying the lens is something I have adapted to easily it's cradeled in my arms like a baby ready for use in a few seconds .
My only critisism is the carry strap mounts make it hard to support the lens across the shoulder .hopefully the new ST-81 handle will make life easier when it arrives .to carry it around
Obviously I utilise supports while shooting ie hide shelfs,car door ,fence posts etc ,but only as and when needed .the really good O.S helps a lot with this lens .although it doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea

couple more shots from the weekend ,both with the 70d

Attachments

• sandy .jpg
    sandy .jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 70
  • looking for the next meal .jpg
    looking for the next meal .jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 73
Got a Sport arriving tomorrow morning after a rush of blood yesterday.

Someone I know turned up at a local reserve with one and I got to hold it. The weight had been a consideration before that, but having felt it, it doesn't seem bad at all, albeit a bit front-heavy. Quite manageable.

One thing though, the tripod mount seems a bit of a design error, it's so far behind the centre of balance of the lens.

Got a Sport arriving tomorrow morning after a rush of blood yesterday.

Someone I know turned up at a local reserve with one and I got to hold it. The weight had been a consideration before that, but having felt it, it doesn't seem bad at all, albeit a bit front-heavy. Quite manageable.

One thing though, the tripod mount seems a bit of a design error, it's so far behind the centre of balance of the lens.
Well done on taking the plunge ,you won't regret it ,if you need help with any lens settings let me know ,I hand hold mine most of the time you soon get used to it .
There is a new tripod mount being made the TS.81 available soon I hope ,the only thing I don't like is the strap attachment as it gets in your way

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back