• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

New Swarovski 7x Binocular (1 Viewer)

Alexis Powell

Natural history enthusiast
United States
I can't quite see the merits of this model yet; obviously Swarovski know their market. Drop the best selling, arguably giant-killing 8x32EL FP and introduce yet another pocket CL!?

RB
Well, it restores a true pocket bin to the line. The current 8x25 is huge compared to the old 8x20. This one is similar in size to the latter with the interesting merit of larger exit pupil than we've previously seen in a premium roof of this size. I am intrigued, but given that my Zeiss 8x25 Victory, with its superior optics, has replaced my Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL (An easy choice because the larger Zeiss in a soft case fits into the same space as the smaller Leica in its cute leather clamshell), I don't know that I will bite. I might even like the Leica 8x20 BL better than this new Swarovski for its very accessible focus knob. Hope the close focus is better than spec on the Swarovski. The Leica and Zeiss get down to 6 or 7 feet for most users, which is nice for butterflies.

--AP

tenex

reality-based
I can't quite see the merits of this model yet; obviously Swarovski know their market. Drop the best selling, arguably giant-killing 8x32EL FP and introduce yet another pocket CL!?
I really don't think that's knowing their market; rather, knowing what they want to do with (to?) it. I'm curious to see how dropping all these highly successful models works out for them.

It's interesting that this Curio looks more like the previous line of compacts than the current. Maybe there's just less room for styling at that size.

John A Roberts

Australia
Hi Gwen,

Not a precise answer, but for some idea see the images.
The first gives the best view that’s available. The next two make clear that the optical construction has a single eye lens.
And for comparison a CL Pocket 10x25 from an eBay listing from tinbobbin10.

John

Attachments

• Eye lenses.jpg
    Eye lenses.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Eye lenses and Diagram.jpg
    Eye lenses and Diagram.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Single Eye lens.jpg
    Single Eye lens.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 100
  • CL Pocket 10x25.jpg
    CL Pocket 10x25.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 100

mwhogue

Well Known Member
Supporter
I wonder how big the ocular lens are compared to the ….. x25 CL’s ?

I have the SW 8x20B and the original CL 8x25. The ocular lens on the 20 is @ 15 mm and @ 17 mm on the 25 according to my very rough measurements. Based on the pictures, the 7x looks almost identical to the 8x20 in terms of design shape and dimensions. It also looks like the ocular lens diameter of either could be increased slightly in the 7 and/or the latest version of the CL.

Mike

dalat

Despite all the boast about design, I think that the Leica Ultravid is still the most elegant and well designed compact, by far. However, 7x21 sounds like it could be a real improvement in useability compared to 8x20.

gcole

Thanks John for the Photo’s comparing the two and Mike for the rough ocular lens size differences. I would have thought Swarovski could have designed the lens size on this new pocket CL to be a tad larger, making them a little more easier for eye placement.

_Prism_

England
Despite all the boast about design, I think that the Leica Ultravid is still the most elegant and well designed compact, by far. However, 7x21 sounds like it could be a real improvement in useability compared to 8x20.

I agree with you regarding the aesthetics of the Leica UV 8x20. But as compact and elegant-looking as they are, I always found them difficult and fiddly to use (disclaimer: I'm 6 ft. 3 and have large hands). Ended up giving them to the Mrs. and bought the Victory Pocket 8x25 for myself (which are a dream to use, comparatively speaking).

While I don't necessarily expect the 7x21 to best the VP 8x25, I am still looking forward to trying them out. Their diminutive size and weight suggest they might be solid competition for the UV 8x20.

Last edited:

dipped

These seem perfect for well heeled parents with young children getting into birding. Low magnification and small form factor ideal for small hands.

Alexis Powell

Natural history enthusiast
United States
Yes, aesthetically elegant and also good design ergonomically, since it allows for easy access to the focus knob and a nice wrap-around grip. Scroll down on this post for pictures:

Still, the bigger exit pupil makes this new Swarovski intriguing, and it improves (in my opinion) on the Swarovski 8x20 design by moving the focus knob to the index finger.

--AP

Stevenkelby

Australia
Stolen from Merriam-Webster:

Definition of curio

: something (such as a decorative object) considered novel, rare, or bizarre : CURIOSITYalso : an unusual or bizarre person

Just to define our terms.
How about the definition from dictionary.com?

any unusual article, object of art, etc., valued as a curiosity.

Much less flattering, and perhaps more accurate?

CharleyBird

England
They are interesting to me, and seem a good idea because they are a carry everywhere binocular of swarovski quality, with a potential stable & bright 7x view (e.g. compared to the Leica 8x20).
How will the handling, exit pupil and field of view actually work...we'll see

mwhogue

Well Known Member
Supporter
They are interesting to me, and seem a good idea because they are a carry everywhere binocular of swarovski quality, with a potential stable & bright 7x view (e.g. compared to the Leica 8x20).
How will the handling, exit pupil and field of view actually work...we'll see

Spot on sir.

Assumptions, extrapolation and personal opinion follows.

No expert here just a happy owner and regular user of SW 8x20 and 8x25, UV 8x20 , and Zeiss VP 8x25. My favorite is the VP, but there are situations where even the VP is too large and the UV steps in adroitly. IMO it's reasonable to assume based on the pictures and dimensions provided by John A. Roberts, that the 7x21 SW is practically identical in size to both the SW and UV 8x20. The 7 has an even larger FOV than the VP, 405' vs @ 395' , not much, but still. Add that best FOV to the possibly more stable and "cleaner" image of the 7, greater DOF, together with the 3mm EP and this new SW could be competition for both 8x20 and 8x25 alpha models.

Mike

CharleyBird

England
Spot on sir.

Assumptions, extrapolation and personal opinion follows.

No expert here just a happy owner and regular user of SW 8x20 and 8x25, UV 8x20 , and Zeiss VP 8x25. My favorite is the VP, but there are situations where even the VP is too large and the UV steps in adroitly. IMO it's reasonable to assume based on the pictures and dimensions provided by John A. Roberts, that the 7x21 SW is practically identical in size to both the SW and UV 8x20. The 7 has an even larger FOV than the VP, 405' vs @ 395' , not much, but still. Add that best FOV to the possibly more stable and "cleaner" image of the 7, greater DOF, together with the 3mm EP and this new SW could be competition for both 8x20 and 8x25 alpha models.

Mike
Thanks, but don’t call me sir, I work for a living ;)
Having tried the Leica 8x20 a couple of times and wanting to like it, it was always obvious we weren’t going to work together. Exit pupil not comfortable for me.

And yet the Leica 10x32 is good. So I’m hopeful for this new offering, that with 3mm EP and different ocular & magnification it will work.

leonardo_simon

Interesting to me —- especially if the FOV is noticeably (i.e. in the field) better than the CL 8X25 which is a bit ‘tunnel like’

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread