• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski binoculars soon (1 Viewer)

The new model is not a great leap forward (inevitably) but it does make choosing the best top end bin just that bit trickier.
Sean

Thanks for that, Sean....you may have helped me save cash. Almost seduced by the teaser marketing, I have to pinch myself back to reality...I have EL 8x32 which I love, and if the new EL´s aren´t a great leap forward, I don´t fancy sacrificing FOV to get the 8.5x42. On the other hand...;)

A black and white test chart looked slightly brighter, more contrasty, and cleaner. Looking at birds against the sky, CA seemed to be quite well controlled /QUOTE]

Curiously, the ad copy on the Swarovski New EL page says, "contrast right up to the image periphery." I don't quite understand this, that is, the concept of contrast varying across the viewing axis, but perhaps the intended variable is sharpness, not contrast. ??

Norman P

reference: http://el.swarovskioptik.com/index.php?l=en

Not So Soon!

QUOTE=dogfish;1226079]There's a teasing Swarovski ad in the new Birdwatching magazine titled 'The New Dimension for Observation; New Binocular Expands the Horizon. From September 2008.'
Sean[/QUOTE]

According to Clifton Cameras of Durseley, these are delayed till January 2009.

[/QUOTE]
According to Clifton Cameras of Durseley, these are delayed till January 2009.[/QUOTE]

Darn. That means Santa won´t have any in his sack.

[/QUOTE]
Darn. That means Santa won´t have any in his sack.[/QUOTE]

Hello Sancho!

Try to bribe Santa. Maybe he will interrupt his skiing holidays in AUSTRIA to see you ;)

Tom

just sold my trinovid...

the big q' is should i wait t'ill April 09 (it was 01/09 a second ago???grrr....) or just get the usual EL or zeiss FL*.
damn....

If you have a decent back up bin to use until then I would just wait until April...or whenever they are releasing the new EL ED...you are always going to second guess yourself if you don't.

;)

just sold my trinovid...

the big q' is should i wait t'ill April 09 (it was 01/09 a second ago???grrr....) or just get the usual EL or zeiss FL*.
damn....

well having tried the 'old' el's and the new ones side by side , i would say wait it will be worth it :)

it will still dent the wallet somewhat though !

New grist for the rumor mill: Swarovski has deleted all links to the new EL on its website (though the homepage still has a photo of it ), and the old EL has returned to the Products page in its place. "See the unseen", indeed!

Yes, the press release is still there in all the languages (including United States-ese, otherwise known as anti-International English), but the publicity pages with their exploding view and technical specs are gone, and it's no longer offered in the products line where it had previously supplanted the old EL 42's. (The publicity pages are still lurking at http://el.swarovskioptik.com/index.php?l=de et al., but they've been unlinked.)

I doubt it has anything to do with the global financial crisis. If what I heard yesterday is correct, which at this time I'm not at liberty to share, then the binocular will likely undergo a slight redesign. Find someone who was at Photokina and they might be able to reveal the reason.

interesting stuff, I wonder what they are altering (any idea?)...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back