• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to Binoculars :) (1 Viewer)

Joe94

United Kingdom
Evening all,

So I’m totally new to semi pro/pro level bins, only ever using cheap generic ones before.

I’ve gained a passion for birds & bird photography so want a decent pair to assist, when either in the garden or out & about.

After doing some self research, with a budget of around £200-250, it seems Hawke, seems to be a good brand to be looking at & if I’m right a pair of x8-42 should be ideal? Iv read there better for birding & particularly shake...

I have also read it’s best to try them out before purchase, especially as a glasses wearer, but just thought I’d ask on here if I’m going down the right track as it were aha :)

Good morning Joe,
unfortunately, I can't help you in the price category. A few thoughts anyway. In this price category I would look at binoculars from local dealers, Vortex, Opticron, Hawke, Vixen, Nikon Monarch 5 ... None will be perfect.
Or save a little - and buy a pair of Kowa YFII 8x30 porro binoculars first. As light hiking binoculars, the purchase is not false. Your country of origin speaks for an 8x42. Great Britain is not supposed to be particularly bright and sunny ...
To get started, read this thread:
Kite Birdwatcher 8x42 (also porro bins, not cheap but inexpensive) has good reviews.
Jessie

Last edited:
Good morning Joe,
unfortunately, I can't help you in the price category. A few thoughts anyway. In this price category I would look at binoculars from local dealers, Vortex, Opticron, Hawke, Vixen, Nikon Monarch 5 ... None will be perfect.
Or save a little - and buy a pair of Kowa YFII 8x30 porro binoculars first. As light hiking binoculars, the purchase is not free. Your country of origin speaks for an 8x42. Great Britain is not supposed to be particularly bright and sunny ...
To get started, read this thread:
Kite Birdwatcher 8x42 (also porro bins, not cheap but inexpensive) has good reviews.
Jessie
Thank you very much for this, your advice is very much appreciated 🙂

Also thank you for sharing the link, I will definitely take a read of the thread.

Many thanks 😊

Because today I have time and desire to write: It's fun to choose, within the individually possible, financial framework, things that fulfill their usefulness and purpose - but also have something special, are not "mainstream": I like large, wide fields of view with high sharpness in the middle (at least 2/3 radius of FoV). Since my youth I have been spoiled by good wide-angle porros. However, old porros (used but good devices from ebay) are not suitable for eyeglass wearers; Porros are a bit clunky and heavier in relation to the roof edge prism bins. New porros, on the other hand, are useable for eyeglass wearers. If you are a younger and stronger person, you can also look at Nikon Action EX 7x35 and 8x40 - both within your budget. Here one has written nicely individual-impressive, I have supported him technically-dry argumentative:
I find the thread so consistent - same result with completely different approaches. ;-)

Contoured carrying straps relieve the neck, distribute the weight on the shoulders. Niggeloh produces good contoured inexpensive straps.

Last edited:
Because today I have time and desire to write: It's fun to choose, within the individually possible, financial framework, things that fulfill their usefulness and purpose - but also have something special, are not "mainstream": I like large, wide fields of view with high sharpness in the middle (at least 2/3 radius of FoV). Since my youth I have been spoiled by good wide-angle porros. However, old porros (used but good devices from ebay) are not suitable for eyeglass wearers; Porros are a bit clunky and heavier in relation to the roof edge prism bins. New porros, on the other hand, are useable for eyeglass wearers. If you are a younger and stronger person, you can also look at Nikon Action EX 7x35 and 8x40 - both within your budget. Here one has written nicely individual-impressive, I have supported him technically-dry argumentative:
I find the thread so consistent - same result with completely different approaches. ;-)

Contoured carrying straps relieve the neck, distribute the weight on the shoulders. Niggeloh produces good contoured inexpensive straps.
Jessie, thank you again for this brilliant piece.

Your advice & experience is very much appreciated & your are soo right that choosing should be fun, exciting but also individual. However your tips are very helpful indeed 🙂

Also thanks for the second link, I will give that one a read too, although as you say it should be an individual choice, I certainly find others experiences & tips very helpful indeed.

Thanks again, very much appreciated 🙂

Morning Joe

I have Hawke's 10x42 Frontier ED X binos and I have been very pleased with them. They are out of your price range at around £400, however, for the price, the optics are unbeatable.

In your price range you could look at Hawke's Frontier HD X 8x32 if you are not so bothered about loss of brightness as the light fails compared to the 8x42s. I don't know what the image difference is between the HD and ED models, but have heard the ED is brighter.

The Endurance models are a step below the Frontier's as they use optics of a lesser quality but still heard the image is great for the price.

Best thing to do is try them out, preferably at an optics shop adjacent to a reserve or similar area of green space.

Also have a look at bestbinocularreviews.com - the reviews and advice provided is very good and non-technical. I think he has reviewed many of Hawke's binocular range.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back