• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New York, Long Island in June (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

I'm coming to New York the first weekend in June for the Belmont Stakes.

I've added an extra day to my trip to do some bird watching.

Can someone please advise me of some good bird watching spots on Long Island.

I'm staying in Jamaica which isn't too far from Belmont Park. I'd like to find a place that is convenient to both my hotel and the race track.

Thanks.

I'm sure Jamaica Bay will be suggested as a pretty major place to go, I visited it just this April . . . ;) The reserve is on the island off crossway blvd, SW of JFK airport.

If you are reliant on public transport, the buses go right by. (21 and 53). Depending on exactly where you are, you'd have to make connections to get onto one of those. pdf Queens map at http://www.mta.info/mta/maps.htm

Good luck.

OK change of hotels. I'll be staying in Hicksville instead.

I'm thinking of Connetquot River State Park, Bayard Cutting Arboretum, Heckscher State Park and Jones Beach State Park. I got these places from a field guide of New York birds.

From all my research it looks like I can get most of the same birds at Jones Beach that I can get at Jamaica Bay. Jones Beach would be less of a drive.

I was going to try and hit Fire Island but I think it will be more time consuming then it's worth.

What do you guys think??

I'm sure Jamaica Bay will be suggested as a pretty major place to go, I visited it just this April . . . ;) The reserve is on the island off crossway blvd, SW of JFK airport.

Good luck.

Dear Dan,

That is Cross Bay Blvd. and it certainly is "a major place to go."

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back