• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss binos 8x40 SFL and 10x40 SFL (2 Viewers)

and please Zeiss don’t go cheap on the eyecups.
This, I’m frankly fed up with the eyecups on my copy of the SF’s. They’re nicely finished but the click stops for the positions just aren’t positive or robust enough to stay put. I have one of those weird face shapes that requires I have the eyecups up one notch position when wearing glasses and they’ve never stayed in place. I’ve missed a fair few id’s because I’ve had to stop to readjust them. These are the new ones from Zeiss as well.
I really like the SF’s for the spectacular view, eyecups not so much.

I’m frankly fed up with the eyecups on my copy of the SF’s. They’re nicely finished but the click stops for the positions just aren’t positive or robust enough to stay put. I have one of those weird face shapes that requires I have the eyecups up one notch position when wearing glasses and they’ve never stayed in place.
Install a few rubber o-rings.

Cheers and thanks!
While it's great to now have info for ways around the problem on a do-it-yourself basis, I nevertheless think it is a blatant evidence of incapacity for a company that prides itself to be one of the foremost leaders in the field.

I wish Zeiss would take up the problem for providing a good solution for the new SFL line that could well become a new leading model in the "sub-alpha" league. With a corresponding potential for high numbers of SFLs to be sold. Maybe, more than one type of eyecup could be included in the basic package?

Last edited:
Metal eyecups, such as those of the EDGs and ELs/NLs, look robust but are heavy, so I am not really surprised that Zeiss made them from plastic to save some weight. Personally I have never had any problem with the eyecups of my FL and SF binos. In fact the FLs eyecups are the only eyecups I am aware of that stay in place even between the click stops, which helps a lot with eye placement. I know that some people are unhappy with the fact that Zeiss eyecups are made of plastic but imo they do the job and if they get damaged after intensive use Zeiss will send you a replacement pair free of charge.

This, I’m frankly fed up with the eyecups on my copy of the SF’s. They’re nicely finished but the click stops for the positions just aren’t positive or robust enough to stay put. I have one of those weird face shapes that requires I have the eyecups up one notch position when wearing glasses and they’ve never stayed in place. I’ve missed a fair few id’s because I’ve had to stop to readjust them. These are the new ones from Zeiss as well.
I really like the SF’s for the spectacular view, eyecups not so much.
Amen.... good word, robust. i might've bought the SF until I compared the NL eyecups. night and day

Apologies for the slight highjack to the thread.
Plastic eyecups are fine in my books as long as they're well engineered. I've had polycarbonate DSLR's that survived some shocking abuse and came out unscathed so plastic can be an appropriate solution.

We're on day 7 of Cornell's 20 day bird count and this morning I missed no less than three separate id's that I'm confident I would've nailed but for a sudden unscheduled eyecup position change.

Here's hoping the SFL's eyecups aren't the delicate affairs I find with my SF's.

Eyecups, eyecups, eyecups.

Unfortunate that some folks seem to find eyecups to be so difficult for them.

Eight years of using two pairs of Conquest HD (8x32 and 10x42) and around a year of also using three pair of SF and three pair of Ultravid HD+ and I haven't a spec of complaint about ANY of the eyecups. They feel fine, work fine, all stay where I put them, and adjust (not often needed) as necessary. Adjustment may not be quite as "smooth" as some others, but that has no effect on my use of them.

So... different people certainly do have different experiences.

Eyecups, eyecups, eyecups.
Unfortunate that some folks seem to find eyecups to be so difficult for them.

Careful, your phrasing suggests its the idiot behind the bins that’s the problem and I know thats not what you meant.
This is what I think you meant “Unfortunate that some folks have encountered eyecups that are causing difficulty for them”

In my experience I’ve never had eyecup issues with any of the bins I’ve used over the years.
I really am glad to hear you’ve had zero problems, up until I acquired my copy of the SF’s 3 years ago I could say the same.

So... different people certainly do have different experiences.

As evidenced here.

There is much more to the difference between NLs and SFs than the eyecups, which is why some people prefer the NLs and others prefer the SF's!

This.

Things did not work out for me with my Leica 7x42 sample, which I had funded by selling literally every other 7/8x binocular I had.
I was refunded by the shop and had my mind set on the Zeiss SF 8x32 in he shop which would supposedly be "best in class" but not my first choice due to the length/size of the bino. I did however try the Pure NL 8x32 despite finding the design "unappealing", the Orange color "not to my liking" and the size "unwieldy" for a 8x32 bino. My eyes told a different story and that's the bino I went home with.

I am still amazed at how well they couple with my eyes every time I use them. I have since seen through Zeiss SF binos in the field and although very good I would not trade the NL for an SF. Despite that I am interested in seeing through the SFL 8x40.

Also the two persons that had the SF binos (one 10x42 and one 8x42) did like the Pure NL but none preferred the NL. The lady with the 8x42 SF commented that my Pure NL was a bit on the "heavy side"...

This.

Things did not work out for me with my Leica 7x42 sample, which I had funded by selling literally every other 7/8x binocular I had.
I was refunded by the shop and had my mind set on the Zeiss SF 8x32 in he shop which would supposedly be "best in class" but not my first choice due to the length/size of the bino. I did however try the Pure NL 8x32 despite finding the design "unappealing", the Orange color "not to my liking" and the size "unwieldy" for a 8x32 bino. My eyes told a different story and that's the bino I went home with.

I am still amazed at how well they couple with my eyes every time I use them. I have since seen through Zeiss SF binos in the field and although very good I would not trade the NL for an SF. Despite that I am interested in seeing through the SFL 8x40.

Also the two persons that had the SF binos (one 10x42 and one 8x42) did like the Pure NL but none preferred the NL. The lady with the 8x42 SF commented that my Pure NL was a bit on the "heavy side"...
Interesting that the lady with the 842SF (heavier than NL32) thought the NL32 felt a bit heavy. It’s hard to fault an NL Pure 8x32 ( I know Dennis found something objectionable after deeming it the best) the best 32 on the planet imho. Everything about the image is amazing, which you already know.

Id like to hear what the issues were with the 742 Ultravids. I love them as well as my NL’s. Please feel free to elaborate.

Thank you
Happy Easter

Paultricounty: the Ultravid 7x42 had focusing issues, the focuser seized up a bit near the far end which was annoying. The dealership sent it to Leica for servicing and it came back a few weeks later with a sticker that said "it has been serviced by ______" and a note. Nice, but the problem was still there. The dealer agreed and said there was no point in sending it back again and since Leica was in the midst of rearranging their sales organisation (his words) he could not say when he was able to get a new pair in. It is a pity, I loved the optics and the overall handling. I found the NL easier to snap into focus than the Ultravid 7x42 but I certainly had zero complaints as to the optical properties of the Leica. The focuser on my sample was definitely subpar for the class though.

I honestly feel that the person servicing the optics sat by a desk and just turned the focuser a few times after lubricating and thought "well, this is within specs for sure" but if the person had actually peered through the binos and focused at something outside the window about fifty meters away there is no way they would not have noticed the focuser binding, going from smooth to coarse and then smooth again.

The FL eye cups were made to a high standard, much better than the SF IMO.
I have been very happy with my three x42 FLs but some were exchanged by Zeiss in the process. Must say that because I wear glasses all the time, I'm not representative when it comes to eyecup problems. They tend to slip on the glass and thus can't be placed as predictably as without that glass.

The FL eye cups were made to a high standard, much better than the SF IMO.
I had zero issues with the three pairs of FL's I had over the years. However one person I know with a pair of 10x32 FL's has a stuck eye cup. That can happen to any bino. As for the material itself there was little to no wear over the years despite wearing glasses.

Paultricounty: the Ultravid 7x42 had focusing issues, the focuser seized up a bit near the far end which was annoying. The dealership sent it to Leica for servicing and it came back a few weeks later with a sticker that said "it has been serviced by ______" and a note. Nice, but the problem was still there. The dealer agreed and said there was no point in sending it back again and since Leica was in the midst of rearranging their sales organisation (his words) he could not say when he was able to get a new pair in. It is a pity, I loved the optics and the overall handling. I found the NL easier to snap into focus than the Ultravid 7x42 but I certainly had zero complaints as to the optical properties of the Leica. The focuser on my sample was definitely subpar for the class though.

I honestly feel that the person servicing the optics sat by a desk and just turned the focuser a few times after lubricating and thought "well, this is within specs for sure" but if the person had actually peered through the binos and focused at something outside the window about fifty meters away there is no way they would not have noticed the focuser binding, going from smooth to coarse and then smooth again.
That’s a shame because the 742 UVHD’s are such an optically beautiful and unique binocular. On par with NL just in a different way. They are both imo gorgeous binoculars. I had to send in my 742 right after I received it (not focuser related) and I made sure with a lengthy note in and outside of the box for what I wanted to be corrected or I’d want it replaced. It could’ve been the note or I just got lucky. Complete turnaround door to door under three weeks. I have four UVHDs , (only one NL) and I love them all. All the Leica focusers are good. Not like the NL, or Noctivids but still very nice and enjoyable.

Don’t give up on the Ultravids, especially that 742 now that you have the NL42. It fills a nice niche and has a different mood as you well know. Not to take anything away from the the king of 32 binoculars in the NL but It’s warmer and deeper FOV than the NLs.

Good luck and enjoy the Swaros 🙏🏼

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back