• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

New Zeiss binos 8x40 SFL and 10x40 SFL (2 Viewers)

GoldenBear

Pretty sure it was $1,599 pre-order, $1,699 regular price. I glanced at the flyer on the Zeiss case, but I got to talking with them for quite awhile and forgot to look again. Had a NIB old stock Nikon EDG 8x42 for $1,399 that sidetracked me too. 10% off the EDG, but I resisted - want to see the SFL in person before splurging on anything.

AlphaFan

United States
Would really love to direct-compare the new SFL to the 42mm MHG. High performing optics in a relatively compact, easy-handling form is a winning combination - been enjoying the Maven B6 and still marvel that it is a 50mm, and the MHG handles more like a 32mm than a 42mm. If the SFL has better optics and at least equal handling compared to the MHG, resistance may be futile. Will definitely sample and compare prior to buying.

GoldenBear

Just called Time & Optics to double- check my SFL info. Pre-order price is in fact $1,599 for both 8x and 10x, and $1,799 after that.

Not certain how long the special lasts - the owner was not in and the person I spoke with was unsure.

I am not affiliated with T&O in any way - just a customer of the store and thought it was info worth passing along.

Brummie

Just called Time & Optics to double- check my SFL info. Pre-order price is in fact $1,599 for both 8x and 10x, and $1,799 after that.
I also checked in with Sportoptics. They told me they now pay sales tax on Zeiss, so they'll cover sales tax and take off maybe another 5-7%, when they get them in. Just passing on what I heard, not making any promises.

chill6x6

They were $1550 at Land, Sea, and Sky at Magee Marsh, preorder.
I looked at and thru them a bit. I like them. Feel really good in the hand. I probably would have bought them at that price if they were in stock and I could have used them over my time there.

DrewskiMT

Observer
I'm a leica fanboy but i gotta say - if there are no hidden issues, Zeiss hit the ball outta-the-park with the SFL's.
I agree. They look fantastic. The specs are splendid, and the placement of that focuser looks excellent! Bravo Zeiss! They have finally made a bino that I want to purchase in addition to my 8x32 Conquest.

pm42

I recently bought a digiscoping kit and used it to compare the 8x40 SFL and the NL Pure 8x32 again.
I was aiming for a crow against a white sky but they do not stay put long enough for me and the weather is too nice :cool:

But I was able to shoot a dove in front of a cloud.
Distance is 60m.

iPhone 12 pro using the long lens, Swaro on the left, Zeiss on the right, 100% crop of the raw file.

As you can see, both binoculars capture a lot of details, the Swaro is AC free, as would probably the SF be and the SFL is still very good but as a little bit of AC. This was just to confirm my initial findings.

Attachments

• dove.jpg
    dove.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 153

Ratal

That CA... That is shockingly poor control. Goodness me. I understand full well that there are dozens of variables that could effect the image, but never the less, at 1600 quid I would have expected far, far better.

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
I recently bought a digiscoping kit and used it to compare the 8x40 SFL and the NL Pure 8x32 again.
I was aiming for a crow against a white sky but they do not stay put long enough for me and the weather is too nice :cool:

But I was able to shoot a dove in front of a cloud.
Distance is 60m.

iPhone 12 pro using the long lens, Swaro on the left, Zeiss on the right, 100% crop of the raw file.

As you can see, both binoculars capture a lot of details, the Swaro is AC free, as would probably the SF be and the SFL is still very good but as a little bit of AC. This was just to confirm my initial findings.
PM are you sure the Swaro is on the left? I can see some CA in both images but the one on the right has significantly less. But in any case we do not know how much of the CA is due to your phone camera.

Lee

pm42

PM are you sure the Swaro is on the left?

Yes

I can see some CA in both images but the one on the right has significantly less.

Are you sure? If you look at the tail or the paws of the bird, you'll see the purple CA. Same on the left part of the antenna: some purple CA below the antenna, yellow above on the right image, none on the left.
Also, the wall at the bottom has yellow CA in one case, not the other.

But in any case we do not know how much of the CA is due to your phone camera.
As far as I know, none is this case because this is also what I see through the binoculars

pm42

That CA... That is shockingly poor control. Goodness me. I understand full well that there are dozens of variables that could effect the image, but never the less, at 1600 quid I would have expected far, far better.
No, it is not because this a 100% crop of a magnification of the center of the image. The CA is very low. Recent and even more expensive alphas such as the SF and NL Pure are better but the SFL is still excellent.

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Yes

Are you sure? If you look at the tail or the paws of the bird, you'll see the purple CA. Same on the left part of the antenna: some purple CA below the antenna, yellow above on the right image, none on the left.
Also, the wall at the bottom has yellow CA in one case, not the other.

As far as I know, none is this case because this is also what I see through the binoculars
Checking the images again, the bird on the left, to my eyes, has a small amount of green at the edge of its back and left edge of the tail while its breast has a little violet/purple edge. This is a very small amount but I can just see it. The bird on the right has even less to my eyes.

Lee

pm42

Checking the images again, the bird on the left, to my eyes, has a small amount of green at the edge of its back and left edge of the tail while its breast has a little violet/purple edge. This is a very small amount but I can just see it. The bird on the right has even less to my eyes.
This is interesting because we clearly do not see the same thing even on a picture. And something that I find obvious is hardly visible to you.
I find this challenging in a good way.

Here is a 500% crop of the same pictures in the same order. Do you see the more yellow and purple CA on the right there?

Attachments

• dove 500%.jpg
    dove 500%.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread