• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss binos 8x40 SFL and 10x40 SFL (3 Viewers)

A clarifier - I do NOT own the SFL, but I did have the good fortune to meet a Zeiss birder (whom was up in the Highlands looking for the short toed eagle) who was gracious enough to let me have a look. The focuser is just sublime. Utterly sublime - Cannot explain it any better than 'hits the mark every single time' no matter near or far - the bino SNAPS into focus.
I was sitting out on my deck in the mid day sun today, glare from the deck and sun right in the face meant it was very strainful for the eyes just sitting there, facing that direction without shielding the eyes.

The SFL proved to be completely immune to glare and performed remarkably well in pretty nasty light, no loss of contrast due to veiling glare. This is one advantage over the Pure NL which fares a little worse in these conditions. Factoring in that I wear glasses I found this to be on par - or even better than - my previous bench mark for glare resistance: Meopta HD 10x42. I have yet to see better glare resistance than the SFL offers.

I could literally shield my face and eyes with the bino instead of a cap.i only tried the SFL for an hour, but that is exactly what I found in the evening. My Opticron Aurora are amazing in vicious glare, but the SFL has them beat hands down. Was frankly mind boggling at how this has been achieved and that was a setting sun over the Loch which was blinding.

OpticsPlanted has the 10x40s listed for $1799.99 with 10% off
if you sign up for their emails as a first time customer
free delivery with shipping 10-19 days.

edj

If my questions have already been asked/answered I am sorry because I must have missed them, but where are these manufactured and do they have a locking diopter?

Are either of these of true importance to me? No, but I am curious nonetheless. Thanks in advance.

Diopter is not easy to move accidentally. It is not easy to set either, or a bit fiddly. My adjustment ring is very stiff and looking through the bino and turning at the same time was a chore. Ended up at 0 adjustment and will leave it at that.

Diopter side ocular is sometimes harder to pull up all the way and starts to unscrew in the process. Not a problem for me as they stay down for me but it is not the best in class for ease of use. For someone pulling them out before use and storing them back in the down position it could be frustrating.

Other than that build quality is very good.

The focuser is just about perfect after the initial slight stiffness during the first two days of use.

I'm guessing the diopter will get better.

My all time favorite diopter is the one on the Conquest HD (at least in full size - actually best is on the curio). No detents so infinitely adjustable, and one can focus and adjust diopter at same time - totally ideal in my book. The less fussy the better. I personally need to adjust the diopter a lot depending on level of eye tiredness - one eye is better than the other.

Sometimes OP will initially take the code and then send you an email saying, sorry the manufacturer doesn’t allow this. Ordered a pair with the 15% off code last week and that’s what happened to me. Or maybe it will slip through the cracks. You never know with OP!

For those who have tried the 10x40 SFL,
with >mag and < weight
is it harder to hold steady then the standard 10x42s?

thanks
edj

You can always duck-tape some extra weight to them if it turns out to be a problem...;)

Personally I think, ergonomic is more important, than a few grams here and there.

But at the end of the [birding] day, the weight will have an impact.

Canip,

I read your post #727 now (have been on a vacation), and would like to basically second what you said. I had the SFL's on trial for a few days in May, and liked them a lot. Like you, I found no essential weaknesses (well, I personally prefer slower focussing, but that is personal,), and really in all relevant respects the binocular performed as well as any or close enough to as well as any.

I could easily see these becoming favourites among birders who spend a lot of time in the field, a little like the Leica 8x32 was in the 1990s.

- Kimmo

BTW, a note about Optics Planet - I just received a horrible packed scope from them. The indifference is maddening. Scope and eyepiece rattling around with a piece of bubblewrap thrown in, but plenty of room for them to move. I will not buy from them again, discount or not - not worth the worry that the optics were impacted by the trip.

Could it have something to do with all the issues with the rollout of the grey SF’s in 2016, or all the issues with the newer current SF32’s that multiple people had issues with eyecups, separating rubber and uneven rough focus mechanisms. And let us not leave out the wonderful blue ring. 😉
What's the blue ring ?

What's the blue ring ?
Noted here by many users of the SF. A blue ring or blue haze at the very outer edges under multiple lighting conditions. I notice the closer you can get the eyepieces into your eye sockets the more it alleviates the condition. In some lighting condition getting close can completely do away with it, but that’s only 50% of the time, give or take. Not a deal killer for me.

Paul

Noted here by many users of the SF. A blue ring or blue haze at the very outer edges under multiple lighting conditions. I notice the closer you can get the eyepieces into your eye sockets the more it alleviates the condition. In some lighting condition getting close can completely do away with it, but that’s only 50% of the time, give or take. Not a deal killer for me.

Paul
I noticed this ring when looking through SF 8x42 for the first time but when I set the eyecups to the lowest position (because I wear spectacles) I never saw it again and I have never seen this in SF 8x32 or 10x32.

Lee

Canip,

I read your post #727 now (have been on a vacation), and would like to basically second what you said. I had the SFL's on trial for a few days in May, and liked them a lot. Like you, I found no essential weaknesses

I could easily see these becoming favourites among birders who spend a lot of time in the field, a little like the Leica 8x32 was in the 1990s.

- Kimmo
Agree. I have nearly finished writing my review and should be able to post it next week when we have travelled the 650 miles south back to our home. It depends on what tasks await back home as I only have a couple of days before departing to visit Bird Fair.

Lee

I noticed this ring when looking through SF 8x42 for the first time but when I set the eyecups to the lowest position (because I wear spectacles) I never saw it again and I have never seen this in SF 8x32 or 10x32.

Lee
Hi Lee,

I see it in my 8x32 and seen it in the 8x42, not in the 10x42. I think (you know more than me here) could it be with eyecups all the way down and a distance from from the oculars your not taking in the full FOV? The blue ring is really all the way on the far edges. Now that I’m writing this and thinking more about it, this maybe more of a glare phenomena than an optical design issue. Maybe more to do with a combination of lighting, baffling ( but that’s good on SF) coatings and eye placement.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back