• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (2 Viewers)

Jan, Jan, Jan (now greetings are being repeated, not just signatures)...

As my mama used to say, if sense was really that common, more people would have it. ;)

She also used to say: Life is like a box of chocolates, so watch out for the nuts! :eek!:

The debate was about whether or not Zeiss really said they were limiting production, or whether we were to believe something written on the Internet, which is what you posted. You seemed to doubt Zeiss was limiting production, but now you're changing your tune (a much needed musical band smilie goes here).

The debate wasn't about WHY Zeiss was limiting production, that's what I asked in my most recent post after we received confirmation that they did, indeed, say it.

Your answer to that question seems reasonable even though it is conjecture since you have not talked to Zeiss, and we can't contact Mike since he is no longer here and Gary hasn't posted in quite a while, and I think he's staying away on purpose, as he indicated in his last post.

It should be SOP for any new bin to start with limited production to work the bugs out. I'm not sure, however, if this is SOP for Zeiss, because it if were, we shouldn't have seen the problems we did with the 54 HTs.

Perhaps Zeiss is doing this with the SF because it is a new design. That would make sense, common or otherwise. If it the SF was meant to compete with the SV EL, they will need to eventually gear up production to match, although as I mentioned early on, Zeiss is a latecomer to this niche, with the EDG and SV EL preceding it, which makes me wonder how many they will sell besides to Singapore Joe.

Anyway, can't wait for the Zeiss SF giveaway contest. :smoke:

Brock

Brock,

We seem to experience two different realities in the same world.

Jan

Brock,

Jan

"Jan, Jan, Jan." Just let it go.

There's the real world, and then there's "Brockworld."

I don't get it either.

Mark

PS: That should read: "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" for North American folks of a certain age. ;) You can google it. Variant spellings include: Marsha.

Last edited:
Brock,

Jan

Hoi,

More like two different languages. I was actually agreeing with you, but apparently that has been totally lost in the translation because what you are reading is:

Mary had a little lamb,
beetje lam, beetje lam,
Mary had a little lamb,
haar vacht was wit als sneeuw

en overal dat Mary ging,
Mary ging, Mary ging overal waar
Mary ging
het lam was zeker te gaan

volgde haar naar school één dag
School één dag, school één dag
volgde haar naar school één dag en dat was
tegen de regels.

And now others are picking up on your mistranslations. Ugh. Please use a better translation program or I will have to ignore your posts. Thank you.

Brock

Last edited:
Hoi,

More like two different languages. I was actually agreeing with you, but apparently that has been totally lost in the translation because what you are reading is:

Mary had a little lamb,
beetje lam, beetje lam,
Mary had a little lamb,
haar vacht was wit als sneeuw

en overal dat Mary ging,
Mary ging, Mary ging overal waar
Mary ging
het lam was zeker te gaan

volgde haar naar school één dag
School één dag, school één dag
volgde haar naar school één dag en dat was
tegen de regels.

And now others are picking up on your mistranslations. Ugh. Please use a better translation program or I will have to ignore your posts. Thank you.

Brock

Yuh, what??

Anything to save face I guess.

Over and out,
Mark

Jan, Jan, Jan (now greetings are being repeated, not just signatures)...

As my mama used to say, if sense was really that common, more people would have it. ;)

She also used to say: Life is like a box of chocolates, so watch out for the nuts! :eek!:

The debate was about whether or not Zeiss really said they were limiting production, or whether we were to believe something written on the Internet, which is what you posted. You seemed to doubt Zeiss was limiting production, but now you're changing your tune (a much needed musical band smilie goes here).

The debate wasn't about WHY Zeiss was limiting production, that's what I asked in my most recent post after we received confirmation that they did, indeed, say it.

Your answer to that question seems reasonable even though it is conjecture since you have not talked to Zeiss, and we can't contact Mike since he is no longer here and Gary hasn't posted in quite a while, and I think he's staying away on purpose, as he indicated in his last post.

It should be SOP for any new bin to start with limited production to work the bugs out. I'm not sure, however, if this is SOP for Zeiss, because it if were, we shouldn't have seen the problems we did with the 54 HTs.

Perhaps Zeiss is doing this with the SF because it is a new design. That would make sense, common or otherwise. If it the SF was meant to compete with the SV EL, they will need to eventually gear up production to match, although as I mentioned early on, Zeiss is a latecomer to this niche, with the EDG and SV EL preceding it, which makes me wonder how many they will sell besides to Singapore Joe.

Anyway, can't wait for the Zeiss SF giveaway contest. :smoke:

Brock

Brock, I may not even get it if their focuser has the same mechanism as the HT as that design is giving me issues and i just might get the Nikon EDGs instead.
And whether they will sell much in SG, my guess would be a very small number as Swaro dominates the birding market here and to a lesser extend Leica.

Come on Jan, SF is a limited edition bin, just as Swaro has patented the double bridge. Brock has repeated this now really often enough for himself and all of us to be assured it is confirmed facts.

Just wait till he claims the world is flat.

Hermann

Those 10 a day is pre-production phase and are meanth for fairs, sales samples for the bigger dealers to tease the buyer already etc.

The same figure (10 a day) was quoted for the pre-production phase of the 8x42/10x42 HT as well. Must be buried somewhere in that ludicrously long thread.

Hermann

Just booked my B and B for Birdfair.

As soon as the gates open, I'll give the SF a damn good test and post a review.
If there better than my SV's I'll be getting a pair of 10x on the day.

Any one else going. I'll be there on the Friday??

Cheers Tim

Probably on the Friday as well. The Zeiss stand looks set to be busy but there a few other items on my agenda.

David

Cheers David

I'll have a pair of SV's and HT's round my neck. Goin get there as soon as it opens and grab a pair of SF's

Tim

I´m there for whole three days and will spend some time with these.Not sure if a tripple bridge will suit my large hands though.Also want to look at Conquest HD 15x56 for sea watching.I will have a blue square stuck to my hat and would like to meet up with any BF users....Eddy

Cheers David

I'll have a pair of SV's and HT's round my neck. Goin get there as soon as it opens and grab a pair of SF's

Tim

You'd better run! I'm not in the market myself but I think there are a few from here that might be in that race... if they are market ready. I think the samples seen so far have had prototype eye cups. I just hope to get a peek before they all disappear.

David

I'll be there all day Friday from 9 am.
I'm trying to reserve a pair of 10x with Viking at the moment.
Yes, I heard the same. I think the eyecups are goin be a bit premature.

Be nice to meet up with you all. Ie, Eddy, Lee and David.

Birdforum comes to Birdfair......

Cheers Tim

Actually he's back (see the Alpha Companies thread) but you seem to be too busy contructing your own version of reality to notice.

Lee

No need to, you and your twin Jan both do a fine job of reconstructing my posts to your alternative reality. I took him off my Ignore List at your request, big mistake, back you go, too.

<B>

Last edited:
Brock, I may not even get it if their focuser has the same mechanism as the HT as that design is giving me issues and i just might get the Nikon EDGs instead.
And whether they will sell much in SG, my guess would be a very small number as Swaro dominates the birding market here and to a lesser extend Leica.

Joe,

What issues are you having with the HT's focuser?

The SF focuser looks identical, as if they took it off the HT and fit it to the SF, two bridges and all. But whether the mechanicals are the same remains to be seen.

I think you would like the EDG, it represents Nikon's best effort to date, and has a smoother focuser than Swaros in general, and the optics have more pincushion than the SV EL in case buyers are bothered by rolling ball. The SF supposedly shares that characteristic with the EDG.

The EDG is underrated, in part due to the flubbed launch of the EDG I, and partly due to lackluster marketing on Nikon's part. Don't remember a trip to Exremadura upon the launch of the EDG II or even to Cape May, NJ! Pete Dunne did get a sample of the EDG I, and it survived his javelin toss, but the focuser was loose, which continued to be a problem for the first iteration until they had to pull it due to the threat of litigation from Swaroski. They needed Dr Dobler to tweak it enough to avoid patent infringement. :smoke:

I compared the EDG with the LX, and found it to be a few steps up - noticeably better CA control, even better contrast thanks to the ED glass, and I could see the flatter light spectrum manifest in comparing blues, which were deeper in the EDG.

Unfortunately (for me), the EDG is several giant steps up in price, but still $400 less than the SF, at least in the U.S.

Also, you can buy an EDG now, at 10 a day, it will probably be sometime before you buy an SF. Maybe that's why the SF trip to Honduras is limited to 10 people. That's all the samples they have! :eat:

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back