• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie birdwatcher (1 Viewer)

Hi Betty and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Ok here’s my first question. How do I start? I went to the beach and spotted some shorebirds...do I record them somewhere?
Where to start indeed? You sure picked one of the hardest groups to start with - peeps and other shorebirds (including immature gulls and terns) can be very difficult to identify - especially in Winter!
I am guessing you have a pair of binoculars. I would also suggest getting a field guide book. When I started birding I got into the habit of taking a notebook with me and writing down as much detail as I could see on a bird - it is very easy to forget things or find there are 10 species of birds all looking the same when you get home and look up your sightings! If you have a camera with a reasonably good lens, taking photos and uploading them to the Q&A Identification forum, you will find plenty of members more than happy to help you out with IDs.

There is plenty of advice/tips on this forum too

Once you have identified your birds, you can keep your own lists and also log your sightings on ebird which helps others know what’s in your area.

Also check out the local forum for your State - https://www.birdforum.net/forums/florida.407/
there’s several members from Florida who can advise you on what to expect and also some good spots. I had relatives in Florida many years ago so know the State a little but touching base with some more experienced birding Floridians would be an invaluable learning curve!

Happy birding!🙂

Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Where to start indeed? You sure picked one of the hardest groups to start with - peeps and other shorebirds (including immature gulls and terns) can be very difficult to identify - especially in Winter!
I am guessing you have a pair of binoculars. I would also suggest getting a field guide book. When I started birding I got into the habit of taking a notebook with me and writing down as much detail as I could see on a bird - it is very easy to forget things or find there are 10 species of birds all looking the same when you get home and look up your sightings! If you have a camera with a reasonably good lens, taking photos and uploading them to the Q&A Identification forum, you will find plenty of members more than happy to help you out with IDs.

There is plenty of advice/tips on this forum too

Once you have identified your birds, you can keep your own lists and also log your sightings on ebird which helps others know what’s in your area.

Also check out the local forum for your State - https://www.birdforum.net/forums/florida.407/
there’s several members from Florida who can advise you on what to expect and also some good spots. I had relatives in Florida many years ago so know the State a little but touching base with some more experienced birding Floridians would be an invaluable learning curve!

Happy birding!🙂
Oh thank you!!! This is so helpful!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back