• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

newbie question regarding peanut feeder (1 Viewer)

HI I am new to putting up bird feeders and have one feeder up so far with black oil sunflower seeds. I was getting quite a few American goldfinches and a few other assorted birds. A few days ago I put up one of those wreath style peanut feeders. There are lots of blue jays here and once they found it they emptied the feeder in less than 2 hours. I am wondering how often i should fill the peanut feeder (at the rate the birds are eating i would need to fill it about 3 times a day to keep peanuts in it). It would cost a fortune to keep it filled . I also noticed since the blue jays have arrived I am not getting any little birds at the other feeder. Will the blue jays slow down on their feeding? Will the little birds come back? I am hoping to put up a few more feeders as the weather gets colder with different types of food. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back