• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Newbie Questions (1 Viewer)

Hi I am new here so i am not sure if i am even in the correct forum but i would very much like some help in attracting birds to my back yard. I live in the country on 10 acres (mostly wooded with a small horse paddock and large lawn/backyard). Its quiet here and there are often deer or grouse wandering around the edge of the woods. I have a resident pair of ravens who seem to live here and many blue and Canada jays. I put out large platters of food every couple of days in the winter and it is consumed within a day or two by these birds. These birds dont come by as often in the summer. However I don't seem to be able to attract any smaller birds. The bird feeders go untouched unless a squirrel or deer happens to spot them and then they are emptied all at once. I would very much like to have some of the smaller birds at my feeders year round. So i am looking for tips or advice on how to attract them. Are the bigger birds keeping all the smaller ones away? I am sure i am doing something wrong but am not sure what. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi again Artemisblossom!

As the warmer weather is here there is more natural food available to the birds so that may be one reason.

Yes some songbirds are scared off by the larger birds and Jays can be a bit of a bully when it comes to feeder seed.

Lastly, are the feeders under trees as opposed to being out in the open? The birds feel much safer when there is foliage that they can fly into in the event of a BOP or a bully bird comes around.

i have placed the feeders close to the trees but not very high off the ground. Perhaps that makes a difference? I put them on those free standing gardening hooks used to hold hanging baskets..

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
That may be part of the problem. I'm sure the birds feel safer when they are higher up! I hang my feeders from the lower branch on a tree.

Users who are viewing this thread