• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie (1 Viewer)

Kath1977

United Kingdom
My name is Kathryn and I am new on here.

Due to covid I have been unable to work due to health issues and am shielding and been under house arrest for nearly a year now.

I have developed a new love, passion, obsession, expensive hobby....d watching, i bought a nice bird feeding station and decided to see what would come in our garden.

We live in Barry, South Wales and live right by the sea. Our house is off a very busy road but then also behind our house we have acres and acres of fields and woodland.

I live in a small cul-de-sac with only 14 houses but it is busy with cars and people constantly back and forth our front garden is very open with only a few pots with conifers for shelter etc and i know birds prefer shelter and to hide so wasn't expecting much action with my new hobby but omg I have been so surprised and it has made my whole lockdown experience so much more enjoyable to cope with having these beautiful birds.

We normally have 2 wood pigeons, ive called phil and phyllis hahahaha, a magpie, and a pair of collared doves, and a robin now and again but rare... But this week I have had 6 different species of bird in the garden. Am so excited by this...

We have had a tiny bird appear that me and my husband are thinking it is a wren, my auntie who is a bird watcher and has a book she always reads says NO it isnt.

Can anyone help us with identifying the little thing.

I apologise for the rubbish blurry photo I took it was hard as through a window, far away and such a tiny bird.

Anyway thanks for reading and will share my photos of all my birds on the forum and hoping to make some new bird friends as everyone thinks ive gone crazy!! Screenshot_20210210_123919.jpg

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

I'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section of the Forum and you'll be notified by email when someone replies ;)

Hello,
welcome to birdforum!
Its a Dunnock. Fine plumage details are lost due to low resolution and grainy picture (Its not meant as an offense, just to explain, why some features that add to the jizz of this species arent visible in your picture).
Please note:
the right lead-grey head ad breast
slender, insect-eater bill (excludes Finches and Sparrows)
streaked brown upperparts (in many Dunnocks warmer, but your bird is within varoation)

Hello Kath and welcome to BF!
Your auntie is right, not a Wren, and Alexander nailed it already: a Dunnock, also known as a Hedge Sparrow or a Common Accentor, lovely bird with a lovely song, very underrated just because it's a common bird.

Hello,
welcome to birdforum!
Its a Dunnock. Fine plumage details are lost due to low resolution and grainy picture (Its not meant as an offense, just to explain, why some features that add to the jizz of this species arent visible in your picture).
Please note:
the right lead-grey head ad breast
slender, insect-eater bill (excludes Finches and Sparrows)
streaked brown upperparts (in many Dunnocks warmer, but your bird is within varoation)
Aww thank you so much.

I know the photo is so poor, cant you tell im a newbie to this bird watching...😂😂

Im only using my mobile phone to take pics so not great photos and having to hide as they are so skittish if they see me in window.

Thank you for your reply and your help.
Hope you are keeping well.

Kath 😁😁

Hello Kath and welcome to BF!
Your auntie is right, not a Wren, and Alexander nailed it already: a Dunnock, also known as a Hedge Sparrow or a Common Accentor, lovely bird with a lovely song, very underrated just because it's a common bird.
Thank you so much, i am very excited to see such a bird in my garden.

Thanks for all the info on him.

Hope you are keeping well.

Kath 😁

Yes, as Alex says, a Dunnock, (our ssp of Dunnock are usually this grey Alex to go with the English weather 🙂)

A very warm welcome Kathy, your passion and obsession has found good company here. I too have been shielding for a nearly year! You may find this chart helpful while watching the garden

Yes, as Alex says, a Dunnock, (our ssp of Dunnock are usually this grey Alex to go with the English weather 🙂)

A very warm welcome Kathy, your passion and obsession has found good company here. I too have been shielding for a nearly year! You may find this chart helpful while watching the garden
Thank you deb that is lovely of you the chart will be great for me to look at.

Aww bless hope you are coping with the shielding, i am struggling but the birds have helped me so much. It has put a smile on my face.
Kath 😁😁😁

Hello Deb,

thanks for this information. I didnt know this, the vast majority of Dunnocks, I see in Germany, are warmer and browner above.

Hello Kath,

sorry, but it was just to explain, why some details arent there in your bird. Most of my pictures are even worse than this, trust me!
As Rafael said, the Dunnock is a common bird, that has some kind of unobtrusive beauty, its the Audrey Hepburn among the common species.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Dunnocks have the most beautiful song.

Hi Kath and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm pleased to see you've got the identification you wanted already, such sweet birds these Dunnocks (you may hear them referred to as Hedge Sparrows too, but they're not true sparrows).

I get down to your part of the world occasionally as my brother lives near Abergavenny, such a lovely area.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see in your garden and when you eventually manage to get out into the countryside.

A warm welcome from me as well. The folks are very friendly here in the main. I looking forward to see Scotland beat Wales today, but I do like watching Wales, as they play with so much flair out wide. Well, anyway, good luck with the birding and the rugby and feel free to ask questions about the birds you see in bonnie Barry Island. I was there once a long time ago with army friends who lived there.

A warm welcome from me as well. The folks are very friendly here in the main. I looking forward to see Scotland beat Wales today, but I do like watching Wales, as they play with so much flair out wide. Well, anyway, good luck with the birding and the rugby and feel free to ask questions about the birds you see in bonnie Barry Island. I was there once a long time ago with army friends who lived there.
I’d suggest it’s in the bag for Wales Andy. We just need one of your players to be sent off in the first 15 mins. Preferably Hogg. :LOL:

I’d suggest it’s in the bag for Wales Andy. We just need one of your players to be sent off in the first 15 mins. Preferably Hogg. :LOL:
More likeley to be Finn Russell our maverick top or flop center. If that kick to corner had found touch for Ireland, then it might have been a different result! I think it will be a tough, physical game for both sides and the best team will win, leaving Wales with won one lost one. Should be a massive game onyhoo!

The rugby was far too close for our liking, its the only sport that I scream at the tv!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Thank you for the lovely welcome Andy. Hope you are keeping well. 😁😁😁😁

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back