• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nice things from old binoculars that most new ones don't have (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
That stud for the open-bridge models (EL,SF) looks like a very bad balance point for stability. Not to mention that any stud will interfere with how I want to hold binoculars. A hole for a mounting screw would seem a better choice, as on Docter Nobilems, though I'm personally content with nothing.

John A Roberts

Australia
Hi tenex,

In terms of the balance point with the open bridge models, if the manufacturers had chosen to initially include the mounting capability, or if in the future they add it, they could presumedly modify the rear hinge to provide the mounting point.

The Outdoorsmans stud does protrude markedly more than that of the Swarovski SLC system, due to the different locking mechanism. The SLC’s uses a 6 fingered collet ring. And FWIW, I’ve not seen any users specifically mention that the SLC’s lug interferes with their hand holding. The usual comment is along the lines of: once it’s fitted just leave it on, as it doesn’t affect general use.

John

Attachments

• SLC Adaptor Plug.jpg
    SLC Adaptor Plug.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 6 Fingered Collar .jpg
    6 Fingered Collar .jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread