• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Niger seed (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Hi all,
Now back in the uk and have a lovely disabled flat , ground floor with an awesome small back garden, trees , bushes etc and quiet. :lots of birds already(first few days of feeding) Blue & great tits, starlings, robin, Thrush, blackbirds, crows, magpies, Chaffinch, sparrows and nuthatch ....
Yet none of them touch the niger seed ? the mixed seed, fat balls and coconut fat feeders , nuts and dried mealworms all going down well but not the niger seed!
Any idea why ?
When feeding years ago my niger seed was the most popular !!

Niger is the least popular food here. Coal tits feed on it and when we get them goldfinch, greenfinch, bullfinch enjoy it but they don’t visit that often.

Works really well here in NY Central Park for Goldfinches, only occasionally for everybody else.
I think the niger goes off more quickly because it is offered in a sock, so unless there is a bell over it, it gets wet and spoils.

My niger feeder is like a seed feeder only with smaller ports, i.e. a plastic tube with lid and landing perches.

My niger feeder is like a seed feeder only with smaller ports, i.e. a plastic tube with lid and landing perches.

Those sometimes accumulate dampness at the bottom, which makes the niger less appealing. So fairly frequent clean out and seed replacement is advisable.
The NYC situation is helped by the high consumption rate, a dozen or more Goldfinches is not unusual, so the socks empty fast.

Yes, the niger feeder gets cleaned and refilled regularly, same as all our feeders.

Thanks all, it is cleaned often and I am hoping for finches etc but the feeder has only been in place for a week so doing well already.
Thanks again ;-)

I didn't have much luck using niger seed but then I changed to sunflower hearts and have never looked back. Most birds seem to love them and we regularly have over a dozen Goldfinches feeding on them at the same time. They are much less messy than niger seeds too. I find a stainless steel mesh type feeder works the best.

Ron

I have used niger seeds occasionally (still have them in the garage) but the birds love the sunflower seeds including the Gold & Greenfinches who were never a regular to my feeders until I got a brand new feeder in August.

Worth persevering with the niger - took the goldfinches a while to arrive, but regularly get 15-20 around the niger feeder (metal tube with tiny holes). I also get siskin at the niger, though not as often. Definitely worth it! Good luck.

Worth persevering with the niger - took the goldfinches a while to arrive, but regularly get 15-20 around the niger feeder (metal tube with tiny holes). I also get siskin at the niger, though not as often. Definitely worth it! Good luck.

Here in NYC Central Park, the niger feeders are usually the domain of the Goldfinches, but the Pine Siskins do enjoy them as well on the rare occasions that they come out way.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back