• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night calling bird (2 Viewers)

d.steeley

England
Hi folks, my neice lives in Stratford upon Avon and has sent me a sound file via Whatsapp. Apparently it calls for long periods every night (she could mean evening). I have to have my phone on its highest volume setting to hear it but I thought it sounded like a young bird of prey calling to be fed. House is on an estate with shops and warehouses nearby and Aldi car park at bottom of garden. If you can hear it, any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Dave

Not sure if sound file loaded

Doesn't look as if it has, I'll have to try something else unless anyone can tell me how to do it.

Cheers.

Dave

I've never done one Dave, but I think if you make sure it's in ummm.....mp3 format(?), then use the Attach Files (paper clip) below the message pane, you should be able to do it that way.

Though I'm happy to be corrected.

Obviously I can't give a true answer without the audio file, but most times a bird calling at night is usually an owl - and one that sounds like a bird of prey is usually a Tawny owl.

Just mentioning that in case the OP can do a search for Tawny owl (if they can't get the audio uploaded) and see if it matches.

Long-eared owl would be my first guess - their juvenile begging calls would typically be very conspicuous, often heard in residential areas and often attract attention of people . It would be good to hear the actual sound to make a conclusion, however :)

Thanks for the comments folks. Hi Delia, the current file says it's mp4, so I may see if I can convert it to mp3 and see if it works. I tried to attach it by clicking on 'Attach files' (as you say, the one with a paperclip) and it seems to load but then I get a message "the uploaded file was not a video as expected". Although the message "WhatsApp Audio 2022-0..." also appears in the same box. When I click "post reply" my text appears but not the uploaded file. I'll keep trying.

I'll have a listen to a few owl sounds to see if there is a match.

Cheers

Dave

mp4 is a video format, if you upload a file called something.mp4 the forum software will treat it as a video and try to render it as such. If something.mp4 is not actually a video the upload will fail.

I'm guessing something has gone wrong in the transfer from your niece and the file extension has got changed.

mp4 is a video format, if you upload a file called something.mp4 the forum software will treat it as a video and try to render it as such. If something.mp4 is not actually a video the upload will fail.

I'm guessing something has gone wrong in the transfer from your niece and the file extension has got changed.
Thanks Mono. Hopefully Dave can work something out now.

Long Eared Owl was something that came to mind too from your description; for a few weeks at this time the year the calls can be very persistent. LEO commoner here in Ireland, replacing Tawny in some habitats, but I know less likely there in GB.

Hi all, I have managed to convert the file to mp3 and it seems to have loaded ok. Although my neice says the bird calls quite loudly, the recording is very quiet, I have to put my volume level high to hear it.

Dave

Attachments

• WhatsApp Audio 2022-08-03 at 8.37.02 PM (1) (1).mp3
    132.4 KB
I hear a similar call on the local gold course during the morning or evening. For some reason I thought it was Soarrowhawk chicks beg (because I regularly see male and female adults in the area).
But we have breeding Tawny Owl, too.

I look forward to hearing from someone with a more refined ear !

I hear a similar call on the local gold course during the morning or evening. For some reason I thought it was Soarrowhawk chicks beg (because I regularly see male and female adults in the area).
But we have breeding Tawny Owl, too.

I look forward to hearing from someone with a more refined ear !
That's a good shout as I've edited the mp3 to increase the volume and to reduce the background noise and I think you're right.

Here's a link to xeno of a similar begging call (as not all Sprawk begging calls are completely the same) XC580319 Eurasian Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus)

Attachments

• 1407364-9824584f60782857e7ac10a29b2f1710-edit.mp3
    251.1 KB
The sound recording sounds quite like the Sparrowhawk that is calling all day long in my neighbourhood. Or a juvenile gull, which is probably more likely given the habitat.

Last edited:
The sound recording sounds quite like the Sparrowhawk that is calling all day long in my neighbourhood. Or a juvenile gull, which is probably more likely given the habitat.

After listening again, I think I do hear more of a 'trill' type sound which would indicate the begging call of a juvenile Herring Gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back