• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night vision binoculars (1 Viewer)

Sandy16

Hi all
Im wondering could anyone rexommend best night vision binoculars. I want to get a pair for my husband. We live on a farm with a lot of forestry and he enjoys looking at the birds etc. This is just a passtime for him so i dont want to pay a crazy amount. Also I think he would prefer to be hands free so a pair he could have strapped would be better for him. Thank you in advance.
Sandy

With night vision you get what you pay.... cheap intensifiers are less than useless. The “proper stuff”, gen2/3 can really turn night into day, but outside the US you’ll be talking several thousands for reasonable stuff. You can get binocular models, that can be helmet mounted but they’ll not be as common as monoculars. With high enough spec unit and the right filters these can also do magic things to see through light pollution. I understand here is a non US night vision sales Facebook group where you might be able to find some or look on internet hunting forums.

Digital night vision isn’t too bad and a good deal cheaper but you’ll want one with an invisible (900nm) illuminator or things will see the dull red glow of the illuminator. Not sure about hand free units. A recent very sensitive low light camera that’s available and seems to get some good reviews https://www.sionyx.com/products/aurora-sport (though if it gets REALLY dark it will give up well before a good intensifier would), depends how dark it gets round your way.

For spotting animals at night there is also thermal, though avoid the lowest cost stuff, the pulsar axion series is quite good, I’ve just got one and finally found where the owls hide in the local park.

Hope that helps, probably not what you want to hear, but I don’t like people getting disappointed. With the right stuff you can really “rule the night”.

PEter

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back