• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nighthawk 7x35. Model 770 (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
Picked these up today. They are "new, old stock". I like them. Nice and solid, but fairly compact. Views are bright, and focus it sharp. Kind of an odd shape, but they fit my hands well. I love nice clean optics that have never been touched.

Attachments

• IMG_9383aaa.jpg
    IMG_9383aaa.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9380eee.jpg
    IMG_9380eee.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9384[33984]nnnnnn.jpg
    IMG_9384[33984]nnnnnn.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Steve C

The first binocular I ever bought, back in 1968, when I was a college Biology major, was a Swift Nighthawk 8x40. It has longer objective barrels than the 7x35, so it is bigger. You are right about the view, it is pretty good. I still have it, and make time to use it every so often. It was a good birding binocular then, and I still don't feel particularly handicapped even today if I were to use it as an only binocular. I does have a unique shape, but it also fits my hands quite well. It has a 500' fov, some 2 degrees wider than the 7x35.

Where do you get the Swifts? I'm guessing ebay, but in the limited looking I do there nowadays, I don't see the quality yours seem to show.

elkcub

Silicon Valley, California
United States
Here are the two Nighthawks from Swift's 1974 catalog. Suggested retail was $78.95 and $82.50 respectfully. For comparison, the Audubon was $149.95.

My only problem with the 7x35 that I own is its tendency to fall over when stood on the objectives. It also doesn't hang very well IMO. Otherwise, it's a solid binocular.

I must have bought it on eBay years ago with caps, black case and straps in as-new condition.

Ed

PS. I upgraded the PDF file.

Attachments

• 1974 Swift Nighthawks.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread