• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nightjar? (1 Viewer)

CWOBrien

Hi everyone,

I know it's a tough ask, but does anyone have recommendations of places to see nightjars in Ireland?

Thanks a lot,
C

Captain_of_Crunch

YVdpep_re64
I suspect your best options will be either to visit a migration site such as Great Saltee in April/May. A more interesting alternative, and a great way to improve knowledge of the species in Ireland is staking out good looking habitat near where you live (clear fell, heathland).

Other than that, you will probably need to go on a weekend trip to Wales or England (e.g. the Brecks) to see this species.

CWOBrien

I suspect your best options will be either to visit a migration site such as Great Saltee in April/May. A more interesting alternative, and a great way to improve knowledge of the species in Ireland is staking out good looking habitat near where you live (clear fell, heathland).

Other than that, you will probably need to go on a weekend trip to Wales or England (e.g. the Brecks) to see this species.

I've read September is the best time to see them on passage, is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread