• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon 10x25 Image Stabilized Binocular Review (3 Viewers)

dries1

Dave,

Thanks for the video, a bit of an escape to wear a tee shorts and flip flops again. My 9 foot long board collects dust, and that guy is laughing like a kid, love it.

I really think 10X25 has been the most difficult glass to handle, I did have a LX L 10X25 but the 8X20 is more reasonable for me at that size. Let us know how they do over time, I hope Nikon comes up with more of these ideas.

Never take that weather for granted.

Best Regards and Aloha

Andy W.

[email protected]

Supporter
Yea Andy, the weather / light levels can impact things. Man, I really like the little Nikons. I think they are great. They are my car binoculars and I use them to check out the waves at my favorite surf spot on my way home from work. It's probably 2 1/4 miles from my observation point but I can see if there is any action.

Tourism is back open to Hawaii. Come out and catch some waves with me... Video from last month off the Marine Air Base in Kaneohe Bay...8AM bugle call.
https://youtu.be/t95vXZ7OQDc
That is my kind of surfing! You don't have to stand up on the dang board. What happens if it overturns does it right itself like a kayak?

Last edited:

[email protected]

Supporter
Dave,

Thanks for the video, a bit of an escape to wear a tee shorts and flip flops again. My 9 foot long board collects dust, and that guy is laughing like a kid, love it.

I really think 10X25 has been the most difficult glass to handle, I did have a LX L 10X25 but the 8X20 is more reasonable for me at that size. Let us know how they do over time, I hope Nikon comes up with more of these ideas.

Never take that weather for granted.

Best Regards and Aloha

Andy W.
The Nikon LXL 10x25 is nice compact for the price and very similar in optics to the Nikon 10x25 IS.

dries1

Nikon 10X25

The Nikon LXL 10x25 is nice compact for the price and very similar in optics to the Nikon 10x25 IS.

I could never hold them steady, I have an easier time with a 10X42. I think the small size was another drawback for me. With the IS in 10X25 I think Nikon said if it can work on a 10X25, it can work on a 10X42 also. I really believe Nikon will expand the line within a year.

Andy W.

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I could never hold them steady, I have an easier time with a 10X42. I think the small size was another drawback for me. With the IS in 10X25 I think Nikon said if it can work on a 10X25, it can work on a 10X42 also. I really believe Nikon will expand the line within a year.

Andy W.

Andy:
That is an interesting wish, but I don't think we will see IS from Nikon in the larger sizes. It does not sell, just look at Canon, and their small efforts.

It serves mostly as a design exercise, and good to see they are doing it.

They have had the Nikon-Kowa collaberation some years ago with IS.

Jerry

dries1

Personally I think the reason that IS in mid size formats 8X to larger 18x by Canon may not be so popular is the size of the glass esp. (15X50 and 18X50), even the Canon IS 10X42 is a bit large IMO. If IS could be made into a glass such as the size your SF 10X42, sales could increase. One never knows. It will be interesting to see how the 10X25 IS sells in Japan.

Andy W.

[email protected]

Supporter
Personally I think the reason that IS in mid size formats 8X to larger 18x by Canon may not be so popular is the size of the glass esp. (15X50 and 18X50), even the Canon IS 10X42 is a bit large IMO. If IS could be made into a glass such as the size your SF 10X42, sales could increase. One never knows. It will be interesting to see how the 10X25 IS sells in Japan.

Andy W.
Kite makes a pretty nice line of IS binoculars. MIJ probably by Kamakura but heck so is the Zeiss Victory 8x25 that every body likes so much. Kite makes a 10x30 IS,12x30 IS, 12x42 IS and a 16x42 IS. I just bought the 16x42 IS and it is pretty nice. I like it better than the Canon's and it is much smaller and only weighs 28 oz. with two AA batteries in it. I know the exit pupil is small for you but you can see a heck of a lot of detail with them. Check it out.

https://www.kiteoptics.com/en/hunting/product/244/bino-apc-stabilized-42/

Attachments

• KITE_APC_42-down.jpg
    KITE_APC_42-down.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

[email protected]

Supporter
I have decided to keep the Nikon 10x25 IS compact binocular's. I use a compact once in a while, and they are still the best compacts I have found. They don't have the optics of the Swarovski CL-P 10x25 or the Zeiss Victory 10x25 but with the IS engaged and a steady image you can see much more detail than either.

Users who are viewing this thread