• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 10x25 Image Stabilized Binocular's available anywhere yet? Anywhere? (1 Viewer)

Why would anyone on a birding forum be interested in these bins?
Really! There seems to be a lot of birders using 8x25 and 10x25 Swarovski CL-P and Zeiss Victories for their compact size. The IS system would add about 33% more resolution at 10x will help stabilize the smaller, lighter binocular and will help with eye placement with the smaller exit pupil. They will probably out perform the Swarovski or Zeiss.

"I don't know whether you are aware of the "Handheld-Binocular Efficiency" Index presented by Yoder / Vukobratovich in their "Field Guide to Binoculars and Scopes", p.53. They calculate it handheld Efficiency = Mounted Efficiency / (1+0.05 x magnification). They define "efficiency" as the ratio between what details become visible with an optical instrument vs. the unaided eye. If I grossly simplify that for our purposes, I would talk about "performance". So if my way to calculate (I am only lawyer, after all wink.gif ) is correct, the handheld performance for a 10x bino vs. a mounted 10x would be about 67%, the handheld performance of a 7x bino vs. a mounted 7x would be about 75%. So you "lose" about a third resp. A quarter of the binocular performance when you use these binos unmounted.What is fully in line with your findings is that the gain in mounting a bino drastically increases, the higher the magnification gets."

Last edited:
I've been thinking about getting an IS binocular for bicycling+birding. On bike rides, I often scan wetlands and other water bodies for shorebirds where a scope is ideal for magnification and stability (hands shake after biking!) but I don't want to carry one on the bike. Currently, I use a Browning 8x32, which is a conventional binocular, but a small IS binocular in 10x or 12x might be much better. My only concern is whether the IS would tolerate such treatment (the shake from riding on bumpy gravel roads is really hard on equipment). This Nikon might be a good choice, so I will be interested in your review.

--AP

I've been thinking about getting an IS binocular for bicycling+birding. On bike rides, I often scan wetlands and other water bodies for shorebirds where a scope is ideal for magnification and stability (hands shake after biking!) but I don't want to carry one on the bike. Currently, I use a Browning 8x32, which is a conventional binocular, but a small IS binocular in 10x or 12x might be much better. My only concern is whether the IS would tolerate such treatment (the shake from riding on bumpy gravel roads is really hard on equipment). This Nikon might be a good choice, so I will be interested in your review.

--AP
It will probably be over a week. It is coming from an eBay seller in Japan, and they don't even ship for 5 days. I do the same as you. I ride my Trek road bike down the Poudre River Trail in Greeley and then I stop and scan for birds and waterfowl along the river and on the shore. There are a lot of different species there and even Mountain Lions have been spotted. You always see deer and wild turkey along the route and that is what I am buying the Nikon 10x25 IS for. I think with the IS and the big knurled knob on the focuser I might even be able to use it one handed like I do my Pentax VM 6x21 WP Monocular. I bought a Lowepro Dashpoint 20 Camera Bag so I can attach it to my belt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OQUZEI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Attachments

• Lowepro_lp36441_0ww_Dashpoint_20_Camera_Pouch_1343657150_884418.jpg
    Lowepro_lp36441_0ww_Dashpoint_20_Camera_Pouch_1343657150_884418.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back