• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 12x40 CF WA 5.5º (2 Viewers)

Hi, I have a Nikon 12x40 CF WA 5.5º bought in the 80s and I appreciate it very much for its great optical and mechanical quality. The E series, to which this model belongs, was the high range of Nikon in the 80s. The only shortcoming of this model is that it is not multicoated and its anti-reflection coating is blue in appearance.
Does anyone know if a multicoated version of this model was also manufactured?

Greetings from Madrid
Rafael

Last edited:
Yes there was a multi-coated version. Somebody posted a photo of one here a number of years ago. You should be able to find the thread with the photo using the search feature at the top right of this page.

Does anyone know if a multicoated version of this model was also manufactured?

Rafael, yes there was indeed a multicoated E 12x40, belonging to the (C) range of the E series. I had it for a while and enjoyed its lovely view and great ergonomics.
I wrote my impressions here:
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3815036&postcount=12

Roger Vine has a thorough review of the 8x30 E from the same (C) multicoated range, where he talks about its many charms.

In the end I got myself a pair of 10x42 SE which are such a joy to use, so I sold the 12x42 (I also had a 12x42 Monarch 5, which was also very nice, but maybe a little less sharp/sparkling than the E (C), although I never got to test them side by side). So, if you can can find one, its surely a great buy.
I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your quick responses.

I also have the Nikon 8x30 E multicoated, which is my best 8x30 among several I own, but I have never seen a 12x40 multicoated. I'll try to find one.

Best regards
Rafael

Hi Rafael,

Based on my observations, the serial number ranges of both the single and multi coated E versions:

. . .
A) Multi Coated E Series - from 1988 to 1998 (90k+ over 11 years)

- 8x30 from 400k: 400,174 - 448,643+ (48k+)

- 10x35 from 600k: 600,542 to 615,676+ (15k+)

- 7x35 from 200k: 200,347 to 217,591+ (17k+)

- 12x40 from 800k: 800,204 to 811,718+ (11k+)

B) Single Coated E Series - 1978 to 1987 (180k+ over 10 years)
- 8x30 from 880k: 880,276 to 936,734+ (56k+)

- 10x35 from 110k: 114,772 to 153,420+ (43k+)

- 7x35 from 770k: 770,100 to 818,427+ (48k+)

- 12x40 from 660k: 661,428 to 693,341+ (33k+)
. . .

John

Thank you John, superb information.

Yarrellii:
Rafael, yes there was indeed a multicoated E 12x40, belonging to the (C) range of the E series. I had it for a while and enjoyed its lovely view and great ergonomics.

I wonder why you got rid of your 12x40 E multicoated. In my case I tend to keep the good specimens that I find because I am a (moderate) binoculars collector.

Cheers
Rafael

PS: Yarrelli: after posting the above I found the post where you offer your 12x40 for sale. It is a pity that I didn't see this post!

Last edited:
Rafael, while I can understand the allure of collecting high quality (and now hard to find) binoculars, I've never had that itch. I've had the pleasure of using very fine instruments (that sometimes I was lucky enough to find at really good prices), but at the moment I'm more like in a "search mode" attitude towards binoculars. So I buy and sell depending on my interest at a particular time. So I've enjoyed using those 12x, but now I don't have any in that format. Sometimes I regret selling some binoculars (7x42 FL, or 7x42 UVHD), but since I sold them to fund other purchases that I find enticing, well, there's not a lot of remorse :)
A real pity to have sold the 12x40 a while ago (I remember I sold them to someone in Japan). I hope you find a copy. I've seen a 10x35 E (C) currently on sale on the German "classified ad" section of Ebay: Ebaykleinanzeigen.de

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Lately I also use my binoculars for the observation of birds in my environment, which are magpies, iberian magpies (cyanopica cooki), starlings, bee-eaters, blackbirds and pigeons.

Cheers
Rafael

Hello,
That is an intersting thread for me.
I hope somebody can help me.
I like the old Nikon porros and bouhgt recently an old 8*30e.
On the top of the case stays 8*30 8,3 WF C.
Does anyone know whether this binoculars are already multicoated.

Thanks a lot for the links.
I will not geht the binoculars until next week.
But i hope ist is the binoculars that Roger Vine describes.
I am very curious already.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back