• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 20x56 vs Maven 18x56 C4 (and other high power binoculars) (1 Viewer)

KoenNL

Hi All,

Have been looking for some decent high power binoculars for (flying) birds of the metal variety. Does anyone know how the Nikon Monarch 5 20x56 binoculars compare to the Maven C4 18x56? It's hard to find any info about the latter in particular.

Any other suggestions under about €1000 would be welcome as well. The Meopta 15x56 B1 (non plus version) can be had for just under €1000 but would be at least €250 more expensive than the other two. Also, 15x would be about the minimum magnification I'd be looking for.

Thanks!

Koen

I can‘t say anything about the Maven.

The advantages of the Monarch 5 20x56 (and its sibling, the 16x56), compared to other 15x, 16x, 18x and 20x binos, are their compact build and modest price.

There are optically higher performing binos in the same price category (e.g. APM 16x70, APM 20x70) which also have ED glass, but they are much larger, so if you use them „half mounted, half free-hand“ (as I would expect when observing „metal birds“), the Nikons are easier to handle.

Then there are better 15x, 16x, 18x or 20x binos (e.g. Nikon 18x70, Swarovski SLC 15x56) but they are way more expensive.

The Meopta 15x56 is close to the Monarch in size, but, as you write, more expensive, but still within your budget. Optically, it is superb, very close to the SLC. It would be my choice (See here: Meopta MeoStar B1 15×56 HD – Binoculars Today).

Just a remark about magnification: 20x can be a bit high during the day when air turbulence is high; this is when I would use a 15x or 16x bino with their slightly wider FOV.

just my 2 ct.
Canip

Good prices with the sale on Vortex binoculars at B&H. I bought the Vortex Diamond 15x56 for $319 with free shipping. There are also the Vortex Razor that are selling for less than $500.

Thanks for your responses.

@Canip I did look at the APM binoculars but as they don't have a focus knob but individual focus I think they wouldn't be great when viewing aircraft. The same goes for the Nikon 18x70. I've owned 30x60 binoculars before, which is doable with moving aircraft but holding them still when needed is harder of course.

Price wise and magnification wise the Nikon 20x56 appeal to me most but the higher quality of the Meopta's does tempt me to consider them.

@Elkhornsun Thanks for your suggestion. The Razor 15x56 can be had for under €500 in my country I think I would rather pay slightly more for the Nikons that have 30 percent more magnification as I don't expect them to be optically superior to the Monarchs from what I've read so far.

Cheers,

Koen

The Nikon Monarch 5 20x56 is probably the best mid-priced long range binocular, and the Vortex Kaibab 20x56 is probably the best higher end unless you want to go real high end then there is the Swarovski SLC 15x56 which of course is one of the best around. The Meopta Meostar B1 15x56 HD is an excellent binocular, but I find Meoptas to have very poor resale and also Meopta has laid off hundreds of employees in their optics division due to low demand, so I question if they will be around in the future. If you don't want to deal with a tripod, there are several high power IS binoculars available. Sig Sauer has an IS binocular in 16x42 and 20x42 called the Zulu 6 HDX which only weighs 22 oz. and has two different stabilization modes. One for panning and one for what they call target mode for still objects.

Last edited:
I use the Canon 18x50 IS.

I can see the aircraft windows with this, maybe two or three miles away, say 3 to 5km.

The Kite and clones 16x42 IS might be O.K.

I have also used the Tento 20x60 and old Japanese 20x80.

There is a Viper 20x65.
Also a 20x70.

Beck Tordalk 22x80 may be £300.

The old Japanese large Porroprism binoculars can be found in good condition for £100 or £150.

It wouldn't surprise me if more detail is seen with a Canon 10x30 IS than a Nikon 20x56 hand held.

I used a 3 inch refractor on a garden tripod to follow aircraft to 400km away.
50,000ft plus, contrails and black dot aircraft in front.
80x filar micrometer eyepiece or 60x terrestrial eyepiece.

The Zeiss 20x60S is very good.

Regards,
B.

Thanks for the suggestions Denco and Binastro. I have some more reading to do about the suggested options it seems.

Cheers,

Koen

I have a Zulu 6 16x42 on order and I get it Thursday. I will let you know what I think of it when I get it.
Nice! Not too many of those around. Will look forward to your impressions.
As to the thread -- the Canon 18x50IS definitely works really well tracking planes in flight. As @Binastro mentioned -- you can actually see the windows of the planes. I was quite astonished when I first saw that.
But they are quite heavy and ergonomics isn't that great.
So the 16x42 models from Kite, Bresser, Sig Sauer, etc. might be a valid alternative.

Nice! Not too many of those around. Will look forward to your impressions.
As to the thread -- the Canon 18x50IS definitely works really well tracking planes in flight. As @Binastro mentioned -- you can actually see the windows of the planes. I was quite astonished when I first saw that.
But they are quite heavy and ergonomics isn't that great.
So the 16x42 models from Kite, Bresser, Sig Sauer, etc. might be a valid alternative.
I think with the Zulu 6 16x42 I should be able to see the pilot flirting with the stewardesses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back