• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 800MM PF Lens anyone yet..? (1 Viewer)

Really?

I suppose I'd better cancel my preorder then.

This guy doesn't think f/6.3 is too slow. 800 PF images.
Mike you will always get a tire kicker whom would not buy it for $500.00 bash on something..I have the Nikon 800MM F/5.6 FLED $16,000.00 lens and I bet its to slow for hime also.. HAH What a joke.... I want one and also the new 400Z 2.8 and surely that will be to slow also as in to much money :)

Mike you will always get a tire kicker whom would not buy it for $500.00 bash on something..I have the Nikon 800MM F/5.6 FLED $16,000.00 lens and I bet its to slow for hime also.. HAH What a joke.... I want one and also the new 400Z 2.8 and surely that will be to slow also as in to much money :)
Going by the reviews I’ve seen it’s going to be an awesome lens. I’ve had my order in with my local camera store since the very first development announcement months ago.

I wish Canon would make something similar. With Canon it seems you either spend $10k+ for one of the fast telephotos or you get to use a zoom.

I'd jump ship, but I'm really disappointed in Nikon moving almost all production to China.

When you get your lens please post some shots!!!

I wish Canon would make something similar. With Canon it seems you either spend $10k+ for one of the fast telephotos or you get to use a zoom.

I'd jump ship, but I'm really disappointed in Nikon moving almost all production to China.

When you get your lens please post some shots!!!
Low in stuff made in China as my 400 500 600 and 800 FLED Telephotos as well las the new $14,000.00 400mmZ Lens are made in japan... Hmmmm jumping ship is not needed as you just buy what suits you made "IN JAPAN" from all the companies as I did..Sorry but my LEICA's all 5 of them are not made in Japan so you would not be jumping ship to LEICA.. (COUGH)

Low in stuff made in China as my 400 500 600 and 800 FLED Telephotos as well las the new $14,000.00 400mmZ Lens are made in japan... Hmmmm jumping ship is not needed as you just buy what suits you made "IN JAPAN" from all the companies as I did..Sorry but my LEICA's all 5 of them are not made in Japan so you would not be jumping ship to LEICA.. (COUGH)

I didn't say everything was Made in China, I said almost everything. The 500mm f/5.3 and the new 600mm f/6.3 are both Made in China, and I wouldn't call those low end. Even the top dog mirrorless Z9 is Made in Thailand.

With Canon even the cheap RP is Made in Japan, and only their cheapest lenses are Made in Malaysia.

I'm not commenting on quality, as good stuff can be made anywhere. I just personally find it disappointing.

Last edited:
I didn't say everything was Made in China, I said almost everything. The 500mm f/5.3 and the new 600mm f/6.3 are both Made in China, and I wouldn't call those low end. Even the top dog mirrorless Z9 is Made in Thailand.

With Canon even the cheap RP is Made in Japan, and only their cheapest lenses are Made in Malaysia.

I'm not commenting on quality, as good stuff can be made anywhere. I just personally find it disappointing.

What exactly do you find disappointing?

What exactly do you find disappointing?

That Nikon, with it's storied history, doesn't even make cameras in Japan anymore. They were pioneering in turning the image of "Made in Japan" from cheap junk to professional quality.

Many don't care where stuff is made. To each their own, I'm not going to try to convince anyone to care. I'm just saying that personally I find it disappointing and I'll stick with the company that is committed to making a majority of their product in Japan.

That Nikon, with it's storied history, doesn't even make cameras in Japan anymore. They were pioneering in turning the image of "Made in Japan" from cheap junk to professional quality.

Many don't care where stuff is made. To each their own, I'm not going to try to convince anyone to care. I'm just saying that personally I find it disappointing and I'll stick with the company that is committed to making a majority of their product in Japan.
Mmmmmmm. According to DPReview the Z9 is the best camera they’ve ever tested. Made in Thailand and costs $5496.95. The new Z Mount 800PF is made in China I believe, that is $6496.95. For comparison the newly released Canon 800mm is $16999.00.

Made in Japan is not worth it, you can get an 800PF and 2 x Z9 for the price of the Made in Japan lens.

The 800PF is shipping now. I‘m glad I didn’t cancel it when the guy said it was too slow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It's a good lens, image quality is excellent, but it feels a bit too niche to me and it's still pretty heavy with the Z9 mounted.

But I'm sure it will be quite popular.

Tell us your opinion when you get one.

It's a good lens, image quality is excellent, but it feels a bit too niche to me and it's still pretty heavy with the Z9 mounted.

But I'm sure it will be quite popular.

Tell us your opinion when you get one.
I would agree that for most people it’s overkill. Hopefully for a lot of people so I get mine faster. My order has been in with my local camera store since the development announcement.

I am also on the hunt for one to go along with my 500MM PF that now resides in SriLanka on my D850 I a really itching to land me a Z9 and 800MM PF Combo before we had back to SriLanka in October..

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back