• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8X30 E2 (1 Viewer)

puprescue

i have 2 Nikon 8X32 SE's i bought new when they were introduced. i'm lusting after a 8X30 E2, after buying a 10X35 E2. the 10X35 E2 is the only binocular i own that is sharper than my 10X32 LX's. I bought the LX's when Stephen Ingraham named thw 8X32 LX his reference standard. his opinions were the gold standard with me. will i be able to notice a sharper image with the E2 than with the SE's? i'm 84 and probably not many more new binoculars in my future, and am fortunate that i don't have to worry about new binoculars or food on the table. would like to hear from those who own both. by the way, is Stephen Ingraham still alive?....i'd like to drop him a short note expressing my gratitude for his news letter, which was my introduction to binoculars.

I had the SE some years ago but never the E2. Based on comments here on this forum I believe the SE may be slightly sharper or you may not notice a difference.

There’s an 8x30 E2 for sale in the classified section right now. You should grab it.
Otherwise you’d have to order from Japan I believe.

I used to have the 8x32 and 10x42 SE's . I also had the 8x30 and 10x35 E2's . Never had the SE's and E2's at the same time so couldn't do a side by side comparison .
From memory I preferred the E2's . To me they (especially 8x30) were more comfortable , similar sharpness and noticeably wider fov . Needing to wear glasses changed everything 😢😭 .

There’s an 8x30 E2 for sale in the classified section right now. You should grab it.
Otherwise you’d have to order from Japan I believe.
He's asking $440 US ($600CA) shipped for a used (like new) 8x30E2 . You can get a new one from Japan through Ebay for $455US ($619CA) . Both of my E2's were bought brand new from Japan through Ebay with no problems at all .

He's asking $440 US ($600CA) shipped for a used (like new) 8x30E2 . You can get a new one from Japan through Ebay for $455US ($619CA) . Both of my E2's were bought brand new from Japan through Ebay with no problems at all .
my 10x35 E2's came from EBay-Japan. appreciate ALL feedback.

I had the E2 8x30 and the SE 8x32 simultaneously. I first got the E2 and really liked it, and got curious so when I got the chance to get a SE I jumped into it. This might sound a bit odd, but while both have a lot in common, I think they are also quite different. First, there's the tactile/grip/hold area. I really like the SE, I think I prefer it over the E2. Your hands just want to cup the tapered "shoulders" of the SE and remain there; in my case it's such a perfect exercise of ergonomics. However (also in my case) the ease of view goes clearly to the E2; I don't wear glasses, so I use the eyecups all the way up. I never got on 100 % with the SE 8x32, while the E2 feel like coming back home after a long work day and putting on your old a worn sleepers. Like using a well used and broken in leather shoes, is that kind of feeling.

Regarding the view, I think the SE is superior (as the name seems to imply). I find a bit more contrast and sharpness. As a matter of fact, I gave the SE to my brother, so I have the chance to re-evalute it a couple of times a year when we go birding together, and then I continue to be amazed about the view of the SE. In fact, I've compared the SE endless times with my Swarovski EL 8x32 and somehow I prefer the view through the SE, but the EL is simply on a league on its own when it comes to ease of use and viewing comfort (to me, it behaves almost like a 8x42).
To my eyes, the E2 is probably a bit more immersive, due to both the wider FOV and the easier eye placement.
However, as "pure view" goes, the SE offers a more contrasty and sharp image that is simply mind-blowing.
Both are great binoculars, and I'm happy to have kept the E2, although I prefer the view of the SE.

As an aside: I've never been a "10x person" (I find I need to step up to 12x to really enjoy a difference that it's worth it compared to 8x), but the only 10x that has made me use it with great joy for a continuous amount of time is the Nikon SE 10x42. I found the 10x42 had a superior ease of view compared to the 8x32 SE, don't ask me why, while the rest of the performance was still there from the smaller brother.

So, after reading your message, I'd also recommend you getting the E2, you will probably enjoy it as well, maybe not for the ultimate bit of "spark" in the image, but for the comfort, the immersive view and the charm that makes the E2 irresistible for many, myself included. As a wildcard, maybe you could try the Swarovski Habicht 8x30. I would not recommend it for birdwatching, due to the really hard focus wheel, but as a "general purpose"/landscape/nature binocular the view is unmatched, simply addictive.

I had the E2 8x30 and the SE 8x32 simultaneously. I first got the E2 and really liked it, and got curious so when I got the chance to get a SE I jumped into it. This might sound a bit odd, but while both have a lot in common, I think they are also quite different. First, there's the tactile/grip/hold area. I really like the SE, I think I prefer it over the E2. Your hands just want to cup the tapered "shoulders" of the SE and remain there; in my case it's such a perfect exercise of ergonomics. However (also in my case) the ease of view goes clearly to the E2; I don't wear glasses, so I use the eyecups all the way up. I never got on 100 % with the SE 8x32, while the E2 feel like coming back home after a long work day and putting on your old a worn sleepers. Like using a well used and broken in leather shoes, is that kind of feeling.

Regarding the view, I think the SE is superior (as the name seems to imply). I find a bit more contrast and sharpness. As a matter of fact, I gave the SE to my brother, so I have the chance to re-evalute it a couple of times a year when we go birding together, and then I continue to be amazed about the view of the SE. In fact, I've compared the SE endless times with my Swarovski EL 8x32 and somehow I prefer the view through the SE, but the EL is simply on a league on its own when it comes to ease of use and viewing comfort (to me, it behaves almost like a 8x42).
To my eyes, the E2 is probably a bit more immersive, due to both the wider FOV and the easier eye placement.
However, as "pure view" goes, the SE offers a more contrasty and sharp image that is simply mind-blowing.
Both are great binoculars, and I'm happy to have kept the E2, although I prefer the view of the SE.

As an aside: I've never been a "10x person" (I find I need to step up to 12x to really enjoy a difference that it's worth it compared to 8x), but the only 10x that has made me use it with great joy for a continuous amount of time is the Nikon SE 10x42. I found the 10x42 had a superior ease of view compared to the 8x32 SE, don't ask me why, while the rest of the performance was still there from the smaller brother.

So, after reading your message, I'd also recommend you getting the E2, you will probably enjoy it as well, maybe not for the ultimate bit of "spark" in the image, but for the comfort, the immersive view and the charm that makes the E2 irresistible for many, myself included. As a wildcard, maybe you could try the Swarovski Habicht 8x30. I would not recommend it for birdwatching, due to the really hard focus wheel, but as a "general purpose"/landscape/nature binocular the view is unmatched, simply addictive.
Yarrellii, It’s like I wrote that myself 🙏🏼

Happy Holidays

Paul

the feedback is much appreciated. as usual there are a few differences of opinions regarding which gives best view. this forum is such a valuable resource for those of us who are short on binocular experience. thank you all for taking the time to share your experience.

i'm going to "plump" for the 8x30 E2's, but will wait til after Christmas, as shipping at this time of year can be dicey. i have had good luck with optics shipped from Japan, never a bad experience. i had a 10X42 SE and it was stolen when my wife and i had a farm sale [sale of equipment, tools, etc] after selling our ranch 15 years ago. it provided an amazing view and the theft stings even now after all these years. i have the 12X50 SE also, and it is in the same class as the other SE's.

again, thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back