• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 HG vs. Leica 8x32 UVHD+ (1 Viewer)

ZDHart

United States
Has anyone done a comparison, as yet, on these two?

Of course, at a little over TWICE the price, one would expect, not surprisingly, the UVHD+ to have a bit of an edge. The 8x32 UVHD+ is a bit legendary.

I know that I love the UVHD+ 8x32, for the delicious color-quality view, the razor sharpness, the fine quality of materials, and great workmanship.

That said, I've read there that Nikon has taken a page from Leica's book in terms of rich coloration and saturation, and may offer even nicer focuser and quickness of focus?

Are there any forumites here, who may be well-familiar with comparing the Nikon 8x30 HG with the Leica 8x32 UVHD+?

The 8x30/32 format is one in which I am especially interested in. So, to find one with similar optical qualities to the UVHD+ 8x32, at a lower price, would be of special interest. Does it exist? Or, are a few some compromises (not surprising) to be expected?

I have compare these two. It is kind of like comparing a Swarovski CL 8x30 to a Swarovski EL 8x32 or NL 8x32. There is no comparison, really. The UVHD+8x32 is superior to the Nikon 8x30 HG optically and build quality wise as would be expected at twice the price. The UVHD+ 8x32 has much sharper edges, better contrast, better color saturation, brighter in low light and handles glare much better than the HG 8x30. I find there is a big difference generally in the performance of an 8x30 versus an 8x32, especially, in ease of eye placement. More than you would expect from the small increase in aperture.

Last edited:
I did a brief comparison last year

Both binoculars have saturated colors, but overall I prefer the color tones in the Uvid+. I’ve also previously owned the 7x42 Uvid HD+ for about 4 years, so I’m familiar with the color presentation in the Uvid+. The MHG has a touch more yellow to my eyes. When not comparing the HG with other bins you shouldn’t notice this too much. It just looks contrasty and slightly warm overall.

The large sweet spot and wide true FOV along with sufficient eye relief makes the view in the MHG 8x30 more immersive IMO compared to Uvid 8x32. It’s easier viewing with and even without eyeglasses IMO.
The focus action on the HG is really nice.
Build quality, design of the Leica is better. It’s more luxurious.
Keep in mind the Nikon is half the price and not meant to compete with premium Leica bins and you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the overall performance of the little Monarch HG. It really is very small.

I have compare these two. It is kind of like comparing a Swarovski CL 8x30 to a Swarovski EL 8x32 or NL 8x32. There is no comparison, really. The UVHD+8x32 is superior to the Nikon 8x30 HG optically and build quality wise as would be expected at twice the price. The UVHD+ 8x32 has much sharper edges, better contrast, better color saturation, brighter in low light and handles glare much better than the HG 8x30. I find there is a big difference generally in the performance of an 8x30 versus an 8x32, especially, in ease of eye placement. More than you would expect from the small increase in aperture.

More than 5% 😏🤭

merry Christmas

Thanks to all for the input. I can appreciate that the 8x30 HGs would be quite enjoyable to have and use. Already having the 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+ bins (which I love, obviously) it probably wouldn't make very much sense to add the HGs to my stable - perhaps as a lower-cost glass to keep in the "away-vehicle", though?

Thanks to all for the input. I can appreciate that the 8x30 HGs would be quite enjoyable to have and use. Already having the 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+ bins (which I love, obviously) it probably wouldn't make very much sense to add the HGs to my stable - perhaps as a lower-cost glass to keep in the "away-vehicle", though?
Yeah it’s a nice optic, but if I had the UVHD’s first I’d never have bought them. For an away vehicle I have a few less expensive options , but if money is no object Id throw a Swaro in the trunk. Unless of course it’s gets over 100 degrees 😏.

I have a a bausch & Lomb 9x35 discoverer in one trunk, a Zeiss 10x50 Jenopten in another vehicle. Both nice glass for the few hundred dollars.

i’m working on the homemade baklava right now. No keto this week. 🙄

merry Christmas

Yeah it’s a nice optic, but if I had the UVHD’s first I’d never have bought them. For an away vehicle I have a few less expensive options , but if money is no object Id throw a Swaro in the trunk. Unless of course it’s gets over 100 degrees 😏.

I have a a bausch & Lomb 9x35 discoverer in one trunk, a Zeiss 10x50 Jenopten in another vehicle. Both nice glass for the few hundred dollars.

i’m working on the homemade baklava right now. No keto this week. 🙄

merry Christmas
Oh man... I love baklava. Haven't had any in years, though. Pastry, nuts, honey...yum! Many layers of goodness.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that I had the Nikon and Leica in my possession though not at the same time. Not the same class. One was scrumptious, the other was not.

I have a Monarch 7 8x30 (old one, not the Monarch M7), and a MHG 8x30. I find the 7 quite usable as a lower-priced, lightweight pair that I'll happily take to places I wouldn't take expensive glass. I've never really been impressed with the MHG, however. It's probably a bit better optically than the 7, but I find it more finnickity in use (occasional kidney black-outs when scanning), and it doesn't really bring me much joy. Following all the gushing on this forum, and finding a good price from a UK retailer, I now have a pair of 8x32 UVHD+ on the way to the US, which will likely replace the MHG. The Monarch 7 will still be used when I just want to throw a lightweight pair into a bag without having to worry about them.

I have a Monarch 7 8x30 (old one, not the Monarch M7), and a MHG 8x30. I find the 7 quite usable as a lower-priced, lightweight pair that I'll happily take to places I wouldn't take expensive glass. I've never really been impressed with the MHG, however. It's probably a bit better optically than the 7, but I find it more finnickity in use (occasional kidney black-outs when scanning), and it doesn't really bring me much joy. Following all the gushing on this forum, and finding a good price from a UK retailer, I now have a pair of 8x32 UVHD+ on the way to the US, which will likely replace the MHG. The Monarch 7 will still be used when I just want to throw a lightweight pair into a bag without having to worry about them.
Hi Brummie

I’m sure your going to love the Leica’s, they are re fantastic binoculars. Have you considered the eye relief on the UVHD+? It is less than the MHG. There are a lot of people here , myself included gush a lot about the MHG’s. Can you clarify what you meant about an old M7, not the Monarch M7, I lost you there. Are there two different models. I had the Monarch7, which I sold and bought the MHG in 8x42.

Paul

Hi Brummie

I’m sure your going to love the Leica’s, they are re fantastic binoculars. Have you considered the eye relief on the UVHD+? It is less than the MHG. There are a lot of people here , myself included gush a lot about the MHG’s. Can you clarify what you meant about an old M7, not the Monarch M7, I lost you there. Are there two different models. I had the Monarch7, which I sold and bought the MHG in 8x42.

Paul
AFAIK, Nikon have just updated the Monarch 7 and the new version is called the Monarch M7. Which is confusing as lots of people referred to the old one just as M7.

I don't wear glasses when glassing, so I'm not too concerned about eye relief, but I'll know more when I get them.

Hi Brummie

Paul
AFAIK, Nikon have just updated the Monarch 7 and the new version is called the Monarch M7. Which is confusing as lots of people referred to the old one just as M7.

I don't wear glasses when glassing, so I'm not too concerned about eye relief, but I'll know more when I get them.
Interesting, I didn’t know that about the Nikons. Thank you. Only reason I mentioned the ER was because you had said, you had issues with eye position and some kidney beaning with the MHG. The UVHD are not the most friendly when it comes to the eye box, not terrible, but there are a lot better binoculars that have more comfortable eye box. I have no problem with them , but I do have to position my eyes just right to get a comfortable view.

Paul
I would like to add that the UVHD+ is the biggest performing 32mm in the smallest package available. They are simply astounding and the best performers in their form factor.

Interesting, I didn’t know that about the Nikons. Thank you. Only reason I mentioned the ER was because you had said, you had issues with eye position and some kidney beaning with the MHG. The UVHD are not the most friendly when it comes to the eye box, not terrible, but there are a lot better binoculars that have more comfortable eye box. I have no problem with them , but I do have to position my eyes just right to get a comfortable view.

Paul
I would like to add that the UVHD+ is the biggest performing 32mm in the smallest package available. They are simply astounding and the best performers in their form factor.
I had trouble with eye positioning on the UVHD 8x32 also. It is just that smaller 4 mm exit pupil. I tried a UVHD 8x42, and it is much easier for eye placement.

Only reason I mentioned the ER was because you had said, you had issues with eye position and some kidney beaning with the MHG. The UVHD are not the most friendly when it comes to the eye box, not terrible, but there are a lot better binoculars that have more comfortable eye box.
I've seen that mentioned, but thought I'd give them a go anyway.

My primary 32mm bins are a pair of SF 10x32. I wanted a good, but compact / lightweight 8x32 as well. I thought the MHG might be the solution, but I've never warmed to them. Perhaps the eye placement issues would have gotten easier if I'd used them more. Decided to bite the bullet and see how it goes with the UVHD+ instead.

My primary 32mm bins are a pair of SF 10x32. I wanted a good, but compact / lightweight 8x32 as well. I thought the MHG might be the solution, but I've never warmed to them. Perhaps the eye placement issues would have gotten easier if I'd used them more. Decided to bite the bullet and see how it goes with the UVHD+ instead.
Oh definitely try them, and you’ll most likely be keeping them, good choice. The MHG were not your cup of tea if you didn’t fall in love with them From the start

Nice combo as well , a great wide FOV 1032 in the SF and the Ultrvids are a fantastic small compact 8x32. The eye box thing is not as bad than blackout/kidneybean issues are some binos. I have the 832 SF, and love it. But I just grab for the Ultravids. I’m much more of an 8x guy. I havant warmed to most 10x’s especially 32’s. That could also change. I wind up taking my 10nl or gpo with two to three 8’s and never take the 10’s out of the bag.

Delic

I had trouble with eye positioning on the UVHD 8x32 also. It is just that smaller 4 mm exit pupil. I tried a UVHD 8x42, and it is much easier for eye placement.
I think the exit pupal is part of it but also contributing are the smaller oculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back