• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x42 EDG, ships from Japan, CAD 2,747.78 - Expensive? (1 Viewer)

Ted,

Someone with more expertise may respond. In the meantime, I can't open the link but based on the price assume it's a "new old stock" EDG II which unfortunately is now discontinued and there is no new(er) generation of the EDG line nor does an updated version appear to be in Nikon's plans.

In addition to the "sold in Japan" problem with the warranty, Nikon's after market customer service receives mixed reviews especially when it comes to discontinued models. I have the 7x42 and 10x32 EDG II and love both but would hesitate to pay USD 2000+ today for either given the warranty problem.

That said, IMO and based on my experience the EDG II is a fantastic performer and "every human endeavor involves a particle of risk".

Mike

I tend to agree with Mike. As a fan of the Nikon EDG, I'm betting it is NOS (new old stock) as there's no such thing as a "new generation" of this discontinued product line.

Case in point . . . I recently (12/21) sent my 7x42 EDG (single hinge) to NikonUSA for service. The floating diopter was bothering me, and the hinge tension was practically nonexistent. I couldn't hold the binocular with one hand without the opposing barrel falling into my fingers and pinching them. LOL!

Anyway . . . NikonUSA called me a week later and inquired about offering me store credit. They no longer had the spare parts to repair my binoculars, and did not want to return them to me in their current condition. Hell, I took the deal . . .

I would personally recommend that you keep shopping.

Cheers

Last edited:
The after market customer service is very important for me and it is a pass / no pass filter. I will keep shopping.
Optically the EDG binos are excellent (I owned four very good 8x32's----Swaro SV, Zeiss FL, Nikon SE and Nikon EDG---and optically the EDG was my favorite) but they also have several issues:
-the armor can become loose and crack
-they can have a drifting diopter
-the focuser has been praised by many, but I opened a couple of EDG focus mechanisms and I was not impressed (a couple of plastic clog wheels moving in a lot of grease).
-the hinge can become very loose
-as mentioned in some previous posts the EDG line has been discontinued, and Nikon won't service these binos any longer
-Nikon warranty is not transferable, so a used EDG might not be easy to sell (an EDG 8x42 recently sold on the BF for 850$)

Last edited:
I would agree with the sales issue Peter; they never were popular here in the US - I rarely seem them out and about. My samples are mint, and have had no problems, still enjoy viewing with them.

. . .
-the focuser has been praised by many, but I opened a couple of EDG focus mechanisms and I was not impressed (a couple of plastic clog wheels moving in a lot of grease).
. . .

So it seems that most of Nikon’s published images showing the internal construction of the high-end EDG and HG models may be misleading:
• not only in terms of the optics;
• but also the focuser mechanism!
See the images at: Optical Construction of HG/ LX and EDG Binoculars

The EDG and HG models are shown as using the same pattern of focus mechanism with what appears to be metal parts and without obvious lubrication.

The implication is a grease free internal focus mechanism, as is used on most other high-end offerings (though in relation to the Ultravid HD’s, Leica uses the careful qualifications of 'practically without any lubricants' and 'almost no lubrication', see post #43 at: Wish List... )

Looking more closely at one of the HG images that I'd posted, it does show grease marks on the normally enclosed axle. So I’ve posted a lightened version to make the marks more obvious *

John

* I’d originally assumed that it was an image from Nikon, as it was in an advert along with a stock image. But that’s likely not the case as I’ve not seen the image elsewhere. The site it’s from binoo.be no longer seems to be in operation.
In contrast, a Nikon stock image of the HGL version shows the enclosed axle as grease free (see the first link above).

And a ghost image showing more fully the focus mechanism on the HGL . . .

Attachments

• Nikon HG - lightened.jpg
    Nikon HG - lightened.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 72
  • HGL focus mechanism.jpg
    HGL focus mechanism.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I now observed how an achieved glass is thrown to the gutter by many (this is not geared to you Peter or John) - (the FL, EDG, HGL, etc.) who only think that newer is better - and there are those who hate the Japanese glass from old wounds - what ever. It would not surprise me that there are cheap plastic parts in the internal focusing mechanism of a Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss made today.
Frankly IMO, I feel that today Leica and secondly Swarovski are the best built (fit and finish) glass of the big three by far.

Last edited:
I now observed how an achieved glass is thrown to the gutter by many
I think we do not have equal information about the competing models. Cars can have equal evaluations (same parts compared with same parts). Therefore, when one knows a model have plastic parts and knows nothing about same parts in a model competitor, what one can think?
Especially if the plastic is associated with low quality.

"Therefore, when one knows a model have plastic parts and knows nothing about same parts in a model competitor, what one can think?"
What are you implying?

The EDG and HG models are shown as using the same pattern of focus mechanism with what appears to be metal parts and without obvious lubrication.

The implication is a grease free internal focus mechanism, as is used on most other high-end offerings (though in relation to the Ultravid HD’s, Leica uses the careful qualifications of 'practically without any lubricants' and 'almost no lubrication', see post #43 at: Wish List... )

Hi,

the cutaway photo in post 9 shows a brass nut on a threaded bolt made from what looks like yellow plastic to me. The drawing is a bit ambiguous in that regard. Did Nikon state anywhere that they are using an all metal focus drive?

As for grease, I beg to disagree - if I create a cutaway drawing or actual photo to illustrate the mechanics I would not show things covered in grease, but that's me. Again, did Nikon state anywhere that they were not using grease?

The important thing is that Nikon focus drives work exceptionally smooth and I have not heard about common breakage either.
Also the grease seems to not degrade quickly - I tried a completely battered example of Venturer LX 8x42 from the last century a few years ago which belonged to the owner of an estancia in the Esteros del Ibera... the focus drive and optics were still fine - unlike about everything else...

As for how well the metal on metal with no or almost no lubricant focus drives of the other alphas work, we just need to look into their subforums...

Joachim

I have a relatively new pair of 8x42 Nikon EDG binoculars. Recently, I lost the rubber eyepiece cap while I was birding. I retraced my steps and was lucky enough to find it. I have contacted Nikon to try to get information about how to reattach it, but their answers have not been to the point.

They have told me that they don't send out this part, which is not what I asked them to do. They told me that I have to send it in for repair.but they could tell me whether they actually have the part in stock for these, now, discontinued binoculars. I know that they are generous with vouchers for other equipment when they cannot make a repair, but I do not want that. So, I do not want to send these for repair only to learn that I have had the expense of shipping and insurance only to end up with them sent back to me as they are.

See the attached photo.

This should be an easy fix. I would appreciate any advice about how to reattach them. What kind of adhesive, if any, should I use.

Attachments

• Nikon EDG 8x42.jpg
    Nikon EDG 8x42.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
I would use rubber cement, just a couple of dabs on the rubber and matching dabs on the metal rim. Make sure to line up cement areas which will make contact with each other. After applying the cement to rubber and metal rim of the ocular, let the adhesive sit for about 10 minutes, then insert rubber to ocular rim.

I would use rubber cement, just a couple of dabs on the rubber and matching dabs on the metal rim. Make sure to line up cement areas which will make contact with each other. After applying the cement to rubber and metal rim of the ocular, let the adhesive sit for about 10 minutes, then insert rubber to ocular rim.
Thanks
I will try your method. I love my NIkon EDG binoculars. I would not want to trade them for some other Nikon product.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back