• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x42 EDG, ships from Japan, CAD 2,747.78 - Expensive? (1 Viewer)

I bought my 8x42 EDG binoculars last October from a seller in Canada. They cost $1728 USD, and carries a North American warranty. It clearly says "Made in Japan" on the focus knob. This vendor no longer offers this model on its website.

I love these binoculars. I have always been partial toward Nikon optical quality and ergonomics.

The warranty on these binoculars is one year for any reason and 25 years or more if the purchaser is not at fault in causing the problem. I saw the warranty language recently, but I have forgotten the exact terms. The no-fault warranty is possibly a lifetime one. Unfortunately, since this model has been discontinued, Nikon may be unable to repair them. In that case, they will offer to replace them with another sports optic or camera sold on their website and offer a voucher to that effect for a very generous amount.

I already have a Nikon camera that I got on those terms when a very old pair of Nikon Monarchs developed a problem that they could not fix, but, as I have said previously, I do not want to replace the 8x42 EDG with anything as long as it is not completely unusable.

So Nikon are still making EDG’s and they are still made in Japan. I redacted most of the message , so no reference to a person or a ticket number to protect the innocent.

Subject: Nikon EDG binoculars
Hello Paul,

Thank you for contacting Nikon Support.
Yes, we can confirm that the EDG 10x42 binoculars are available on our website and are still manufactured in Japan

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer Support

It turned out that the rubber cement did not keep the rubber eye caps from falling off. After two tries, I used few drops of a super glue gel. I have used the binoculars several time since then without any problem.

I hope this information is useful to anyone else having a problem with the rubber eye cup caps.

Happy birding, everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back