• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon Aculon Hinge Tension Adjustment (1 Viewer)

habitforming

Hi everyone - new to the forum and I'm looking for some help with adjusting the hinge tension on my Nikon Aculon A211 bino's. Last night while viewing the NEOWISE comet, my binoculars on a tripod were knocked over onto concrete. Thankfully no major damage, but now the hinge is so loose they will not hold position.

Reading up some posts here and also looking at youtube videos it seems like this is typically a simple adjustment, however I don't have an adjustable nut under the cover on the objective end of the hinge as most other binos appear to have. I am hoping there is some other method by which these can be adjusted, as they are mostly useless at this point otherwise.

I'm comfortable working on most all things large and small, and have a wide variety of tools at hand - I just cannot figure out how to attack it. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Binastro

Hi habitforming and welcome.

I don't know how to adjust the hinge but I feel your pain.

Photographing comet Kohoutek in 1973 on a tripod from an upstairs window, the camera and tripod fell 16ft on to concrete.
The top housing and prism on my new Minolta were smashed. Took a year to fix, but I just bought another new Minolta.
A lesson well learned though for me.

But not learned well enough as I also smashed the prism on a 10x70 Ross monocular slipping on ice on granite.

I have seen dozens of comets but not Neowise as it has been hidden by cloud, buildings and trees in my lockdown.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread