• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D810 (1 Viewer)

Those are MEGGA shots Neil. Could I be cheeky and ask you your in camera settings. You can PM me if you like, no worries if you don't want to share them. Neil.

There is nothing secret about setting up the D810.
I have 21 focus points selected in Continuous AF Mode.
Manual Exposure Mode and iso set to keep Shutter speeds around 1/2000th second.
I like to hand hold to be able to get on the birds faster.
Neil.

Not worked out great for me so far.

It's slow (5fps) and takes twice as long to process images thanks to Nikon's decision not to support this camera with their own software - Capture NX2. Ultimately I was taking better shots with the D300s last year (not saying the D300 is better image wise but good fortune is better than camera spec).

Also I've had a particularly annoying problem with the camera's autofocus defaulting from AF-C back to AF-S with a card error. Didn't spot this immediately, and this lead to hundreds of soft images of Harlequin duck, and Ptarmigan, which hardly endeared me to this camera. Has happened again since (cause unknown). Can't trust this camera like I could with the D300s and the D3.

It's slow (5fps) and takes twice as long to process images thanks to Nikon's decision not to support this camera with their own software - Capture NX2. Ultimately I was taking better shots with the D300s last year (not saying the D300 is better image wise but good fortune is better than camera spec).

Also I've had a particularly annoying problem with the camera's autofocus defaulting from AF-C back to AF-S with a card error. Didn't spot this immediately, and this lead to hundreds of soft images of Harlequin duck, and Ptarmigan, which hardly endeared me to this camera. Has happened again since (cause unknown). Can't trust this camera like I could with the D300s and the D3.

Sorry to hear of your problems with the D810. Mine works flawlessly and rarely misses a shot. Just like Duke Leto's. I haven't come across the problem you described in your second paragraph. You must have a broken camera. get it replaced or put right. It operates way better than a D300s.

Sorry to hear you've had problems.
The external battery pack for the D810 will have you a boost in speed to 6fps and the extra weight seems to give the camera a lot more support.
Nikon Capture NX D and Picture Control Utility 2 will read the NEF files from the D810.
This camera is a big improvement over the D800.
Neil.

Dale Photographic have it for sale at £1,845, non grey, UK version. Was £2,700 at one time.

Makes you wonder if it's on the way out? I was told Nikon was going to try to keep up the pixel count with the Canon 5DS in the summer.

Edit; Down again today to £1,799 Digital Depot.

Last edited:
Same one as I use Brin. I had a 180 sigma but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the 200 micro.

That is great lens the only thing you want to think about is will you need stabilizing for the way you want to work,if not then its probably the best bet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back