• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon E2s (1 Viewer)

steverowe

I've just bought a pair of Nikon E2 8x30 bins here in Saudi Arabia. I'm new to birding so I don't know much about optics. There isn't much choice in Saudi but I think I got the E2s for a good price, around £140. The cheapest I've seen then in UK online stores is £249. Mind you, although they are obviously new, they didn't come with a strap or a case. And the warranty is for a year worldwide...not 25 years.

I'm really lusting after a top scope ...one of the big three with a 20-60 zoom. All the birding books/web-sites reccommend that you spend most money of your money on bins. My question is, do you experts think that the E2s are good enough for general birding use? I can't really try them out here. The security situation is not very good at the moment. Anybody wandering around with binoculars is liable to get arrested. The Saudi authorities are very touchy.

So although the birding is probably excellent here. It's not really advisible for the time being.

Actually, my statement about not being able to try my E2s out here was a load of rubbish. It's early in the morning now 06:00am and just looking out of my back window for 10 minutes I've seen 3 rose-ringed parakeets, rock doves that live on a water-tower just behind my house, african collared doves, a common myna and a white cheeked bulbul, and a sparrow.

Several reviews I have read - including in the BBC Wildlife magazine - indicate that optically they are on a par with the Leica 8x32 BN if not better. However they are less robust and have fiddly rubber eye tubes.

As I mentioned in my post, I don't really know a good pair from a mediocre one but I was very impressed with the images I was getting this morning. It's been a very bright and sunny day however, as most are in Saudi :).

I don't know what they'd be like in grey British light.

Yes I think they are available in Canada. They are porroprism type bins similar to but not as good as and cheaper than the Nikon 8x32 SEs

I'll have to check them out. It seems to me that the goal is to see the birds and enjoy what you see. If the binocs give you that, then go for the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back