• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 hand-made adapter: need help! (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
sorry if the question has already been posed in the past, but I can't find a working solution to my problem: I'm in the need to fix my compact camera to my angled spotting scope; I use a 13-40x zoom eyepiece.
I seldom use my kit for digiscoping, therefore I'd prefer a cheap adapter, possibly hand-made, but since my camera (an Olympus TG2) has no protruding zoom I was thinking of a "Platform style" universal adapter.
Any suggestion? Is there anybody out there using a similar kit?
Thank you for any advice you may give
Regards,
Max

Hi Max,

I'm in the need to fix my compact camera to my angled spotting scope; I use a 13-40x zoom eyepiece.
I seldom use my kit for digiscoping, therefore I'd prefer a cheap adapter, possibly hand-made, but since my camera (an Olympus TG2) has no protruding zoom I was thinking of a "Platform style" universal adapter.

Not sure what a "platform style" adapter looks like, but here's a 3D printable part that you could parametrize for the Nikon eyepiece:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2831903

It looks like your camera has a tripod thread on the bottom, a bit off-centre ... probably adding a simple angle to the above eyepiece adapter would allow mounting the camera on the scope.

The TG2 probably is fairly light, I suppose?

Regards,

Henning

Hi again,

It looks like your camera has a tripod thread on the bottom, a bit off-centre ... probably adding a simple angle to the above eyepiece adapter would allow mounting the camera on the scope.

Something like this perhaps:

Parametric Digiscoping Adapter Ring - ED50 to TG2.jpg

Regards,

Henning

Hi Henning,
thank you very much.
Your "simple angle" is what I was referring to with my "platform-style" but I agree you definition is simpler :t:

I was also thinking as an alternative to a step-up ring. I have the Olympus CLA-T01 Conversion Lens Adapter which is a 40.5mm - if I got a step up ring from 40.5mm to, say, 70mm would it work? How deep are these available? It needs to be deep enough to envelop part of the rubber eyepiece ...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back