• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG 7x42 floating diopter question (1 Viewer)

glock24

United States
Hello from MI,

A happy owner of a pair of Nikon EDG 7x42 binoculars here. Mine are the open-bridge design, but I don't know if that's significant in any way.

I'm writing because I have found that my pair seem to exhibit some unintentional drift in the diopter position. In other words, I can set the diopter position to zero (my preference), but after several field trips, I discover it's position has changed.

I'm curious to know if I am doing something wrong in the way I use the focus wheel, or if this is a design flaw. And if it is inherent to the design, would a trip to Nikon's service center be of any help?

Thanks for your time. Any insight would be appreciated.

Hi MI,

the EDG 7x42 is a beautiful glass!

Yes, the same problem with my 8x32 EDG, the diopter compensation is imho a faulty design, especially at warm temperatures or if the pressure at the end of the focus wheel is too strong, it can sometimes turn!
Not a mistake from you, but from the designer.
Send the binoculars to Nikon.

Andreas

Hi MI,

Yes, the same problem with my 8x32 EDG, the diopter compensation is imho a faulty design, especially at warm temperatures or if the pressure at the end of the focus wheel is too strong, it can sometimes turn!

Andreas
I agree with the engineering assessment, but beware of sending it in to Nikon USA. I sent mine in for that problem and bubbling armor, but never got them back. They were to be replaced, but the edg line was discontinued while my bins were there. So, they sent me 8x32s instead as they no 7x42s in stock. Nice bins, but I loved my 7x42s... Caveat sender!

Scott

I agree with the engineering assessment, but beware of sending it in to Nikon USA. I sent mine in for that problem and bubbling armor, but never got them back. They were to be replaced, but the edg line was discontinued while my bins were there. So, they sent me 8x32s instead as they no 7x42s in stock. Nice bins, but I loved my 7x42s... Caveat sender!

Scott
Hi Scott,

I sent my EDG to Service Germany, everything was perfect!

If you send in a 7x42 you should also get a 7x42 back, was there a value adjustment that the 7x42 is more expensive than the 8x32 ?!

Andreas

Hi Scott,

I sent my EDG to Service Germany, everything was perfect!

If you send in a 7x42 you should also get a 7x42 back, was there a value adjustment that the 7x42 is more expensive than the 8x32 ?!

Andreas
Andreas, in the US, the price was the same. Yes, I should have gotten like back, but...

I've moved on to Zeiss.

Scott

Andreas, I bought the SF 8x42s over two years ago. I'm fortunate to have a store here that carries many lines of optics, at many price points. Based on experience with their products (note plural), Swaros were not in consideration, so I iteratively tested Noctivids and the SFs. The SF simply worked best for me.

As it turns out, they worked very well for my wife as well, so she 'absconded' with them. :rolleyes: So, I got her the SF 8x32s recently, and they are spectacular! She loves them, and enjoys birding more then ever, and I get my x42s back. Alles gut!

Scott

Scott you have great binoculars, I have them too!

The Swarovski 8.5x42 suits me a little better, but both binoculars are of course excellent, so it's always a very subjective weighting.

Andreas

Hi MI,

Andreas
Hi MI and Andreas,

The EDG 7x is a beautiful glass. I have read also of the moving dioptre but not yet experienced it myself, but then again my EDG has so far had only light use in recent months. Its freedom from glare is what I like best.

Tom

Hi MI and Andreas,

The EDG 7x is a beautiful glass. I have read also of the moving dioptre but not yet experienced it myself, but then again my EDG has so far had only light use in recent months. Its freedom from glare is what I like best.

Tom
Hi Tom,

as difficult as it is, I am currently offering my EDG 7x42 for sale!

As good as the binoculars are, it will only be a matter of time when Nikon cannot or will no longer repair the EDG.
My 8x32 EDG was well repaired in October, I'll keep that, but of course there is always a sword of Damocles hanging over these binoculars.
Here in Germany, however, it will not be so easy to get rid of an EDG, the EDG are very rarely used here, so the prices are also in the basement here.

Let's see...

Andreas

Update:

Nikon USA confirmed they will attempt a repair of my binoculars, and as long as I state it specifically in writing on the repair form, they will return my exact pair to me regardless of whether or not they can fix my issue.

The first EDGs sold here in the US with the bridge like Swarovski had this problem (floating diopter) more common than the second run of the EDG models. I believe the focus internals were improved in the newer models. I have a few of the later versions and have never had that problem.

Andy W.

To expand on Andy’s post . . .

See a composite image of the EDG v1 (original) and v2 (modified) versions. It uses images from the respective manuals
The modified version has a relatively much longer bridge, which would allow for a simpler focuser and diopter mechanism
And as can be seen from the cutaway images, the focuser mechanisms do clearly differ

In addition, the eyepieces are also different. The eyepiece of the v1 is probably the 7x42 version
The v2 shows the 8x42 eyepiece, as previously identified by markings on other images, see at:
https://www.birdforum.net/threads/optical-construction-of-hg-lx-and-edg-binoculars.385267/

I’ve also attached the specifications from each manual. The modified version shows shows some minor differences to the nominal
physical dimensions and weight. It also shows the correct FOV figures for feet at 1000 yards

John

Attachments

• EDG v1 verses v2 (from manuals).jpg
    EDG v1 verses v2 (from manuals).jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 61
  • EDG v1 (2010 cat) .jpg
    EDG v1 (2010 cat) .jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 59
  • EDG v2 (2011 cat) .jpg
    EDG v2 (2011 cat) .jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 61
  • EDG v1 Specifications.jpg
    EDG v1 Specifications.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 60
  • EDG v2 Specifications.jpg
    EDG v2 Specifications.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Hi Tom,

as difficult as it is, I am currently offering my EDG 7x42 for sale!

As good as the binoculars are, it will only be a matter of time when Nikon cannot or will no longer repair the EDG.
My 8x32 EDG was well repaired in October, I'll keep that, but of course there is always a sword of Damocles hanging over these binoculars.
Here in Germany, however, it will not be so easy to get rid of an EDG, the EDG are very rarely used here, so the prices are also in the basement here.

Let's see...

Andreas
Hi Andreas,

Sorry I'm a bit slow to reply; there's been a lot else to do recently.

I think that the resale and repair situations are much the same here in Britain. Gary Hawkins, the independent official repairer of Zeiss in the UK, warned me a while back that he personally with his experience of working with many makes of binocular, not just Zeiss, wouldn't use EDG for the same reason you mention: repair backup. I have read other posts talking of very good repair experiences but I think they were in the USA.

Regarding resale, interest shown by shops over here varies: I made enquiries just out of interest/curiosity and did get a very good offer not long ago, i.e. not much less than I'd get from the same shop for an Ultravid 7x42 HD Plus, but it is still very low compared with what I had to pay for them new two years ago. They cost about £300 more than a new UVHD Plus; I shouldn't really have bought them, but the handling, focus excellence and lack of glare were very appealing features.

As personal info on the subject of 7x binoculars in general (not just Nikon EDG), I made it my 'thing' over the last 2-3 years to research and try/buy modern 7s, knowing they were becoming a threatened species and being dropped from product lines. My own preference after trying and owning several has slowly been confirmed as the Zeiss 7x42 T*FL. Like all of them it probably has a few drawbacks but the one I have is consistently giving me my best imaging and handling experience of all in the 7x group. Others could reach a different verdict of course. And the one that started this all was a 1990s' 7x42 Dialyt BGAT*P* which despite its age is in excellent repair and adjustment (Gary again) and to my eyes really pretty much every bit as good in use as the FL. Very nicely balanced too.

All the best,

Tom

Last edited:
I own both the Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL* and the Nikon EDG 7x42 which I bought in November 2020, tempted by a very good offer during the last Black Friday (refurbished). I also am worried about the gradual disappearance from the market of the 7x models (I use the 7x since 1993, previously I had had two Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGAT) and this is also why I decided to make this purchase. The Zeiss works fine and serves almost exclusively for my observation-counting sessions of migrating raptors since 2009. I will also try the Nikon EDG in the field next spring: this is covered by a reassuring 10-year warranty from the Nikon Italian importer but I hope I don't need it nor have later problems with the EDGs or with the national repair service.

Last edited:
Hi Andreas,

I think that the resale and repair situations are much the same here in Britain. Gary Hawkins, the independent official repairer of Zeiss in the UK, warned me a while back that he personally with his experience of working with many makes of binocular, not just Zeiss, wouldn't use EDG for the same reason you mention: repair backup. I have read other posts talking of very good repair experiences but I think they were in the USA.
Hi Tom,

my EDG 7x42 is now sold due to the reasons above!

By the way, I had my EDG 8x32 last October at Nikonservice Germany, they did a very good and quick job, the 8x32 I will now be the only EDG to keep.

Now I'm looking for a new 7x42, the FL 7x42 I had before but was simply not "my" glass, so I'm currently looking for an Ultravid 7x42, unfortunately the prices here in Germany for the Ultravids have gone up a lot 7x42 is the same as the Noctivid 8x42, no idea what Leica is thinking ?!
Let's see at some point they might be cheaper again, or a good used Ultravid will be offered ...

Andreas

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back