• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG II: First impressions and comparisons (1 Viewer)

Yes, I knew about your Meopta 6.5x - you have praised it in Bf. more than everyone else on the internet together! Actually, I, too, have found it v. attractive, in my case only as a prospect yet, going by the config., specs. and a few reviews even before yours.

Sorry one thing is not too clear - what is meant there by "the field cachet"?

So the EDG is "inspiring" - ha - the old Leica and Nikon spectrum trick - of which I too am a willing victim! (There may be more to it, of course.) I remember your rendition of this effect - a comparison of L., N., Swarovski and Zeiss? - by image editing, a year or two back.

Field cachet, cachet in the field ... http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cachet

The comparison was with the Fury, the Zeiss FL and the Nikon HG.
The EDG provides a more sober version of the HG's Technicolor-style view.
It appears slightly more bright and brilliant than the Fury but with decidedly more colour contrast than the FL.

Re the boosted EDG colours, it is still very close to perfectly neutral rendition. The boost should provide some correction against distance haze, but not like the Meostar non-HD or original Conquests by just being yellow.

//L

Lars, again a lot of info, thanks! Located your images <here>. They're only for two bins, Zeiss FL and Nikon HG (Premier). I see it's I who have suggested, a bit later in the thread, that you add renditions for Leica and Swaro!

Lars, again a lot of info, thanks! Located your images <here>. They're only for two bins, Zeiss FL and Nikon HG (Premier). I see it's I who have suggested, a bit later in the thread, that you add renditions for Leica and Swaro!

I saw no reason to show a neutral view like the Fury's, so I just tweaked the colours to mimic the FL and the HG. But there were three binoculars.
It's this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=233869

Can't see how to imitate the brilliant view of the EDG, but anybody who used a Sony digicam or smartphone with Bravia engine will know what I'm talking about. The images look considerably better on the device's screen than they do after being transferred to the computer.

//L

I saw no reason to show a neutral view like the Fury's, so I just tweaked the colours to mimic the FL and the HG. But there were three binoculars.
It's this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=233869

Can't see how to imitate the brilliant view of the EDG, but anybody who used a Sony digicam or smartphone with Bravia engine will know what I'm talking about. The images look considerably better on the device's screen than they do after being transferred to the computer.

//L

Here's another way of looking at the difference:

Attachments

• Nikon 8x42 EDG II light transmission curve - allbinos.jpg
    Nikon 8x42 EDG II light transmission curve - allbinos.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 24609_zeiss_victory_tr.jpg
    24609_zeiss_victory_tr.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 192
Thought I would add some observations concerning 7x42 edg II which I have been using for a few weeks. Purchased them after trying higher power bins for several years all of which ended up on EBAY. Thought more power would help older eyes, turned out not to be right. My observation concerning the Nikon 7x42:

1. Hinge separating the two optical barrels should be tighter. It is too smooth which I do not find reassuring. I don't want to worry about this changing should I be holding them by one barrel while I am looking around with my eyes-something I do.

2. I have to use O-rings to set the eye-cups at proper distance.

3. Balance is great- feel great in hand. Very personal observation, others should try.

4. Optic are excellent, sharp with good contrast.

A little update.

Having used the EDG II 7x42 for hours of real birding, I'm extremely happy with the view. It is extremely relaxed and rock steady.
So far, there has been no occasion where I have felt underpowered, and I'm talking distances exceeding 3 kilometers.
The brightness, contrast, true and brilliant colour rendition, the very good edge sharpness ... did I mention how bright it is? ... are truly exceptional.
There is some minor lateral CA, not less than my E II and not so different from my Meostar 8x32. But that one has the yellow hue to mask some purple fringing.

By coincidence I met a birder who was carrying an 8x56 FL and we agreed to swap for a while. Let me put it this way: I was happy to have my EDG back.
The crisp colours and the edge sharpness of the EDG were not there with the FL even with the farthest stretch of the imagination.

There are issues with the ergonomics and the mechanical details.
The eye relief is excessive and I'll have to get a couple of O-rings or maybe cable ties to prevent the eyecups from going too far south.
The central hinge could have been a bit tighter and the focus knob has a habit of being tight in the start, unless it wasn't just recently moved.

Finally, I don't cope with the strap/rainguard arrangement and the objective covers.
If I fix the first, I can probably live with the latter. As it is now, I'm losing speed when it's fractions of a second that count. Not like the Fury.

//L

Last edited:
Wonder if Nikon Service could adjust central hinge tension?

You might be able to do it yourself with a "pin wrench" or a small spanner wrench. Tightening is usually done by adjusting the hinge from the front at the tripod mount.

Unscrew the blind cap covering the threaded hole where the Tripod Mount goes. Around the outside you will see a series of small holes. If I remember correctly on the EDG one of them has a small set screw in it that needs to be loosened first in order to turn the assembly to tighten the hinge. You do the tightening with the pin wrench or the spanner wrench.

Many other binoculars just had a slot across the assembly and you could use a regular screw driver to tighten it.

Bob

Last edited:
Having used the EDG at a number of outings I hereby confirm that this is a truly superb binocular. The brightness, sharpness and high contrast enables finding and identifying birds from far away.
BF member Stanbo kindly offered custom made spacers for the eyecups which have simplified the handling considerably. Thanks again Stan! :t:

At the moment I'm tempted to buy an unused EDG II 10x42 priced £850 or a Nikon SE 12x50 in very good condition for £350 (or both! :eek!:)
But then I recall the superior usability of the 7x42 that never made me feel underpowered regardless of the distance.

//L

Having used the EDG at a number of outings I hereby confirm that this is a truly superb binocular. The brightness, sharpness and high contrast enables finding and identifying birds from far away.
BF member Stanbo kindly offered custom made spacers for the eyecups which have simplified the handling considerably. Thanks again Stan! :t:

At the moment I'm tempted to buy an unused EDG II 10x42 priced £850 or a Nikon SE 12x50 in very good condition for £350 (or both! :eek!:)
But then I recall the superior usability of the 7x42 that never made me feel underpowered regardless of the distance.

//L

L,

Could you throw in a picture of that spacer?
Thanks,

Jan

Did your focus nob ever loosen up? I just purchased a refurbished 7x42 EDG, and similar to what you described the focus wheel is tight initially, but then seems to be more freely after a few minutes of use. I did not have this problem with the 10x42 EDG.

Did your focus nob ever loosen up? I just purchased a refurbished 7x42 EDG, and similar to what you described the focus wheel is tight initially, but then seems to be more freely after a few minutes of use. I did not have this problem with the 10x42 EDG.

The focuser is still tight after being unused for a day or so. But it does not take minutes to loosen up, only a couple of turns with the knob.

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back