• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon FF (and DX) Mirrorless rumours/ announcements (7 Viewers)

Z7 II and Z6 II countdown to Oct 14 announcement

Looks like the need to bring dollars through the door outweighs getting the elephant-like gestation of the Z8 developed, born and launched.

I wonder what incremental tinkering Nikon will present us with ..... ? :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Interview: Keiji Oishi of Nikon – "It’s time to get excited"

Interesting interview with some Imaging Department Managers regarding the Z system, and the impacts of COVID.

Very tight-lipped on any high end Z8 and Z9 models, and any lightweight highest quality fast long super telephoto lenses .....

Very interesting snippets about the high end lens design the Z mount allows at the wider end.

https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/3679521489/nikon-interview-its-time-to-get-excited

Rumoured Z9 Specs 2021

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/10/06/...kon-z9-mirrorless-camera-specifications.aspx/

According to this rumour it is likely to appear before any Z8 (for which there are crickets ?)

Rather confusingly the 20fps Z9 resolution is said to be 46MP - putting it at Canon R5 level ....

It's meant to be the Bees Knees, with object detection AF, and a blackout-free EVF.

Nothing like the Mirrorless Canon Super Telephoto Lens lineup is predicted ..... maybe a 400FL f2.8 first, in time for the delayed Olympics.

Nikon Z7 II ...... a Z8 by any other name ?

I have found it very strange that the Z8 was (according to the rumour mill) all set to be the next development announcement, and then virtually vanished off the radar. Strange because the same sensor used in the Sony ar7 IV was all ready to go - and then COVID hit.

Nikon seemed to pivot to the mid -> entry market, rather than the planned mid -> high end market.

Now comes this 'wishlist' for the Z6 and Z7 Mark II published on DPReview, suggesting a high resolution ~60MP sensor upgrade. I'm posting this because DPR has been pretty accurate over the last year or two - often I suspect, having prior official information, but subject to NDA's.

I wonder how accurate or otherwise that high resolution Z7 II wish is ? Putting the highest resolution 9Million Dot EVF, upgraded processing and framerate, battery capacity, and improved AF tracking and UX - would make it the virtual Z8 :cat:

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/626...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

I suppose we find out later this week .......

Nikon Mk II Z6 & Z7 announced

Well, incremental is one way to describe them ......
Nikon has not tried to outdo the new Canon R5 (leaving it's powder dry for the true Z8 ??) , but instead repositioned to what must be the best value MILC's in their market segments. Less than $2K and $3K - bravo !

Any wishes for a Z8 by any other name was all just a big fat nothing - well played DPR, well played ..... ! ;)

The big news is 2x Expeed 6 processors.
Internet keyboard warriors get their 2 card slots, though they're different types - I would have preferred to see 2x CFexpress to minimize types.
Improvements to frame rates and AF.
No increase to the EVF resolution which I think puts them at odds with the market. It's also no great incentive for Z6 & Z7 owners to upgrade .....

Plenty of space then for a full bells and whistles market leading Z8 at some stage .....

https://m.dpreview.com/news/9554068...t-dual-processors-and-gain-a-second-card-slot

Z8 and Z8S (Z9 /Z1 or whatever it will be called) ...... will we see them in 2021 ??

While I believe DPReview still has the jump on the inside running for announced product, when it comes to longer term crystal ball gazing, they're in the same speculating /wishful thinking boat as the rest of us.

Editor Barney Britton jots down his wishlist, and speculates that Nikon may want these out for the Olympics (currently delayed to 2021)

https://m.dpreview.com/opinion/5602...l-us-about-future-pro-nikon-mirrorless-models

I'd also like to see cutting edge EVF'S which means 9.4 Million Dots plus .....

Chosun wrote
I'd also like to see cutting edge EVF'S which means 9.4 Million Dots plus .....

Are you sure that is the most important quality measure of an EVF? to my mind, it is more important to have an EVF that updates really fast (200-400 times per second) to get a truly delay-free image. Whether that display is 3, 5, 7, or 9 million dots? I am not sure that our eyes have that good a resolution at the size involved.

Niels

Chosun wrote

Are you sure that is the most important quality measure of an EVF? to my mind, it is more important to have an EVF that updates really fast (200-400 times per second) to get a truly delay-free image. Whether that display is 3, 5, 7, or 9 million dots? I am not sure that our eyes have that good a resolution at the size involved.

Niels

Well I was just being a bit brief Niels.

To my way of thinking I just take it as read that it should display it's maximum resolution at 120 times per second or better. Sorry I should have been more specific.

A lag free high resolution EVF view without blackouts, and an electronic shutter that can operate at high speed (10fps+) without rolling shutter effects remains a bit of a holy grail.

It's the case that we don't know how good this can be until we actually see it.

I don't know if you recall when this thread kicked off, that leading EVF displays were one of the core performance areas that Nikon was targeting.

Nikon really needs to step up and clearly lead in this area - that means resolution, lag times, refresh rates, and contrast, colour science, and power efficiency - all together. :t:

Well I was just being a bit brief Niels.

To my way of thinking I just take it as read that it should display it's maximum resolution at 120 times per second or better. Sorry I should have been more specific.

A lag free high resolution EVF view without blackouts, and an electronic shutter that can operate at high speed (10fps+) without rolling shutter effects remains a bit of a holy grail.

It's the case that we don't know how good this can be until we actually see it.

I don't know if you recall when this thread kicked off, that leading EVF displays were one of the core performance areas that Nikon was targeting.

Nikon really needs to step up and clearly lead in this area - that means resolution, lag times, refresh rates, and contrast, colour science, and power efficiency - all together. :t:

No problem. I had to look up the refresh rate of the m4/3 cameras, and the top range (from both brands) meet (but does not exceed) the 120 Hz standard. The full frame S1 has the same 120 Hz in a 5.7 million dots resolution.

Niels

Niels

There's been plenty of news from Nikon this year - market and profit downgrades, and then some better than forecast performances and recovery.

They continue to grind on fleshing out the mirrorless lens range, and have brought out second gen Z6 and Z7.

The rumoured Z8 is still on the way, and in F-mount land, so is the expected D880, and the D580 (or whatever it will be called). Some of these were rumoured for 2021 ? No sign of the PF 600 f5.6 either, nor even whispers .....

However the biggest news (possibly in the company's history ?) is the reported cessation of mass production at the Japanese Sendai factory ! with all that work being moved to Thailand. This is a monumental move for a Japanese company and it's employees.

The amount of work involved in this move, doesn't fill me with confidence at promptly seeing those predicted products - hopefully they're all but ready to go before the move .....

Chosun πŸ™†

Last edited:
There's been plenty of news from Nikon this year - market and profit downgrades, and then some better than forecast performances and recovery.

They continue to grind on fleshing out the mirrorless lens range, and have brought out second gen Z6 and Z7.

The rumoured Z8 is still on the way, and in F-mount land, so is the expected D880, and the D580 (or whatever it will be called). Some of these were rumoured for 2021 ? No sign of the PF 600 f5.6 either, nor even whispers .....

However the biggest news (possibly in the company's history ?) is the reported cessation of mass production at the Japanese Sendai factory ! with all that work being moved to Thailand. This is a monumental move for a Japanese company and it's employees.

The amount of work involved in this move, doesn't fill me with confidence at promptly seeing those predicted products - hopefully they're all but ready to go before the move .....

Chosun πŸ™†
I'd be more optimistic about this, Nikon is sort of the technology leader for the Mitsubishi group, they will not lightly give that up for a trifling billion dollars or so.
That said, there needs to be a Plan B for Nikon, because cameras and semiconductor lithography were their mainstays afaik, but both are now hurting.
My thought is that the camera production goes to Thailand, the lithography operations go to China, Japan remains the technology hub for the time being,
while the investments shift to something else, maybe materials science.

Curiouser and curiouser ..... 😺

Maybe Nikon is getting fair dinkum about leading the camera world again ....

They have the platform with the Z mount, but really need to nail the gestating 400 f2.8 and 600 f4 as the clear lightweight, compact, AF speed, and quality, market leaders for folks that will stick them on this Z9 under development. They need to cater to mere mortals too with a 61MP Z8 (9.44M dot EVF please) and a Z mount PF 600 f5.6 ......

It looks like Canon just stuck permanent extenders on their EF MkIII's to do the R mount job. Having that native mirrorless mount and the new R5 puts them a step ahead of Nikon. Sony with the current lightest weight native mirrorless supertelephoto primes, and the superb a1 is even further in the lead.

Short of major major reinvestment, I can't see Nikon Lithography competing - let's hope they can design a step ahead state of the art, Tower fabbed sensor.

Such a move could make sense in getting them out from under the Sony thumb, freeing them of:-
i) inherent conflict of interest with a major competitor holding all the strategic market chips, perhaps even locked out of the very best tech for many years,
ii) supply constraints and relegation to the bottom of the sensor supply pecking order,
iii) the need to make unfavorably large quantity agreements before accessing the next gen tech.
iv) disadvantageous competitor supply mark ups.

I still think they need to pump out a D550, D850 ii, and D880/Z8 Pronto to fill the profit coffers again. (include the D780 Phase Detect on chip tech, and grab that AF toggle from the Canon 1DX MkIII - gawd how many 'problems' would that solve !)

It will be interesting to see how the Z9 compares with the Sony a1, and interesting too, to see what the Canon R3 is all about, where it fits in, and how it competes .....

Chosun πŸ‘§

Nikon 2021 Fiscal Year Financial Report.

Makes for very interesting reading .... !

Chosun πŸ™†

An interesting tech exposΓ© from mobile phone maker Oppo. Key technologies due to land are a new RGBW sensor, a true zoom module, 5-axis stabilisation, and improved under glass selfie cam.

It gives an insight into the pressures traditional camera makers face from the 'bottom' end of the market. The Director of Imaging makes the points that camera equipped mobiles are the goto imaging device that is always on you, and smaller and lighter than digital cameras.

Having recently acquired a Samsung S21 Ultra, primarily to upgrade my mobile's battery and cameras, I have become familiar with this high $ device's limitations. Apart from the usual sensor size and lens speed compromises, the biggest disappointment has been the IQ results from 'in-between' digitally extrapolated focal lengths.

It features (off the top of my head) an ultra wide-angle lens of 13mm (~0.6x), a 'normal' lens of 26mm (weird seeming standard of ~28mm of the mobile phone industry that deems this focal length as normal to the eye or 1x) , a mild telephoto of 72mm (or ~3x), and a telephoto of 260mm (10x). There are also 'hot buttons' for 30x , and 100x 'zoom' which are digitally extrapolated. You can also 'zoom' to any length between 0.6x and 100x by digital means.

I have to say that results outside of the 4 fixed focal lengths are mostly disappointing (loss of IQ) to downright poor (psychedelic artefacts at the longer end). It would be extremely useful to preserve that IQ across the entire focal range (well at least out to 30x , with mild drop off after that). I often wish to take a shot at the 35mm photographic norm of 50mm focal length - this means a 2x interpolation - rarely as good as you want.

The Oppo 'real zoom' tech (between 85mm - 200mm) promises a handy step forward. I think this technology holds exciting promise. In an idealish mobile setup, I could wish for a 1" 50mm fast aperture, an ultra wide-angle lens, a 24mm - 72mm real zoom, and a 72mm - 210mm real zoom, and a ~333mm telephoto. If the sensor sizes could be at least 3/4" to 2/3" , and the digital zoom of the long telephoto much improved, and the computational processing improved, then you'd get an awful lot of photography done.

Well worth watching the video in this article link.

Faced with this unrelenting pressure of mobile phones from 'below' and Canon and Sony from 'ahead' - Nikon has been scrambling to flesh out the mirrorless lens range. With limited resources, this seems to have put the 61MP Z8 on the back burner, along with it's DSLR twin D880. This has also meant no D850 II or D550 either. Pretty big holes and profits going begging in the video capable DSLR world ......

This leaves Nikon focusing (see what I did there ?! πŸ˜‰ ) on the ~45 - ~50MP Z9 , something of an all things to all people R5/A1 style camera. One that will have to be better than both.

Chosun πŸ™Žβ€β™€οΈ

Nikon Z9 ..... nice ! πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Bit of a beast - 45.7MP stacked CMOS, let the AF (and) Video wars begin !

Chosun πŸ™…β€β™€οΈ

Nikon's historical 'D3 moment' .....

A very informative interview, and reading between the lines (and the editors comments) , it seems that DSLRs might be for the high jump .... ! If folks have been getting old and grey waiting for updates to (the admittedly excellent) D500 and D850) they may well finally give up for good.

I hope this Z9 tech filters down to a smaller and lighter mirrorless and shutterless D500 replacement - I find the silence rather appealing ...... 🀫

Chosun πŸ™…β€β™€οΈ

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back