• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 vs Optika 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Quak

Hey Everyone,

Need some advice. Im a bit of a glass junkie as I'm sure many here are. I have a couple of beater binoculars that I keep around...a pair in my truck at all times and a pair on the coffee table at all times. For these "always around" glasses I've come to use the Monarch 5 8x42. I LOVE these glasses. Ive got the Monarch 7s as well but in my experience the only advantage of the 7 is the FOV...which doesn't mean much to me in general...and honestly the 5 was sharper edge to edge so the FOV was kind of a wash. Needless to say I'm a BIG fan of the 5.

Now to the question. Ive got a chance to pick up an Optika 8x42 at a real good price. I love my Meostars but have never laid eyes on the Optika. How does it compare to the Monarch 5 to anyone who has spent time behind them both? Is it a worthy change or I should i stay with the old standby Nikons?

Keep in mind this is not primary glass...but truck glass if that matters.

Rob from Texas

I found the (10x42) Optika to be a bit unusual. Tremendous sweet spot with great contrast and sharp image, surrounded by a very blurry edge starting at about 70%. Very well built, but with slight slack in the focus knob. I would say they are worthy for the sharp sweet spot and feel very compact and sturdy. Perhaps having the larger FOV of the 8x42 would make the edge distortion seem less of a problem. I reviewed them under the Meopta brand here on the web site.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread