• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch M5 or GPO Passion ED? (1 Viewer)

AttilaLengyel

Hungary
Hello,
after weighing many parameters, I ended up at these two models from which I can pick one.

• I have been using Monarch DCF 8x42 for 17 years now. No problems, apart from serious wear-off. Now I want to change to 10x42 and step up if possible.
  • I had no chance to try the GPO 10x42, only a 8x42; that was great, though. 10x42 is not currently available in my country (Hungary).
  • I tried M5 in 10x42 and 8x42 and that was nice. But maybe not the best ever.
  • I wear eye-glasses, and the trade-off between FOV and ER limits me seriously. Even if GPO offers wider FOV, I cannot use it entirely due to its shorter ER.
  • Nikon has nice support in my country but I would have to purchase GPO from abroad.
  • I read some opinions about issues (some 'play') with the focus knob of the GPO. How is it?

So which one would you choose?
Thanks for any help.

Hello,
after weighing many parameters, I ended up at these two models from which I can pick one.

• I have been using Monarch DCF 8x42 for 17 years now. No problems, apart from serious wear-off. Now I want to change to 10x42 and step up if possible.
  • I had no chance to try the GPO 10x42, only a 8x42; that was great, though. 10x42 is not currently available in my country (Hungary).
  • I tried M5 in 10x42 and 8x42 and that was nice. But maybe not the best ever.
  • I wear eye-glasses, and the trade-off between FOV and ER limits me seriously. Even if GPO offers wider FOV, I cannot use it entirely due to its shorter ER.
  • Nikon has nice support in my country but I would have to purchase GPO from abroad.
  • I read some opinions about issues (some 'play') with the focus knob of the GPO. How is it?

So which one would you choose?
Thanks for any help.
I think the M7 should be considered here. The price between the GPO ED and M7 are very close. I’ve had both at the same time and felt the Nikon was the better of the two. The ED focuser on the two I had was not the best and nothing like the HD line. CA correction is better in the M7 and I thought it to be the better choice. I tried the M5 briefly at a sports show indoors , and was not impressed. I might ad the Vortex Viper in the mix as well.

Good lick

Paul

I think the M7 should be considered here. The price between the GPO ED and M7 are very close. I’ve had both at the same time and felt the Nikon was the better of the two. The ED focuser on the two I had was not the best and nothing like the HD line. CA correction is better in the M7 and I thought it to be the better choice. I tried the M5 briefly at a sports show indoors , and was not impressed. I might ad the Vortex Viper in the mix as well.

Good lick

Paul
Thanks, Paul!
I have the following approximate prices (for 10x42): M5 - 350€, M7 - 520€, GPO ED - 400€. So, M7 is disproportionately more expensive here, while M5 and GPO are more in the same range.

Thanks, Paul!
I have the following approximate prices (for 10x42): M5 - 350€, M7 - 520€, GPO ED - 400€. So, M7 is disproportionately more expensive here, while M5 and GPO are more in the same range.
I understand the budget thing well. I would offer a suggestion, being that you’ll never be sorry you bought the better glass, may I suggest shop around, look for deals here and on the E site. Sometimes people are selling new or close to it at very good discounts to fund other purchases.

And if possible be patient and save up that extra $100 bucks. I learned that the hard way with my impulse buying, then not being satisfied and selling at a loss, of that few extra bucks I could’ve saved and bought the item that was a few dollars more.

Anyway good luck , let us know what you got 👍

Paul

M7 is more apples to apples. Much wider fov like the GPO. Closer in price as well. I’ve owned both and they’re both great. A little better warranty with GPO might factor into your decision as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back