• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon MONARCH X 8.5x45DCF or 8x42DCF or else? (1 Viewer)

Andrea-Bologna

I wrote a post also in the Bushnell section, so I'm very sorry for cross posting, but maybe this section in readed by Nikon experts who can help.
I want a new 8x42 (or very similar) for birdwatching. Also:
  • I always wear glasses (unfotunately)
  • I want a “solid” and rather light bino as I bring it during hikings etc.; it must be reliable also with rain, dirt and so on.
  • Budget is about 300-500 euro (about the same in US $)

These are th ones I'm checkig out (just in internet so far...) :
  • Nikon MONARCH X 8.5x45DCF
  • Nikon MONARCH 8x42DCF
  • Minox BL 8x44 BR
  • Minox BV 8X42 BR
  • Legend Ultra HD 8x42mm
  • Bushnell Elite 8X42

thanx for any suggestion!

Andrea

I wrote a post also in the Bushnell section, so I'm very sorry for cross posting, but maybe this section in readed by Nikon experts who can help.
  • I want a “solid” and rather light bino as I bring it during hikings etc.; it must be reliable also with rain, dirt and so on.

• Nikon MONARCH 8x42DCF

Andrea

Try to get the new Monarch III of the 8x42 with dielectric coating similar like the Monarch X 8.5x45.

• Nikon MONARCH 8x42DCF
  • Minox BL 8x44 BR
  • Minox BV 8X42 BR
  • Legend Ultra HD 8x42mm
  • Bushnell Elite 8X42

Andrea

Have you checked out the eye relief specs for those binoculars? If not that should narrow the list. From there you should try the remaining binoculars in person, because whether the eye relief is acceptable will vary from person to person.

• Nikon MONARCH 8x42DCF
  • Minox BL 8x44 BR
  • Minox BV 8X42 BR
  • Legend Ultra HD 8x42mm
  • Bushnell Elite 8X42

I bought some Monarch (III) 8x42s several month ago, and I'm happy with them. I wear glasses all the time too, no problems with relief, but you should check that for yourself. I've used them in the rain a few times and washed them by dribbling tap water on the lenses, and had no problems with leakage. They cost me AUD$340 from www.bhphotovideo.com, including shipping to Australia, and arrived within a week.

I suspect that if I compared them properly with my old Bushnell Legend porros, I'd find the field isn't as flat. I missed the extra wide wide field of view of the porros at first, but it's not bad, and the ease of focusing, size and lightness make up for it.

How solid they are, I can't test till I drop them. I carry them to work and back in my backpack every day, and they're still in alignment.

I looked at a the Bushnell Ultras and found the relief insufficient, both in the 8x and the 10x. Definitely check that for yourself if you're considering them.

I never found any Monarch Xs to try, but I also looked through some Bushnell Infinity 10.5x45s, which they claimed were the same as the Nikon Monarch X 10.5x45s. From memory, the relief was ok, but they seemed a bit hazy. I probably should have checked if the lenses were dirty.

What are you using now, and why don't you like them?

What are you using now, and why don't you like them?

I have a Nikon 8x42 DCF HP since 06/1999 which now is "broken" and out of warranty, so I just have to repalce it (with someething better and lighter).
Actually, I realized that the Bushnell I listed have short Eye relief......
Today I maybe will be able to actually try some Nikon .
ciao

OK: Nikon MONARCH 8x42DCF

• Nikon MONARCH 8x42DCF
  • Minox BL 8x44 BR
  • Minox BV 8X42 BR
  • Legend Ultra HD 8x42mm
  • Bushnell Elite 8X42

I think I decided....
Yesterday I tried both Nikon listed above, both are good but the 8x42DCF in about 100 gr lighter (important) and about 300 Euro less expensive. This 8x42 is available in an italian store (Ebay store but also a "real" store I think) for about 240 euro, and tomorrow I can even be there (I mean, in the store!).
The bigger MONARCH X 8.5x45DCF also is rather strange if you look at the shape, I don't like it a lot.
I also want to avoid ordering from outside European Union due to custom charges (+22 % or similar), time wasting and so on.... also for the warranty I think it's better to buy something "local".
For the Bushnell and Minox listed above, I have never tried them, also they are more expensive than the Nikon I choosed, if I buy in Europe.
Nikon has always bigger eye relief.

Welll, I think I must decide once and for all.
:brains:
At last, sorry for cross posting but I want to reply in both sections I wrote for my “problem”.
Thanx for all the replies.

Last edited:
They are just binos, pick one and go see the birds. even the Monarch 8x42 will get you all the same birds, ID wise.

Have birders just like watching birds and less interested in photography?

UH, if I was MORE interested in photography I'd "classify" myself as "photographer"!
:brains:

I guess I'd also spend some big $$$$ in equipment....
not like the "humble" Nikon bino I just purchased
;)

I have a Nikon 8x42 DCF HP since 06/1999 which now is "broken" and out of warranty, so I just have to repalce it (with someething better and lighter).
Actually, I realized that the Bushnell I listed have short Eye relief......
Today I maybe will be able to actually try some Nikon .
ciao

Instead of buying new, why don't you repair those binoculars?

It would be very unusual for the cost of repairs to exceed the cost of your old binoculars plus the cost of new ones.

Last edited:
Andrea,

I have used both Nikon products mentioned and the 8.5x45 Monarch X stands out with light absorption. I am a Nikon professional so feel free to contact me with further questions at [email protected]

Best,
Mike Freiberg

Have a look at the Olympus 8x42. I looked through a demo pair and I was stunned how good they were. They killed the Nikon Monarch in image quality. Maybe they hand picked the pairs at the display booth but they were surprisingly good. A guy at a big optics store told me most customers coming in to check out Nikon's wind up leaving with the Olympus instead.

The Olympus Magellans are an excellent binoc and have always been rated near the top of the mid price heap. Another binoc similar to the Monarch X's but one heck of a lot cheaper and about as good is the Bushnell Infinity's. A great binoc but the FOV is slighly narrower.

Ciao! Andrea,

Here are two other bins in your price range that you might want to try, depending on the warranty in Europe. In the US, Pentax has a "Worry Free" warranty (equivalent of Nikon's "No Fault" warranty), but apparently elsewhere, they only carry a 1-year warranty, according to the review cited below.

I tried the Pentax 8x36 DCF NV recently and was impressed with the image quality for $200, but I noticed it wasn't as bright and a little less sharp than the Vortex 8x42 Fury, which has silver coated prisms ($289).

So I went to look for the equivalent of the Fury in the Pentax line and found the Pentax 8x42 DCF CS, which has a larger FOV than the Fury (7.5* vs. the Fury's 6.8*) but also silver coatings.

I like the Fury's ergonomics better (fatter barrels are easier to hold for my large hands). I haven't tried the Pentax CS, but the body "slim line" body style appears identical to the 8x36, same length too.

Makes me wonder why Pentax gives its top of the line ED model only 6.5* FOV, but can make its mid-priced model with a wider 7.5* EP? Seems like it should be the other way around.

Here are reviews of both the Vortex 8x42 Fury and Pentax 8x42 CS:

http://magblog.audubon.org/review-vortex-fury-8x42

http://binoculars.toptenreviews.com/binoculars-review/pentax-dcf-cs-8x42-review.html

They both appear to offer good quality for their price point.

Brock

Last edited:
hi there....
As I wrote..... I actually already purchased a Nikon MONARCH 8x42DCF. It was the best choice looking in Ebay, and it was even a "real" store located on my way home! I was lucky.
The bino in working fine... of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back