• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarchs (1 Viewer)

boznia

Does anybody know whether these are a good purchase or not? I have read the review in Bird Watching magazine, which is favourable, although it does talk of an internal resonance when placing them on a hard surface. I am very keen on them due to their weight being just above 600g. I have also had a go and was happy with the feel. I suppose I just want to know if anybody can recommend them or not through their own experience.

Thanks,

Ben

Only limited experience with the Monarch's. The people in Focus Optics were really raving about them but when I tried them, in very poor light conditions, they had quite a bit of 'yellow fringing' and didn't give as gright an image as some similarly priced bins. At the time the RSPB FG PCN?(not the top of the range RSPB bins -they were too heavy) gave the best view for the price and they were quite lightweight!
Also I think the Monarch's are not built at Nikon Japan but in China - could be wrong though - so that might affect build quality.

Not much info but I hope it helps.

Nick, thanks for your comments, could i ask which similarly priced bins you referred to? Possibly Opticron Veranos? I liked these two, but i agree with Bird Watching magazine in that the armoring was slippy - and this was on a warm, sunny day in Norfolk!

Thanks for your time,

Ben

Have you considered a mid-sized roof prism bin? The Minox 8x30 has excellent optical quality, a much wider field of view and better DOF than the Monarchs, and a lovely small shape and low weight. They are probably - I have not done side by side comparisons - almost as sharp as a mid-priced full size bin too. Course they are not as bright in deep shade.

Looked at the Monarch's, the Pyser Eagles (the worst in my opinion, like looking through a dark tunnel- not meaning to upset anyone, it's just my opinion!) Bushnell Legend, Opticron imagic, the 2 RSPB models the FG and the HG). Had also tried the Delta and Avian ranges previous week. I eventually tried some of the 'Top' models as well - Leica, Swarovski, Opticron DBA and the Nikon HG and SE's. Spent a total of 4hrs over 3 weekends.
Unfortunatel didn't come across the Verano's though. Like I said previously personal preference was for the 2 RSPB models in the mid range and would probably have bought the RSPB FG's if I'd stuck to my budget, but hey! what are credit cards for?
If you can stretch to GBP440 the Nikon SE's are brilliant to look throughbut are porro prisms and not waterproof.
By the way, when people say you get what you pay for thay are dead right!!!!! Get the best you can (not) afford.
Have a good time with whatever you get.

I have just found a pair of Opticron Imagic 10x42s for £179 brand new! this seems like too good a deal to pass up. I know i will lose field of view, but for the price it seems hard to turn down. Any views? sorry to keep pestering,

Ben

If you are after a bargain Sherwoods of Birmingham are advertising Opticron HR 8x42 and 10x42 for 150 and 160 pounds. They are sharper and a lot brighter than the Imagic range. Forgot to mention, on all but the very best the quality can vary remarkably within the range so make sure you try out the actual binoculars you buy (if you get them mail order check them really thoroughly as soon as you get them). On a final (negative - sorry) note I foun the imagics to be quite.....average, but I could have had a bad pair!

PS I had a pair of 10x42HR's for 7 years and thought they were great.

Thanks for your comments Nick, are you referring to the roof or Porro Imagics? These imagics are the roof prisms and the price is a saving of £90 even on the whousexpress sale price.

It was the roof imagics I checked out. I did try to spend at least 10 mins on each type of bins as I didn't want to dismiss any straightaway but give them a fair chance (I know 10 mins isnt a long time in the scheme of things but it was long enough). To be fair to all the models I tried, I had gone there hoping to find a cheaper alternative to the ones I eventally bought so there was always a slightly unfair bias against the 'mid-range' models. The choice is obviously yours, but make sure you look through them first. You might think they are great, good or cr*p (the first 2 are OK the 3rd is a bit of a downer if you've just shelled out for them).

Bosnia
I may be wrong but but i thought the Opticron HG's were discontinued some time back.And would of thought the Imagics were the better buy,afriend has the 8x32 porro's and they seem very good value

The Opticron HR 's were discontinued a while back and replaced by the SR range - which is why they are so cheap now - but you can still get them if you really try ( http://www.sherwoods-photo.co.uk/opticron_binos/opticron_index_fs.htm I intend to get a pair of the 8x32 for the 'trouble and strife') Couldn't say about the imagic porro's as I didn't try them. Best bet is nip round to somewhere where there is a good selection and try out as many as poss, if you haven't already.
Opticron's in general are usually good value for money but you might not like the handling of a particular model. It all boils down to 'if YOU like them, buy them' .
Seem to have gone round the houses a bit! Started off on Monarch's, on to Verano's and now Imagic's. That's the problem with mid range models, there's too bl**dy many of them!!!!!

PS hope the 'link' works, never posted one before.

FYI,

I have used for a year the 8X42 Monarch and I have been very happy with them.
No problems at all and waterproof!
The optics was at my understanding rather high quality and very clear.

The comments from Nick-on are correct about the Chineese origin but personally I have nothing to complain about the quality of my Monarch Chineese.

I personally think that the grip of the Monarch are very confortable compared to other brands such as Olympus or Opticron.

About the "dark tunnel" effect, mentioned by Nick-on, it is a true in a sens. Especially if you compare them to the Nikon HG. But they are still very good binos for less than 400 Euro.

I have compared them to the Opticron Verano 8X42, in my perception
* the vision was very similar
* But the grip was not correct for my hands.
* The thirds negative comparaison was the eyepiece quality in the Opticron (very "light" and fragile).

But if you have the budget, go and invest into the Nikon HG 8X32, just amazing.

Anthony

My wife got a pair of Nikon Monarchs about 2 months ago and has used them quite a bit in that time and just loves them. Reasonably light weight (though not the super compacts) for the size 8X42 (I believe from memory). I have also used them some and like them.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back