• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon p950 v p1000 (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
Which model do people feel is best for bird photography?

Am I right in thinking the more recent model has a lower optical zoom?

Thanks.

Here's a link to a simple side-by-side comparison of the specs:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/nikon/p1000/vs/nikon/p950/specifications

As you will see, the P1000 has a bigger zoom: 24-3,000mm equivalent, compared with the P950's 24-2,000mm.

The P950 is lighter than the P1000 but quite a bit more expensive.

As to which is better for bird photography, they will both do a good job. It depends on how much the extra reach matters to you and if you're prepared to carry the extra weight in order to have it.

Malcolm

Here's a link to a simple side-by-side comparison of the specs:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/nikon/p1000/vs/nikon/p950/specifications

As you will see, the P1000 has a bigger zoom: 24-3,000mm equivalent, compared with the P950's 24-2,000mm.

The P950 is lighter than the P1000 but quite a bit more expensive.

As to which is better for bird photography, they will both do a good job. It depends on how much the extra reach matters to you and if you're prepared to carry the extra weight in order to have it.

Malcolm

Thanks. I think that's what's puzzling me; why the one with the extra reach is cheaper.

I think that from Nikon's point of view, the P950 is an upgrade from the P900 rather than anything to do with the P1000. Compared to the P900, you are getting raw shooting, 4k video, a flash hot shoe, a bigger rear screen and a much higher resolution EVF.

The P1000 is a separate entity. But if you want the extra reach and are prepared to accept the increased size and weight, there's no doubt the P1000 is better value.

Malcolm

Thanks. I think that's what's puzzling me; why the one with the extra reach is cheaper.

It is not true, the P1000 is about 25% more expensive than the P950.
US prices at B&H are about $797 for the P950 vs $997 for the P1000.

I have the 900 and the 1000. The 950 looks similar to the 900, no manual focus ring around the lens.
This is a really useful addition, one which I use a lot, ESPECIALLY when birding, and for me justifies the extra price. After all, you will probably keep the camera for a few years, and every time you use that focus ring you will be glad you purchased the 1000.

I also think the pictures are a bit better, I noticed a definite improvement when I switched from the 900 to the 1000

Den

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back