• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon refurbished optics at deep discount (1 Viewer)

Ooof I hope my review doesn't leave you thinking I'm a total dolt :)

Watching the storks today against blazing blue sky, kettling near the sun, I was really impressed with how they did with glare, and wasn't bothered by the chromatic aberration.

I'm not quite enough of a binocular geek to do a better comparison, as I do find value in just enjoying what I have and not obsessing over every detail. However I've been tempted many times to get a CL-B to compare, or to get a MHG 10x42 to compare to my ELSV...

No worries … if it doesn't work for me it will have to do with ER, ergonomics or colors and I would never think badly about anyone who recommended the little HG on this forum. It's really all very subjective. I also read Stephanie's review in that same thread from a couple years ago. She compared it directly to CL-b and it seemed the HG did very well against it from her point of view. Sure seems like a quality bino and I'm glad I got it for a decent price.

Last edited:
Got the little HG in today. Yep ... it's real nice ! My eyes are tired from working a half day and staring at the
monitor for several hours, but I still looked through the HG and also briefly compared to my 1st gen Swaro CL.
Tomorrow morning I'll look through it with rested and fresh eyes. I'll hold off providing more detailed impressions until I get a day of birding with it. This weekend should be good.
I'll just say that I agree so far with what has been said about it already; nice very sharp, warmish view (noticed immediately comparing with CL), really good ease of view with my glasses, sufficient ER, big ocular lenses, quick and smooth focus.
Very small, handsome, light weight, great ergonomics. I like the little hard shell zip case too.

For the big savings on the refurbished unit (looks new to me) it's a no brainer.

Looking forward to using it more. I took a walk around the neighborhood just a bit ago.
Even with tired eyes the image impressed.

UPDATE:

Got to use it this morning with fresh eyes for another neighborhood walk. It was somewhat cloudy/grayish morning.

I'm very pleased with the sharpness/contrast. It's definitely sharper than my 1st gen CL.

Ease of view with glasses and eye relief (checked again) is good.

Some subtle cloudy type glare present at times bottom of image with morning sun.

CA not present right in the center , but present on the periphery when looking at branches against grayish/whitish sky and a crow. Moving the crow towards the edge shows some bit of purple-ish CA on one side of his body, but centering him again all CA is absent.

Nice and bright about as good as my original Swaro CL for brightness.

Colors noticeably warmish (yellow). It's something I will adjust to over time. I been using the color neutral Swaro CL for the last year and the color quality is quite different. Sometimes the warmish view depending on the light can look dramatic and pleasing. Overall, I like the Swaro colors better, but I think I will eventually "warm" up to the HG colors |:p|

Focus is quick and smooth. I like it. The rubber on the wheel is super grippy. Even though the extra grip is useful, I don't like the feel of the texture. It's that type of rubber that attracts dust and particles sticking to it.

Everything feels like high quality in terms of the construction, but I think the eyecups feel a little cheaper than the rest of the bino. I wear glasses and I keep the cups down so it doesn't matter to me. Just thought I'd mention it for people who don't wear glasses.

Super small, super light, ergonomics are super duper. It's really a feather weight. It's quite handsome looking … nice aesthetic design.

If you're interested in the MHG , I highly recommend saving a lot of money and getting one of these "refurbished" units. They really seem like new. You can't go wrong. You get a lot out of such a small binocular and at a nice reduced price.

P.S. Tried to add a pic, but it posted upside down and I tried to fix it with no luck. The photo add tool here is not the best. Most of the time I have issues trying to post photos.

Last edited:
Hello,

I once asked a retailer what happened to the demonstration binoculars. He said Nikon collected them. Other manufacturers, like Zeiss, allowed bigger retailers to order demo glasses for sale.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I too was one of the purchasers of the refurb Monarch HG 8X30. The price was just too good to pass up. I paid $531.20 shipped and now the price is $664.00. I would like to comment on how great Nikon was about shipping. I ordered over the weekend, it was shipped Monday, and I got it yesterday. I just now had a chance to look at it. To me it looks PERFECT as in AS NEW. I even pulled off the objective covers and there is no wear/tear whatsoever of anything visible that's for sure. I'm certainly beyond pleased of received condition. I have only purchased two "refurb" optics in my life. The other was a Leica Silverline 8X42. Both looked like NIB binoculars to me. I'm gonna be a little more open to these purchases in the future.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1569.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1569.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 72
  • fullsizeoutput_156d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_156d.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 71
  • fullsizeoutput_1575.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1575.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 99
I too was one of the purchasers of the refurb Monarch HG 8X30. The price was just too good to pass up. I paid $531.20 shipped and now the price is $664.00. I would like to comment on how great Nikon was about shipping. I ordered over the weekend, it was shipped Monday, and I got it yesterday. I just now had a chance to look at it. To me it looks PERFECT as in AS NEW. I even pulled off the objective covers and there is no wear/tear whatsoever of anything visible that's for sure. I'm certainly beyond pleased of received condition. I have only purchased two "refurb" optics in my life. The other was a Leica Silverline 8X42. Both looked like NIB binoculars to me. I'm gonna be a little more open to these purchases in the future.

Same here Chuck. Got my 10x42's Tuesday. Lightning fast shipping and they look like every bit of brand spankin' new. I'm actually shocked as they look as though they've never been handled. Eyecups function perfectly with positive clicks and diopter lock locks tight. Internals look spotless. I'm thrilled with the deal I got on these.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your 30's. I almost pulled the trigger on that size in addition to the 10x42's.

Is the warranty really on 90 days for these? That's my only apprehension. In any case I went ahead and ordered the Prostaff 7s, M7, and MHG. I'm not sure if the MHG is worth it over the M7 so I wanted to try in person.

Is the warranty really on 90 days for these? That's my only apprehension. In any case I went ahead and ordered the Prostaff 7s, M7, and MHG. I'm not sure if the MHG is worth it over the M7 so I wanted to try in person.

Yes, Nikon's warranty on refurbished binoculars is only 90 days. Furthermore, its return policy is fairly restrictive. Items must be returned within 14 days and not opened. This makes it nearly impossible to try out the binoculars and then return them if they don't work out. In speaking with a Nikon representative, I learned many of its authorized retailers will honor Nikon's sale price on refurbished binoculars. Hence, if you want the option to try out binoculars and return them, you could leverage an authorized retailer's more flexible return policy. That's the approach I plan to take with the Monarch HG 10 x 42. I'm just not sure if the eye relief will be sufficient because I wear eye glasses, so I need the option to return them.

Last edited:
Nikon has announced a sale on optics that have been "refurbished" which often means sold and returned and so under US law cannot be sold as new a second time.

One example, Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 binos selling for $500

Compelling prices, for sure. I'm looking for compact bins right now, and with Nikon on my list, I got excited.

But I REMEMBERED something about Nikon refurb warranties from my many experiences with both Nikon and Canon cameras and lenses over the past 15 years. I still own five DSLR's, three of them Nikon, and nine better lenses, five of them Nikon.

Nikon warranties here: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-store/shopping-help/warranties.page

So just as a note, if I have this right, then.

Nikon full retail warranties on bins: Lifetime on glass for material defects or workmanship, 7 years on non-optical components (body/mechanics).

Nikon refurb warranties on bins: flat 90 days (bottom of Nikon warranty page).

So for roughly 1/3 off the retail price, if the prism comes loose in the first 90 days or the focus wheel falls off, you’re covered. After that, zilch, and you get stuck with the repair bill or else a completely useless product.

Might be something to consider.

So for roughly 1/3 off the retail price, if the prism comes loose in the first 90 days or the focus wheel falls off, you’re covered. After that, zilch, and you get stuck with the repair bill or else a completely useless product.

Might be something to consider.

That's the risk one takes when buying refurbished products at a deep discount. But it would be interesting to know how often purchasers of these refurbished Nikons have had prisms come loose or focus wheels fall off...

I spoke with Nikon and while the product will have no warranty after 90 days, I can send in the product for 'paid' service if necessary. As of today, I have had no issues with them.

I spoke with Nikon and while the product will have no warranty after 90 days, I can send in the product for 'paid' service if necessary. As of today, I have had no issues with them.
Good to hear you've taken the plunge; I think for the super reduced price it's worth the risk with the short warranty period. I really love mine so far; fingers and toes crossed nothing breaks.

I'm attaching a photo just to see if it's easier to post pics here on the new site. I used to have such problems trying to post pics on the old site.

Attachments

• Nikon HG 8x30.JPG
    Nikon HG 8x30.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 28
Good to hear you've taken the plunge; I think for the super reduced price it's worth the risk with the short warranty period. I really love mine so far; fingers and toes crossed nothing breaks.

I'm attaching a photo just to see if it's easier to post pics here on the new site. I used to have such problems trying to post pics on the old site.
I just have to wonder about the "refurbished" part. There's a lot of exposed metal on the Monarch HG. I've looked at mine with a very critical eye...I honestly can see ZERO signs of use of any type. Mine looks "as new."

I just have to wonder about the "refurbished" part. There's a lot of exposed metal on the Monarch HG. I've looked at mine with a very critical eye...I honestly can see ZERO signs of use of any type. Mine looks "as new."
Yes, mine looks 'as new' as well. Someone here once said most of these units are really demos that Nikon collects back from the dealers and then sells them as 'refurbished'. They inspect them as they come in, clean them and fix any issues and that's why they're classified as refurbished. Of course, some may have been defective units that needed fixing, but many may be just very lightly used demo units.

Last edited:
Yes, mine looks 'as new' as well. Someone here once said most of these units are really demos that Nikon collects back from the dealers and then sells them as 'refurbished'. They inspect them as they come in, clean them and fix any issues and that's why they're classified as refurbished. Of course, some may have been defective units that needed fixing, but many may be just very lightly used demo units.
Imo these are brand new units that are sold basically without warranty. Full warranty is pretty expensive, which explains the reduced price.
Just a hunch.

Nikon has announced a sale on optics that have been "refurbished" which often means sold and returned and so under US law cannot be sold as new a second time.

One example, Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 binos selling for $500
On April 2, 2021 Nikon offers a 10% discount on refurbished binoculars at its USA website.

Unless it has changed the 90 day warranty on refurbished products is honored by Nikon with the Sellers who market them.

About 15 years ago I picked up a refurbished Nikon 10x35 EII at High-Point Optics in Northern NJ for about 250.00. They had a box of about a ten of them that I could chose from. (Edit: It's name "High Point Scientific.")

I have used mine without any problems since I purchased it.

https://www.highpointscientific.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy97P34Hz6gIVGuDICh3niwNbEAAYASAAEgInc_D_BwE

Bob
Hi Bob,

It hasn't changed. I found this posted near the bottom of Nikon's warranty webpage:

All Nikon refurbished binoculars, rangefinding binoculars, fieldscopes and rangefinders include a 90-day limited warranty against defects in material and workmanship.

So, what save up front, you might pay out later in repairs, but in your case, you might still have saved.

Even if you purchased a new E2, it might not be covered by Nikon's USA warranty because they are no longer sold in the US, you have to buy E2s from Japan, and I can know from having bought two E2s recently--8x30 and 10x35--they are much more expensive than they were when they were sold in the US. The average price is now about $575 for the 8x30 and about $675 for the 10x35 plus $40-$50 shipping from Japan. So, you're looking at over $600 for the 8x and over $700 for the 10x. Even if you had $250 in repairs to pay out of pocket, you still made out with your refurb.

I'm not sure since Nikon used to specify that you are covered with the Lifetime Limited Warranty only if you purchased your binoculars from an authorized Nikon US dealer. Now it just says "Nikon authorized dealer," which sounds like they would cover E2s purchased from a Japanese Nikon camera and sports optics dealer. I will have to find out.

Nikon Inc. offers warranty coverage on new and refurbished Nikon cameras, lenses, binoculars, rangefinders, fieldscopes, flashes and accessories when purchased through the Nikon Store or a Nikon Authorized Dealer.

I regret not also picking up 10x42 Nikon MHG when I had to chance, I've been waiting for the same sale but alas. Till then I am still enjoying my 8x30 MGHs

The MHG 10x42 is very good at its retail price. I just used mine as my only binocular on vacation, and spent some quality time with
it. It does everything well. For most on here it can be a one and done.
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back