• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Nikon SE - The End of An Era? (1 Viewer)

chartwell99

Interestingly, both the US and UK Nikon websites have dropped references to all the SE models save for the 12 power glass, and the largest "Nikon Premier Sports Optics" dealer in Houston tells me Nikon has discontinued the entire SE line, and is simply selling the remaining inventory. If true, it's really a shame. I have always had blackout problems with the 8 x 32 SE, but decided yesterday I couldn't pass up the store's close-out price of $575 on the last 10 x 42SE, and am very glad I did. Still some blackout issues, but the larger exit pupil of the 10 x 42 helps a lot, and performance is just startling. I would not be at all surprised to see the EII models go the same extinction route, leaving only the Swaro Habicht porros as the last standing center focus birding glasses. Bummer!

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Bummer

chartwell99 said:
Interestingly, both the US and UK Nikon websites have dropped references to all the SE models save for the 12 power glass, and the largest "Nikon Premier Sports Optics" dealer in Houston tells me Nikon has discontinued the entire SE line, and is simply selling the remaining inventory. If true, it's really a shame. I have always had blackout problems with the 8 x 32 SE, but decided yesterday I couldn't pass up the store's close-out price of $575 on the last 10 x 42SE, and am very glad I did. Still some blackout issues, but the larger exit pupil of the 10 x 42 helps a lot, and performance is just startling. I would not be at all surprised to see the EII models go the same extinction route, leaving only the Swaro Habicht porros as the last standing center focus birding glasses. Bummer!
Dear Chartwell99,

Bummer, indeed! Although in many respects, roof prism glasses are the equal of Porros, the latter are less sophisticated, less expensive, less prone to chromatic aberrations, and more easily lend themselves to wide field performance. I yield compactness, waterproof capabilities and shock resistance to the roofs but they are not inherently superior in any optical sense.
Clearly, this is a marketing decision as hunters diminish as a market force and bird watchers are caught up in the roof prism fashion. For the same optical quality, a roof prism will be both lighter and more expensive. Nikon may have succumbed to the desire to increase profits per unit.

I own two modern Porro and two roof 8x30/32. I have excellent examples of both types but in another thread, I mentioned giving my recommendation for the E2 to a tourist about to take an Alaskan vacation.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Last edited:

cbushme

chartwell99 said:

Gentleman, You will find the SE 8x32 and 10x42's under the NikonUSA website. For some unfathonable reason they only have the 12x50 listed under the "Premier" binocular link. But if you click on "Birding", then on "Binoculars" you will find the good old 8x32's and 10x42's.
Many sources have already reported that the EII line is being dropped. I would guess that this is what your dealer is talking about. I doubt the SE line is being dropped at this time. But of course I have been known to be wrong on rare occasion!

Leif

cbushme said:
Gentleman, You will find the SE 8x32 and 10x42's under the NikonUSA website. For some unfathonable reason they only have the 12x50 listed under the "Premier" binocular link. But if you click on "Birding", then on "Binoculars" you will find the good old 8x32's and 10x42's.
Many sources have already reported that the EII line is being dropped. I would guess that this is what your dealer is talking about. I doubt the SE line is being dropped at this time. But of course I have been known to be wrong on rare occasion!

Not so long ago a Nikon rep poppoed up on BF to assure us all that the SE line is not for the chop. Of course they might have changed their mind, but I suspect that the SE range makes modest but worthwhile sales due to word of mouth as to how good they are (despite the black outs experienced by some users).

Leif

chartwell99

cbushme said:

I hope you and Leif are correct on this one, but I do have my doubts. While you are right that the SE 8 x 32 and 10 x 42 bins are shown on the "Birding" section of the USA Nikon website, only the lisiting for the 12 power SE in that area displays "features" of the binocular, while the listings for the 8 and 10 power SE models are blank. The same result is obtained if you look under "Products". The UK Nikon website is worse, omitting all the SE models. Hopefully, someone from Nikon will weigh in to resolve the issue.

Last edited:

cbushme

chartwell99 said:
I hope you and Leif are correct on this one, but I do have my doubts. While you are right that the SE 8 x 32 and 10 x 42 bins are shown on the "Birding" section of the USA Nikon website, only the lisiting for the 12 power SE in that area displays "features" of the binocular, while the listings for the 8 and 10 power SE models are blank. The same result is obtained if you look under "Products". The UK Nikon website is worse, omitting all the SE models. Hopefully, someone from Nikon will weigh in to resolve the issue.

I had to go and look and you are right, you can't pull up the features and technical specs. Odd, I was there 2 or 3 weeks ago and was able to access this information. Hopefully it is just a glitch on the site and not a harbinger of things to come. I am a fan of SE optics and would sure hate to see them disappear. I only own the 8x32 SE right now, but would like to get the 10x42 when finances allow.

Last edited:

chartwell99

Not to beat a dead horse on this, but the Nikon links show no features or specs for either the 8 x 32SE or the 10 x 42SE. Specs are shown for the 12 x 50 SE, possibly because there is still a remaining inventory. The goofy Nikon website references, unfortunately, suggest that my Houston dealer may be correct in reporting the end of the SE production run.

garth

The Nikon website has it own quirks .... and I wouldn't use that as a guide to wether a model is going to continue or not.Notice the E2's give all the specs, yet are being discontinued... and I cannot remember the last time , if ever, I saw the specs for the other SE's.

A month ago or so I spoke to 2 different customer service agents from Nikon USA ... and they both told me the E2's are being discontinued .... the SE's are continuing as is.

-Garth

Wehr

chartwell99 said:
Not to beat a dead horse on this, but the Nikon links show no features or specs for either the 8 x 32SE or the 10 x 42SE. Specs are shown for the 12 x 50 SE, possibly because there is still a remaining inventory. The goofy Nikon website references, unfortunately, suggest that my Houston dealer may be correct in reporting the end of the SE production run.

All specs of all NIKON Sports Products can be seen better here:

http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/products/nature_d.htm#1

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread