• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon TC-17E 11 1.7x Teleconverter (1 Viewer)

Neil

I just posted some images taken with this teleconverter on another thread so I thought I would post some more here in a dedicated thread.
I bought the 1.7x from Anonymous Guy this week and have only been using it for a few days. I had tried it previously on my 500/4 AFS VR but had not been too impressed and decided to stay with my 1.4x . After reading some info that says it should only be used on 2.8 lenses I thought I would get it for my 300/2.8 AFS VR as I hadn't been getting value from this lens which is one of Nikon's best.
The AF seems fast but it seems to lose focus after a few frames, unlike the 500/4 which once focused holds on. I'm using it with the VR on all the time and on a monopod.
Neil

Nikon D3 plus Nikon 300/2.8 AFS VR lens and Nikon TC-17E teleconverter

Hong Kong,
China.
October 2009

Attachments

• bc night heron flight_DSC0040.jpg
    bc night heron flight_DSC0040.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 170
  • bc night heron imm_DSC0079.jpg
    bc night heron imm_DSC0079.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 153
  • chinese pond heron_DSC0553.jpg
    chinese pond heron_DSC0553.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 159
  • greenshank_DSC1077.jpg
    greenshank_DSC1077.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 136
  • intermediate egret_DSC0925.jpg
    intermediate egret_DSC0925.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 130
Well you seem to be getting very good images with it, makes me wonder if I ought to get the new D3s myself.
Surprised about the focus issues-I would have thought the D3 would be pretty good, and certainly a lot better than my D2x, (particularly flight shots which can be a bit hit and miss). I used to have it set to release when focussed-ok for stationary targets, but not so good with fast moving ones. I now have an intermediate setting, which does slow the focus tracking a bit but I get a better hit rate. Also, I've found setting the camera up to use the focus buttons on the lens seems to help ie disconnect the focus control from the shutter release.

Phil,
The D3 is much better than the D2x, which I also have, on focusing tracking fast moving birds eg ducks with prime lenses ,or the 1.4x tele. I had a series of a Sea Eagle coming straight at me and then turning right at 25 meters and I had 17 frames sharp in Raw/Jpeg. I haven't been able to go back to the D2x since getting the D3. You should find the jump to D3s to be worth it.
I'm taking the 1.7x out today to try it on ducks.
Interesting idea on the lens focusing. I haven't tried that.
Neil

Neil, have read on the FM (Fred Miranda) site that there are variances on the 1.7 TC,, I use one for all my soccer games on my 70-200 and it is as sharp as I could ask for,, I did test it out on my astronomy test chart prior final payment and it required a +4 of fine tuning offering very sharp focus,,

no focus hunting on my D300 when using,, have camera set to af when I press the AF-ON button and shutter for the shutter button,, tracks excellent this way in S mode and locks onto the subject and holds (if I can keep the subject in the view finder),,

have read many a report on FM where the 1.7 is excellent on the larger primes with photos supporting,,

Derry

Neil, have read on the FM (Fred Miranda) site that there are variances on the 1.7 TC,, I use one for all my soccer games on my 70-200 and it is as sharp as I could ask for,, I did test it out on my astronomy test chart prior final payment and it required a +4 of fine tuning offering very sharp focus,,

no focus hunting on my D300 when using,, have camera set to af when I press the AF-ON button and shutter for the shutter button,, tracks excellent this way in S mode and locks onto the subject and holds (if I can keep the subject in the view finder),,

have read many a report on FM where the 1.7 is excellent on the larger primes with photos supporting,,

Derry

Derry,
I would love it to work well on my 500/4 AFS and 300/4 AFS so I'll do some tests next week.
Neil.

More photos with the Nikon 1.7x tele

Taken yesterday starting around sunrise.
Neil

Hong Kong,
China.
Oct 2009

Attachments

• bc night heron imm c_DSC0223.jpg
    bc night heron imm c_DSC0223.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 152
  • egrets herons NSW_DSC2281.jpg
    egrets herons NSW_DSC2281.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 103
  • grey heron_DSC2549_1.jpg
    grey heron_DSC2549_1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 125
  • great egret_DSC2247_1.jpg
    great egret_DSC2247_1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 94
  • great cormornant flight_DSC2322.jpg
    great cormornant flight_DSC2322.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 132
Hi
May I interject with a quick question-- I'm looking to buy the 300mm f2.8 for use with my D300. I currently have the TC20 teleconverter and am wondering which to by for the 300mm, should I get the 1.4 or the 1.7? Thanks for any advise. Redtail7

Hi
May I interject with a quick question-- I'm looking to buy the 300mm f2.8 for use with my D300. I currently have the TC20 teleconverter and am wondering which to by for the 300mm, should I get the 1.4 or the 1.7? Thanks for any advise. Redtail7

I would get the 1.4x first as it's a seamless fit to the Nikon tele lenses and you could should hand held at a pinch. The 1.7x will work but really needs to be on a tripod/monopod and have good light.
I tested both out on the 500/4 AFS this morning and will post some results later.
Neil

Back to one of my favorite spots today with the Nikon 500/4 AFS to test out the 1.7x tele on it . The light was bright but hazy so there was a bit of hunting for focus and a couple of times I couldn't get focus at all. It's a nice length though and I got a few nice images although nothing came closer than about 30 metres.
Neil

Nikon D3 plus Nikon 500/4 AFS VR and Nikon 1.7x E 11 tele

Hong Kong,
China.
October 2009

Attachments

• bc night heron imm flight_DSC3363.jpg
    bc night heron imm flight_DSC3363.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 142
  • bf spoonbill flight_DSC3195_1.jpg
    bf spoonbill flight_DSC3195_1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 108
  • great cormorant flight_DSC3225.jpg
    great cormorant flight_DSC3225.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 107
  • grey heron flight_DSC3243_1.jpg
    grey heron flight_DSC3243_1.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 122
Hi

Since you have the 20, I would also suggest that the 1.4 would be the best one to get.

Neil, I congratulate you on your shots with the 1.7TC, would love to know what settings you used in terms of metering,AF settings, number of focus points, lock on info, etc. Must admit after my initial positives, I have been disappointed with the perfomance of my D300s so far even without a TC, as it has struggled to find focus where there is any background.I can only assume it's me and my inability to use the camera as I have seen lots of shots that have been excellent.

What focusing are you using? I only use single point or 9 points. When I upgraded from my D200 it took a while before I got to grips with the D300 which was way more complex and slightly more critical to set up. I have never found 51 point / 3d focussing to be useful for bird shots but that discussions already been done to death.

What focusing are you using? I only use single point or 9 points. When I upgraded from my D200 it took a while before I got to grips with the D300 which was way more complex and slightly more critical to set up. I have never found 51 point / 3d focussing to be useful for bird shots but that discussions already been done to death.

Steve,
I'm using 51 point AF (3D doesn't work for me for birds in flight ) but have used 21. With ducks and waders bobbing and weaving I want to have max coverage. I have AF-C set to Release + Focus and always shoot in Continuous. I like to be shooting at 1/2000 at at least f7.1 when using teleconverters and need some DOF to cover from wing to head.
If I know the action is going to be fast and furious I switch to Jpeg only so I don't slow down to much.
Neil.

Thanks guys. I took a trip to the beach this afternoon and had a practice on the Herring Gulls. I must admit, I found 21 points the best. I also tried "wrap" which din't have a negative effect. The light was appalling so it wasn't the best day to try things but I was encouraged !
I think for small birds and flocks 51 points might be the best option.
I think I have been trying the Auto Af too often and that doesn't seem to be as good as dynamic area AF.
I'm not sure why the D300 is any more complicated than the D200, there are less AF settings to begin with. I do like the closest subject priority that the D200 has but the D300 hasn't.

for small birds single point is best, stick the focus point on the subject, no problems

I've been using the Nikon 1.7x a lot on slow moving birds feeding and playing around. It seems to have no problem to AF under 100 metres in reasonable sunlight. In low light it does a lot of hunting and often ends up not finding focus. In good light I was even able to get some reasonable flight shots with the 500/4 AFS VR.
Here are some more from the last couple of days.
Neil

Nikon D3 plus Nikon 500/4 AFS VR and Nikon 300/2.8 AFS VR lenses and Nikon 1.7x tele

Hong Kong,
China.
October 2009

Attachments

• bc night heron 1.7x_DSC9030.jpg
    bc night heron 1.7x_DSC9030.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 86
  • common kingfisher 1.7x c_DSC4979_1.jpg
    common kingfisher 1.7x c_DSC4979_1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 135
  • greenshank 1.7x_DSC5229.jpg
    greenshank 1.7x_DSC5229.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 105
  • wt kingfisher flight 1.7x c_DSC5520_1.jpg
    wt kingfisher flight 1.7x c_DSC5520_1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 121
  • crested myna 1.7x_DSC9148.jpg
    crested myna 1.7x_DSC9148.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 106
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back