• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon WX anyone? (1 Viewer)

Holger,

Please tell us what kind of a carrying strap do you use with your WX to make a long walk with this much glass enjoyable.

Holger,

Please tell us what kind of a carrying strap do you use with your WX to make a long walk with this much glass enjoyable.
You'd better not. It's an ordeal to the neck.
Best solution is put them into a bag/sack, I suggest Billingham or Nikon 100th anniversary bag.

Holger clearly states he carries his WX in a day / ruck sack and does not use a neck strap.
Thank you, I missed that.
He is willing to trade the loss of spontaneity for the greater comfort of the back pack carry. I'd consider a harness or a shoulder sling, about as clunky but more accessible.

A bit of necroposting ...

This post and the Nikon WX in general seem to be focused on the expansive FOV and edge-to-edge sharpness.

Surely the ~$6K USD (plus taxes as appropriate) price point creates some room for a specialty bin that mimics this performance level at a more modest price point and weight. Being ~5.5Kg/12lbs really makes it as much of a birding bin as a lot of the astronomy bin options IMHO. ;)

I wonder about competitors in similar formats or even the ~32mm class. I could see a 7x35 at 1/2 the cost being a nice alternative that is more accessible and practical for a lot of people. I must say though, my Steiner ShadowQuest 8x56 bins are a heck of a bargain at $730USD. Maybe a smaller manufacturer like Maven could make a Marquee bin in a 7x35 format with similar performance goals! It is nice to dream! :)

I wonder about competitors in similar formats or even the ~32mm class. I could see a 7x35 at 1/2 the cost being a nice alternative that is more accessible and practical for a lot of people. I must say though, my Steiner ShadowQuest 8x56 bins are a heck of a bargain at $730USD. Maybe a smaller manufacturer like Maven could make a Marquee bin in a 7x35 format with similar performance goals! It is nice to dream! :)

APM was considering a competitor but I think they were holding off
to see how interest developed or if this was just a fluke.
The WXs generate a lot of interest and posts, but sales----?
I can see a 70mm WX for astronomy
how big and heavy would a 35mm have to be?

edj

APM was considering a competitor but I think they were holding off
to see how interest developed or if this was just a fluke.
The WXs generate a lot of interest and posts, but sales----?
I can see a 70mm WX for astronomy
how big and heavy would a 35mm have to be?

edj

A 7x35 or even a 6x30 that wasn't so extremely heavy and expensive would be something I would be interested in assuming it was sized like an 8x42 Roof from the normal sources.

Over 2lbs and $2,000, it becomes an object of curiosity. if it is sized like a small spotting scope, the bulk really takes it out of contention as well. Add a close focus that is better for birding than astronomy and the appeal should be broad enough to move good numbers in the marketplace.

Since the Zeiss Terra consumer isn't interested, it really makes the most sense if they compete in the "alpha" price class. I think about the Swarovski Habicht 7x42 as one example of a niche this could fill with broad appeal.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back