• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL pure 10x vs 8x (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

I gave the 10x another chance today and it just doesn’t work for me. Black outs are so bad that I could never get a fully illuminated field. I am not new to binoculars and have looked through them every day for years. No matter where I position the eye cups I still could not get it comfortable. My Swarovision 10x50 was just night and day different and better. So my question just wondering if the 8x is easier to look through?

Robert Moore, post 1,
Experiences seem to differ on this forum, but I have used the NL 8x42 under very different light situations and I have never come across any observation problems. For me it is a problem free binocular with excellent performance: very comfortable handling, excellent optical quality, so only joy to use it.
Gijs van Ginkel

I gave the 10x another chance today and it just doesn’t work for me. Black outs are so bad that I could never get a fully illuminated field. I am not new to binoculars and have looked through them every day for years. No matter where I position the eye cups I still could not get it comfortable. My Swarovision 10x50 was just night and day different and better. So my question just wondering if the 8x is easier to look through?

Robert,

That is really a surprise, and yes you have viewed many a prime glass. I can only say I chose the 8X42 for the 9 degree FOV and next the larger EP. I found that my 10X50s were easier for me also. I must say though, when I first viewed with the SV 8.5X42 adaptation was instant, whereas I spent more time conforming to using the NL.

Andy W.

For some reason, the Nl seems to require that not only the eyecups be precisely set, but also the IP setting needs to be especially correct. Normally, most users will start their IP adjustment with the widest position and then narrow the IP until two images merge into one. With the Nl, you might have to narrow it a bit more, in order to avoid blackouts. I have the 8x42 Nl, and with the correct adjustments, I find them even more comfortable than the 8.5 x42 El which I had tried for 2 weeks.

Since you already have the 10x50 Swaro, the 8 x42 Nl would be a better complement, I think, to what you already own. The fantastic, brighter and more immersive FOV of the 8x should more than make up for a bit less magnification.

For some reason, the Nl seems to require that not only the eyecups be precisely set, but also the IP setting needs to be especially correct. Normally, most users will start their IP adjustment with the widest position and then narrow the IP until two images merge into one. With the Nl, you might have to narrow it a bit more, in order to avoid blackouts. I have the 8x42 Nl, and with the correct adjustments, I find them even more comfortable than the 8.5 x42 El which I had tried for 2 weeks.

Since you already have the 10x50 Swaro, the 8 x42 Nl would be a better complement, I think, to what you already own. The fantastic, brighter and more immersive FOV of the 8x should more than make up for a bit less magnification.
Thanks for the feedback. I am wanting it in the 8x and not the 10. They only had it in the 10 so that’s the only one I could look through. I have a Zeiss 8x42 Ht now but am wanting another 8x. I have it down to the 8x42 NL and the Leica 8x42 Noctivid. I know I really like the Noctivid because I have looked through one and love the daytime colors.

I had the same problem with the NL 8x42 that you had with the NL 10x42. Very difficult eye placement with black-outs no matter where I positioned the eye cups and glare in the lower part of the FOV. I bet you will have the same problem with the NL 8x42 that you had with the NL 10x42. The NL 10x42 is not going to be as comfortable to use as your Swarovision 10x50 because of the smaller exit pupil and difficult eye placement. I sold my NL 8x42 for those reasons. I went back to Porros and for a roof I have the SLC 8x42. It has hardly any glare at all like the NL and no RB which I also experienced with the NL. Let us know how the NL 8x42 works for you.

Normally, most users will start their IP adjustment with the widest position and then narrow the IP until two images merge into one. With the Nl, you might have to narrow it a bit more, in order to avoid blackouts.
This is also my experience. It works fine.

I never tried the Noctivid, so I can't compare its colors to the Nl. But if you are looking for natural colors, it would be difficult to find any more natural than with the Nl. At any time of the day, the colors are just true (Natural Pure) to those you see without the Nls. In addition, the brightness, clarity and contrast is superb, with no CA that I can detect.

Some binoculars seem to enhance certain colors in an unatural way in order to appeal to some people. (The same people might have their TVs set to Display mode). Unless you are one of these people, you should love the color rendition of the NL

Ще трябва да опитам 8 пъти. Кабелас имаше само 10 пъти и това е единственото място около мен, което дори има премиум бинокъл.
Като Swarovski NL 8x 42, така и 10x42 .. Много ми харесаха ... цветове, контраст..и всичко ... За мен те са едни от най-добрите бинокли, които съм виждал. съжалявам за превода.
Of all Swarovski's binoculars ... for me NL Pure are the best.

Last edited:
I never tried the Noctivid, so I can't compare its colors to the Nl. But if you are looking for natural colors, it would be difficult to find any more natural than with the Nl. At any time of the day, the colors are just true (Natural Pure) to those you see without the Nls. In addition, the brightness, clarity and contrast is superb, with no CA that I can detect.

Some binoculars seem to enhance certain colors in an unatural way in order to appeal to some people. (The same people might have their TVs set to Display mode). Unless you are one of these people, you should love the color rendition of the NL
The colors of the Noctivid like most Leicas are more saturated than the NL. It is personal preference which is better. The colors of the NL are very natural but the colors through the Noctivid are beautiful, and they enhance nature in a way. A Noctivid or even an Ultravid makes objects better than they really are because of the richness of the colors. If you like color you will like a Leica.

I will have to give the 8x a try. Cabelas only had the 10x and that’s the only place around me that even has premium binoculars.
Sadly Cabela's only stocks 10x in many of the top line binos models. Most hunters have fallen into the "bigger must be better" trap, so that's all they stock.

I went back today and had a much better experience with the NL. I played with the IPD and eyecups and finally got it to work for me. The transparency and colors were awesome and the close focus viewing was the best I have seen. I was to quick to judge them.

I went back today and had a much better experience with the NL. I played with the IPD and eyecups and finally got it to work for me. The transparency and colors were awesome and the close focus viewing was the best I have seen. I was to quick to judge them.
I am glad you got them to work for you. I think you will appreciate the 8x even more, because of its record breaking immersive FOV. Once you get it adjusted, you should find it more comfortable because of its bigger EP. While I never tried the 10x, I would imagine that the 8x, will have a slightly brighter image, too.

I am glad you got them to work for you. I think you will appreciate the 8x even more, because of its record breaking immersive FOV. Once you get it adjusted, you should find it more comfortable because of its bigger EP. While I never tried the 10x, I would imagine that the 8x, will have a slightly brighter image, too.
Thanks. Yes I think the 8x should be excellent. The 10x has the same field of view as most 8s. Now might even consider getting the 10x. I think I will order the 8x and take them to Cabelas and compare them side by side with the 10x. If I like the 10 better I can return the 8. I just wish I had a place that stocked both.

Actually, the 10xNl has the exact FOV of the 8.5 x42 El, which is 399ft. While I couldn't compare a 10xNl to an 8x Nl, I did compare the 8x Nl to the 8.5 El, where the FOV difference is the same. The difference is quite obvious.

If you do compare the 8x and 10x Nl at Cabellas, do it outside, if you can. The difference in FOV is even more striking when you can look out further than you can indoors.

Благодаря. Да, мисля, че 8x трябва да е отличен. 10x има същото зрително поле като повечето 8s. Сега може дори да помислите за получаване на 10x. Мисля, че ще поръчам 8x и ще ги заведа до Cabelas и ще ги сравня рамо до рамо с 10x. Ако харесвам 10-те по-добре, мога да върна 8. Иска ми се просто да имам място, което да запаси и двете.
Какво решихте след 16 дни? Какво избра? 8x42NL или 10x42NL? Благодаря.

Какво решихте след 16 дни? Какво избра? 8x42NL или 10x42NL? Благодаря.
[What did you decide after 16 days? What did you choose? 8x42NL or 10x42NL? Thanks.]
I'm wondering about this for myself...

It's quite odd how impressed nearly everyone is by the NL, yet sometimes having trouble deciding which they'd want, meaning what they want from it. Familiar magnification with more FOV? (Sounds great... but maybe not so impressive aesthetically?) More magnification with familiar FOV? (Why not... could longtime 8x users finally be interested in 10x?) Simply maximum FOV, at 8x? It's not just a question of meeting expectations, but reformulating them. Truly a game-changer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back