• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL pure 10x vs 8x (1 Viewer)

I guess that most of the complaints of new glass today are from those who do not wear glasses. The NL is a fine glass, however as a viewer I have other 8X that are easier to line up to my eyes quickly, Swaro SV 8.5, Noctivid, EDG, Monarch Hg, Nikon HG L, Leica UV, Zeiss FL, Meopta Meostar, etc. Nothing against the optics, just the eye-box. It will likely get easier with more use.

I do not typically wear glasses. I formerly owned the 8X Noctivid and find the 8X NL Pure’s no more difficult to line up, but I am not switching back-and-forth between the NL Pures and anything else. I also found the view of the NVD’s and the NL Pures a bit similar in the center re crystal clear clarity but with the NL Pures more immersive with their expansive FOV. About the only thing I would give the NVD at maybe being better at is being a little more settled when panning.

I do not typically wear glasses. IAbout the only thing I would give the NVD at maybe being better at is being a little more settled when panning.
By being less settled when panning with the 8x42 Nl, are you referring to RB effect, or possibly blackouts?

I guess that most of the complaints of new glass today are from those who do not wear glasses. The NL is a fine glass, however as a viewer I have other 8X that are easier to line up to my eyes quickly, Swaro SV 8.5, Noctivid, EDG, Monarch Hg, Nikon HG L, Leica UV, Zeiss FL, Meopta Meostar, etc. Nothing against the optics, just the eye-box. It will likely get easier with more use.
I noticed the same thing.

I do not typically wear glasses. I formerly owned the 8X Noctivid and find the 8X NL Pure’s no more difficult to line up, but I am not switching back-and-forth between the NL Pures and anything else. I also found the view of the NVD’s and the NL Pures a bit similar in the center re crystal clear clarity but with the NL Pures more immersive with their expansive FOV. About the only thing I would give the NVD at maybe being better at is being a little more settled when panning.
I agree. I think it is due to a slight RB in the NL. Also, I found the Noctivid to have more saturated colors as with most Leicas.

Публикация # 34 не е превод на цитираната публикация от bockos на български --- изглежда, че функцията за копиране и поставяне на мишката не работи и за интерпретатора = Denco.
Обратно към темата на тази тема: ако се интересувах от 10x или 12x, щях да погледна Swaro 10x50 и 12x50. Сравних 10x42 NL и 10x50 SV и за мен последният беше по-добре с ръце.
Разбирам. 10x50 EL е трудно да се победи. Но реших да заложа на новия 10x42 NL .. Той е по-лек от 10x50 ... Харесвам цветовете, контраста, прозрачността в NL .... Също така 10x42 NL с FRP е по-стабилен на ръка от 10x50 и от всяка ръка бинокъл. В допълнение, 133m за 10x е по-широк от 115m за 10x50. Сравних ги за около 2 часа ... и реших 10x42 NL и 8x42 NL

To all just FYI, Bockos finds that with the automatic translation on his phone, the new BF website doesn't let him post in English anymore, anything he pastes in is also translated into Bulgarian before he can submit it. If there's a workaround, he hasn't found it yet. So perhaps we can just try to help out.
[I've seen all three NLs and it's hard for me to decide which two to take. They are very nice binoculars. 10x42NL is obviously the first ... but the second? whether 8x42 and 10x42 .... or 10x42 and 12x42 .. All three are very nice. a difficult choice for me.]
[Thank you. But for me 10x42 NL is special. with an output beam of 4.2 ... and a width of 133 m. The golden mean ... it is the first.]
[I'm actually translating it from Bulgarian to English in a Google translator ... I'm copying. And I put it in the forum, but it is automatically translated into Bulgarian before I upload it. That's since Birdforum was updated. I didn't have this problem with the old Birdforum. I'm sorry.]
[I also liked the 8x42 the most with its lightness and everything, especially the 5.25 output beam: WOW ... But I also liked the 10x42NL which is close to wow .. For 10x .. for a little detail, and the output beam 4.2 is important to me. The same colors and contrast in the NL package, also FRP makes the binoculars more stable for me than any hand binoculars. So maybe I'll take both 8x42 and 10x42 both with FRP. I tried it ..for me this FRP makes 8x42NL and 10x42NL a bit more stable ... for 12x42 I am more and more hesitant because it is 12x and in hand it will not be stable ... and the output beam is smaller. .I am looking for binoculars by hand ... I think with 8x and 10x ... I will have everything and a few details and a wide field ... 133m is a lot for 10x ... and 10x32 is not NL and output beam 3.2. I do not want it.]
[I have been living in the Czech Republic for three years. I work at Skoda. But I still can't write well in Czech. But Swarovski NL is a remarkable binoculars.]
[I understand. 10x50 EL is hard to beat. But I decided to bet on the new 10x42 NL .. It is lighter than 10x50 ... I like the colors, contrast, transparency in NL .... Also 10x42 NL with FRP is more stable by hand than 10x50 and by any hand binoculars. In addition, 133m for 10x is wider than 115m for 10x50. I compared them in about 2 hours ... and decided 10x42 NL and 8x42 NL]

[Edit] By the way, I want to point out how astonishingly well Google translates these days. I've taken quotes of my posts translated into Bulgarian and put them back into English, and it's nearly verbatim, even idiomatic.

Last edited:
За всичко само за FYI, Бокос установява, че с автоматичния превод на телефона му новият уебсайт на BF вече не му позволява да публикува на английски, всичко, което той поставя, също се превежда на български, преди да може да го изпрати. Ако има решение, той все още не го е намерил. Така че може би можем просто да се опитаме да помогнем.
Извинявам се на всички. Благодаря ти. В стария Birdforum нямах този проблем.

I agree. I think it is due to a slight RB in the NL. Also, I found the Noctivid to have more saturated colors as with most Leicas.
Very very slight RB. Yes the Noctivid Photoshopped it’s images with the saturation slider by a value of 3 maybe 4. Another reason to prefer the NL Pures which use the slider at 0 to 1. Very true reproduction. The EL’s -3.

Last edited:
Yes the Noctivid Photoshopped it’s images with the saturation slider by a value of 3 maybe 4. Another reason to prefer the NL Pures which use the slider at 0 to 1. Very true reproduction. The EL’s -3.
I find this to be pretty much the case also. But that is also why I love the Leica's so much.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back