• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL Pure 8x32 and NL Pure 10x32! (1 Viewer)

Gijs,

No.3 - After the heartbreak in 1974, I was there in Benos Aires in 1978, and watched the last one from home in South Africa in 2010. No3 brings home a lot of memories, some good some very disappointing, if only Robben could have gone past Casillas.

Gijs,

No.3 - After the heartbreak in 1974, I was there in Benos Aires in 1978, and watched the last one from home in South Africa in 2010. No3 brings home a lot of memories, some good some very disappointing, if only Robben could have gone past Casillas.
Sigh, is this Rub it in or Robben in.....?

If the Oranje had concentrated more on the Robben style of play and less on the van Bommel style they may have won.

I’m not sure how long this debate will be allowed to continue before we’re asked to desist!

Though the 42mm NL Pure doesn't offer the burnt orange option, yet this larger size and x 12 is likely to be interesting to the stalking community.

I dont think it's due to excess stocks of brighter rubber armouring!
As sure as the Sun rises I'm sure you'll be able to get the 42 NL in Orange and maybe other colours...

Cheers
Tim

I don't personally like the orange NL that much, but I don't see anything shallow in liking the look of something.
It is alleged that there are, among the birding community, some for whom their binoculars are a fashion accessory, a bit of personal jewelry, or a demonstration of affluence.

I, personally, have never met such a shallow individual, but I bird alone.

The orange would seem to be especially suited for those folks, as it seems to be destined to be noticed at all times and in all places

No, I am a huge fan of the Orange and of course Robben, he must be retired by now.

Off topic but I think he's sort of un-retired and playing for his first club, at least part time, or some such... not sure if I have it 100% correct. I'm sure there are those more up to speed who can chime in.

I don't personally like the orange NL that much, but I don't see anything shallow in liking the look of something.

And I personally like the orange a lot! I don't think I'd commit that money to an alpha bin that I'm going to use primarily for birding. But on the flip side, if the MHG or CL were available in orange or yellow I would likely have chosen that color. Camo and drab coloring have their place but so do joyful days in sandals and a bright yellow t-shirt birding in places where a pair of orange bins won't make any difference at all in what you see. I've seen a LOT of great birds dressed in loud colors.

Off topic but I think he's sort of un-retired and playing for his first club, at least part time, or some such... not sure if I have it 100% correct. I'm sure there are those more up to speed who can chime in.
He played several minutes in the last 2 years for FC Groningen, even twenty minutes today (and lost in the Derby of the North from Heerenveen).

It is alleged that there are, among the birding community, some for whom their binoculars are a fashion accessory, a bit of personal jewelry, or a demonstration of affluence.
So now certain bins are an optical Rolex? Please.

Last edited:
I think pricing is getting out of hand here. I mean it would make more sense if there were an intent to make a boutique product eg. like those big Nikon bins etc, and destined to be used very carefully in controlled environments. But for something to be thrown in a backpack and taken to the beach, a boat, dropped into sand or on to rocks etc, well ...

This pricing issue seems particularly relevant in the case of a 32 which is sort of supposed to be the "cheap" binocular compared to the 42.

Some years ago, I spoke to the Canon pro camera rep, who told me that basically pro photographers were buying prosumer models because the pricing of the "pro" EOS bodies had got out of hand. I think we may see something like this happen here, a glass that needs to be thrown around, taken on a boating trip or to the beach, and can get lost or stolen needs to be ... reasonably replaceable.

I'm making no comment here on quality or "optical value" compared to the previous model.

To those who don't care about pricing,and for who the view through a glass is one of the big pleasures of life, I say "enjoy"!

Edmund

Last edited:
Added just afterwards:.. and I also wonder if the lower diameter won't make the NL 32 versions feel similarly more compact than the NL 42s despite the small length difference when just examining a photo or specs on paper.

Add that to the NL sculpted tubes and it seems almost inevitable.

One of the realities all Product Managers come to eventually, is that the sales of that cool, "new and improved," thing you've been working on, sold to management as the antidote for a competitive offering, or new niche product, will not only just be new additive sales for your company. Rather there will also be cannibalization of similar, related products in your own line.

If we merge Seldom Perched's idea, the NL sculpted tubes, and the pricing described in #148, what do we think happens to NL842 sales volume with the 32 now coming?

The obvious problem in discussing the NL x32 is that it's not yet in general circulation, and won’t be until next month
The exceptions being:
• some dealers such as Jan having had a short hands-on session, see post #22, and
• a very few such as Diego Calderon getting what may be a pre series production unit for field testing, see post #56

I was interested in Jan’s observation that in comparing the x32 and the x42 NL:
'. . . The waist of the 32 is 2 mm smaller compared to the 42 and one can hardly feel a difference. The balance is right beneath the thumb,
in other words for me excellent . . . '

So playing around with the one comparative image that we have from Swarovski, I aligned the rear end of the two bodies (ignoring the eyecups)
As can be seen, the rear half of the two binoculars appears the be externally identical - from the rear of the body to the front of the bridge,
both in length and width - at least with a front-on view
This may give x42 users some idea of how the x32 is also likely to feel and handle

However, the common external dimensions shouldn’t be taken as meaning that internally the x32 and x42 NL are necessarily identical
A likely difference would be the eyepiece lenses, and it’s possible that the focuser mechanism has been modified
The 2 mm difference noted by Jan may either reflect only a modification to the external RA covering, or perhaps also modification
to the underlying metal body shell

John

p.s. as can be seen from a side-on image of the x32, the bridge protrudes significantly above the barrels, similar to that of the x42

Attachments

• NL's with rear of body aligned.jpg
    NL's with rear of body aligned.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 84
  • NL x32 Side View .jpg
    NL x32 Side View .jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back