• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL Pure 8x32 vs 10x32 (1 Viewer)

My gut feeling says that the Habicht GA will survive a drop better than the SLC, EL and NL.
so:
Habicht GA > SLC > EL > NL

This is just a non scientific opinion, based on the fact that i dropped my Habicht GA on a wooden floor once without damage;) But i could be completely wrong.

It would be an interesting fact finding experiment to drop the above mentioned binoculars from let’s say 2m on a wooden floor 10 times to see how they respond to that. Maybe somebody did this test already?
I have also dropped GA on a wooden floor but not from 2m high. That is the only time I dropped binoculars and no other experience I have. However, I saw a few videos on YouTube, about dropping and torturing Vortex, GPO, and Conquest HD binoculars. They worked well even after getting pretty much of torturing. Now it is time to compare Swarovski models in the same way 🤣🤣

I have also dropped GA on a wooden floor but not from 2m high. That is the only time I dropped binoculars and no other experience I have. However, I saw a few videos on YouTube, about dropping and torturing Vortex, GPO, and Conquest HD binoculars. They worked well even after getting pretty much of torturing. Now it is time to compare Swarovski models in the same way 🤣🤣
I agree, i even think that published drop test should be mandatory in the binocular industry. Like the safety tests that are mandatory with cars nowadays. We pay premium prices for binoculars so i want premium shock proof products. Also the guarantee period should go back to 30 years in my opinion.

Thotmosis, post 22,
I think that you do not have to worry too much. We tested binoculars under severe vibrating circumances much stronger than a fall from 1 meter high could cause and the investigated binoculars did not show any harm. A story I have told on this forum before: we visited Zeiss during a BHS meeting and the head of quality management showed us a 8x30 Hensoldt porro and during our conversation he "by accident" let it drop on the concrete floor from a height of 1 meter , nothing wrong with it. And we have investigated roof prism binoculars also against intense shocks and nothing was wrong with them either.
Gijs van Ginkel

Good to know that Gijs. I don’t worry too much but i think it might be a good idea as producers of binocular would publish test results, like the ones you perform yourself. As a scientist you don’t think that would be a good idea? It would be also good for competition and everybody (industry and customers) would benefit from it.

i think it might be a good idea as producers of binocular would publish test results, like the ones you perform yourself
How reproducible would such test be and how relevant in real life where height, angle, ground hardness vary a lot? A binocular falling on the side on grass is not the same as the lens hitting a sharp rock.

How reproducible would such test be and how relevant in real life where height, angle, ground hardness vary a lot? A binocular falling on the side on grass is not the same as the lens hitting a sharp rock.
The tests could give a good idea on how a particular binocular reacts on shocks. Obvious there should be a standardization of these test with protocols and all that. But now we are talking details, I think you get the idea. Best would be a as the binocular industry would set up an independent test center that performs the test. Dr. Gijs van Ginkel can be an adviser, you can be an official Birdforum observer if you want. You will get an official certificate and a special badge. The test institute will however not be in France but in Germany.

For a scientist or an engineer, details are the difference between something that works or an idea on a forum that has no chance of ever being implemented.

I do not see the point of this kind of remark and I think I'm gonna stop this conversation.
I think its better for everyone because you think in problems and not in solutions and also you don’t have any sense of humor.

If I can raise the eyecups so that they rest against my eye sockets then a 10x or a 12x bino is as easy to use as any 8x pair. If I cannot do that then a 8x is not going to work well for me. I have 6.5x, 8x, 10x, 12x, and 20x binos and the 10x and 12x are what I use. I keep my 8x binos in our cars where they are ready if needed and not a great loss is stolen.

The Vortex 12x50 weigh 29 ounces and are not what I would consider "heavy". Heavy would be my 7x50 marine binos that weigh 38 ounces.
My lightest are Pentax 6.5x21 at 10.2 oz and the Swarovski 10x25 Pocket Mountain at 12.4 oz and the real advantage of these two binos is that they easily fit inside a jacket pocket and no need for a bino case. Actually the 10x25 inside their case will fit in a jacket pocket or the water bottle holder in a backpack or fanny pack.

Hello, my current kit consists of EL FP 8.5x42 and Kowa 883 spotting scope, and my wife and kids share a CL Companion 8x30.

I'm looking to purchase a lighter pair of bino's for myself, and considering the NL Pure 8x32 or 10x32 with a head rest. My dealer is recommending I get 8 power, but I was wondering if the head rest would help reduce any hand shakes at the higher 10x higher magnification? I don't have the ability to test out both pairs before placing an order, so looking for any and all advice.

What's the general consensus in the community and how do these two bino's compare in the field? Also would you anticipate Swaro will release an updated revision in the coming year, or are the first gen NL Pure's considered to be best in class? Thanks!
I have the 10x32 NL Pure and I think they are the all around best bin I have ever used. To me, they have it all. Good size, weight, ergos and amazing DOF and edge to edge sharpness. Funny, I did buy the headrest but I don't use it. I don't prefer my eyecups out all the way and the rest prevented me from getting close to the lens.

I can see this is a closed forum where newest is bestest. Nothing worth my time now, bye all.
Your gut opinion may or may not be correct, but is has some merit based on observations and some specification of less metal, magnesium and more plastic content. That was published I think by John Robert’s who put up a post side by side if I recall correctly, showing the difference.

I might agree from feel (and gut) as well as the apparent slightly thicker rubber armor on the EL’s, that it may be slightly more robust, it’s my feeling as well. At least without true scientific experiments , one would conclude that a feeling of more robust build may equate to more durable binoculars.

As far as EL and NL optical quality, I think they’re about the same. The eye box/comfort is actually superior in the EL’s. If I was choosing between NL10x32 or 8x32, for the 10x I might look to the EL. For the 8x , eye box wise I don’t think it makes a difference, Botha re easy. If you want the extra FOV and a little less flat field with better panning, go NL, otherwise NL, EL image quality is extremely close. It’s not the difference between an Ultravid and a Noctivid, IMO.

Paul

I think the 8x42NL and the 10x32NL are the both Binos who gets much better than the older EL Series.
Also in Low Light for a 3,2mm EP the NL works good.
My Conclusion is, I would go with the 10x32 NL.
Pleased you like the NL's, what's not to like though. I was blown away when I looked through some NL's.

Personally I would have gone 10x42 and 8x32 not 10x32 and 8x42 but, to each his own.😉

@modest_hero (OP), we can also safely say that you are one hell of a real modest_writer !!!!!!!! 😝
36 answers to your question, not a word, not a thank's, nothing !... a forum doesn't really work that way !!

Last edited:
Pleased you like the NL's, what's not to like though. I was blown away when I looked through some NL's.

Personally I would have gone 10x42 and 8x32 not 10x32 and 8x42 but, to each his own.😉
I was thinking the same thing from the beginning. I definitely notice the 4mm vs 3.2mm EP when I look through both. More in ease of view than brightness. Also, like Paul, I had sight issues with the NLs, the ELs fit my eyes better, no kidney beaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back