• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL Pure objective covers (1 Viewer)

jan van daalen

Being surprised by the mentioning of new objective covers for the Pures I asked Swarovski if they could shed some light on this issue.
No knowledge anywhere of the existence of such an article.

Jan

Being surprised by the mentioning of new objective covers for the Pures I asked Swarovski if they could shed some light on this issue.
No knowledge anywhere of the existence of such an article.

Jan
Hi Jan,

Here's a photo showing the difference between the attachment tab from with my 8x42 NL covers, bought in early September, and a pair bought in January.

Henry

Attachments

• DSC_0427.jpeg
    DSC_0427.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 127
Hi Henry,

Thx.
Inside their is a identification code/number. Is there a difference between them?

Jan

PS

Bought? I assume these are free of charge.

Henry, you are really a lucky person, such a nice binocular and not having to pay anything for it. Will you put the objective covers for sale or wil they be offered to a museum.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Henry,

If you use the NL as a magnifying glass you will read (at least on all my samples) Swarovski optik 2, TPU/PC/1, 740-936A.
It is mentioned on/in the inner ring.
Succes.

Jan

Hi Jan,

No numbers anywhere on my objective covers. I'll see if I can get a photo of a new one with the numbers next to mine without them.

Any other early purchasers out there with blank covers like mine?

Henry

Hi Henry,

At least the first (genuine) cover should/must have this inscription.
It's hard to see, but hidden in the small inner circle in which the objective tube falls in.
It's there, use a flashlight to create contrast.

Jan

You're quite right, Jan, there are some tiny numbers. One of mine reads SWAROVSKI OPTIK 4 PC/TPU/I 678-955A. The other is the same, except instead of a 4 there is a 1.

Henry

So a $10.00 part (objective cover attachment) has caused all the stir about glare in a $3000 glass , only in bino-land can this occur.

Andy w.

You're quite right, Jan, there are some tiny numbers. One of mine reads SWAROVSKI OPTIK 4 PC/TPU/I 678-955A. The other is the same, except instead of a 4 there is a 1.

Henry
OK that's funny, according to the spare parts list of Swarovski this number is issued for the objective covers of the ELSV 8.5x42.
I contacted Swaro again and there is no knowledge of any replacement of the objective cover from the NL Pure.
But if it works for you......
Jan

Well, they don't really quite work so well for me, but I think you've solved the mystery. There must have been an initial shortage of NL objective covers, so Swarovski just substituted EL 42mm covers. They will fit, but the armor thickness of the NL must be thinner than the EL, so the EL cover's attachment taps intrude a little into the exit pupil when they're used on the NL.

Henry

Andy, the glare in the NL is a little worse with the EL objective covers, but it's still there (coming from both external and internal unbaffled surfaces) with the correct covers or no covers.

Last edited:
Andy post 14,
Do not forget that we live in a time that we can not travel, not o ouside cerainly after 9 oçlock in the evening, that we are not allwed to hug anybody, can not receive visitors in our homes except one, the shops are closed and you know that leaves only Birdforum as means to communicate.
Gijs van Ginkel

Henry so you think that the NL has glare problems, how would you say it impacts the use overall, are you still impressed with the optics? Personally I do not see a better 8X42 on the market when all +s/-s are taken into account.

Andy W.

Andy post 14,
Do not forget that we live in a time that we can not travel, not o ouside cerainly after 9 oçlock in the evening, that we are not allwed to hug anybody, can not receive visitors in our homes except one, the shops are closed and you know that leaves only Birdforum as means to communicate.
Gijs van Ginkel
Understood, hope they open things over there soon. Here they are trying to say two masks are better than one (You can't make this stuff up).

Andy W.

Bottom one is the NL cover. Top one a replacement. The NL ones seem to be a bit more fragile. I my case the rubber/more flexible part came loose from the hard plastic part which clicks onto the metal rod. New out of the box. They gave me a replacement which has a different size. Not sure how one can have production issues for these simple parts, but what do I know!

E4AEE918-2323-41DF-AAC8-08B327D5A702.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back